Thread: Slow speed with new modem

Slow speed with new modem

I have MediaCom internet access at home.
    I have rented my modem for 10 years. (Modem is an RCA DCM215)
    For about six years the rental was $4.00 per month.
    For the last four it has been $3.00 per month.
    Doing the math that is over $500.00 rental on the modem.
    I noticed on Newegg that a Linksys Modem Model BEFCMU10 was on sale for $59.99 with a $20.00 rebate. The shipping was $5.99. My total cost with rebate should end up $45.98.
    I ordered the modem and received it in four days.
    Before I ordered it I call Mediacom tech support and they told me this modem was OK to use on their system. Just hook it up and a log in page should come up... fill out the information and I would be off and rolling. (I knew the system would possibly be looking for the MAC address of the old modem and I understood how to configure it.)
    The modem came in yesterday.
    I removed the old modem hooked up the new modem.
    I got right on the internet just like always.. nothing came up to register.
    OK... having had my service for 10 years I have a feel for speed. The web pages seemed to load ok with the new modem but it seemed I could detect a slight change in speed.
    I noticed the Yahoo home page snapped on the screen and the MSN home page seemed a little "chunky" loading with the new modem... with the old modem they always flowed right onto the screen.
    OK... here is where the differences really started to appear. I had a friend to send me a 3MB video file in email. I knew the message was there because I had checked my email from work via a web based browser access earlier in the day.
    I downloaded my email at home with MS Outlook & NAV 2006 scanning it and it took a few minutes for that process to complete... it seemed a little longer than normal but no big deal. When I went to forward the message with the 3MB file attached it took over 40 minutes for it to complete the send. Normaly that would have taken about say two to four minutes with the old modem I felt like.
    I changed out the modems and did the same send with the old RCA modem connected and sure enough it took just over three minutes to send it.
    Also I did as Speed Guide Speed test two times on each modem:

Linksys BEFCMU10 modem
    Test 1:
    Connection took 11.36 seconds to download a 500B test file
    Bandwidth 0.361Mbps (361 kbps, 44 KBps)
    Test 2:
    Connection took 9.031 seconds to download a 500B test file
    Bandwidth 0.454Mbps (454 kbps, 55 KBps)

RCA DCM215 Modem
    Test 1:
    Connection took 1.468 seconds to download a 500B test file
    Bandwidth 2.79Mbps (2790 kbps, 341 KBps)
    Test 2:
    Connection took 1.703 seconds to download a 500B test file
    Bandwidth 2.405Mbps (2405 kbps, 294 KBps)

Do you think if I call Mediacom and give them the MAC address to the new modem and have them set it up on their system it will correct this problem?

Has anyone experienced this before?
    I would like to own my modem but that is just too much speed difference under the rented modem.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by gbiddle

Do you think if I call Mediacom and give them the MAC address to the new modem and have them set it up on their system it will correct this problem?
    Yes with cable..you want to
    1) Make sure you get a modem that's on the supported list of your ISP...which you appear to have done.
    2) When plugging your new modem in, call your ISPs support..read them the MAC..and have them go in and provision it.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

I called my cable company Saturday morning and they provisioned my modem and that helped a lot.
    Most of my test have been in the three to four second range on the download but I have been testing on the weekend and over the years I have learned weekends seems to have a lot of network traffic and downloads are slower. It will take me a few more days of testing to determine the difference if any. The first test was made at about 4AM CST on a Friday.
    Thanks for the reply YeOldeStonecat.