Thread: Stuck on "Saving your settings..."

Stuck on "Saving your settings..."

Hi,

When I log off/restart my PC it takes quite a long time on the "Saving your settings screen".

I read that this could be caused by the welcome screen, so I turned it off and no difference. I also read that it was a bug in XP SP1, I've been on SP2 since it came out so it's nothing to do with that.

2 days ago I made another account and that account doesn't take nearly as long on the "Saving your settings" bit, it's instant through that bit, so it's an account problem... not hardware or anything.

I have also tried closing all my programs before I log off/restart to see if a program was causing this, but it didn't make a difference.

There was a tweak on TweakXP that sped up log off time, the one where you go into the user management and delete the directory paths, but there were no paths in there to start so I couldn't try that.

I have checked the event viewer and there are no errors while logging off / restarting.

I have covered pretty much everything I can think of, so maybe there's a registry key I must refresh or something to fix the problem?

Any ideas please?

Thanks
    Craig.

Did you try deleting that account (Saving your Documents as well) and recreating a new account and just using that?

You could boot into safe mode under administrator account, delete the account with the save documents option , delete the account and then recreate it, if when you try to recreate it and it says the account already exists you can click on START/RUN type in : control userpasswords2 and click OK, then click on Advanced Tab, click on Advanced Button then click on Users and delete the username from there and recreate the account through users Icon in control panel again and see how that fairs. Maybe a messed up service thats getting loaded in that account.

You may have to recreate some of your Shortcuts again of course, and reset your desktop, save your favorites if you have those too before deleting the account..

Pie
    SG Pimp Name : *Treacherous P. Shizzle*
    The fight for our way of life needs to be fought on our own soil, for our own people and because of our own interests.
    Hey, If Me & My Buddies Were Making Billions of Dollars I'd Tell Ya What Ya Wanted To Hear Too!

My Documents are kept on my external, so I'll just turn my external off while I'm doing it, and I'll also backup the stuff on my desktop.

I'd really like to avoid having to re-create the account, but if there's no fix for this problem then I suppose I'll have to

Thanks
    Craig.

Have you got file synchronization turned on?

Nope

Give this a shot.

Cool, it worked thanks.

I installed it, and it fixed the problem, then noticed that it was running in the background, so I uninstalled it to see if the problem would remain fixed, and it did

What exactly does it do? I did read the overview, but that just says that it monitors and makes sure user sessions are completley terminated when the user logs off.

Thanks very much
    Craig.