Thread: 06 Honda Civic Hybrid and Toyota Prius

Blog Entries

Question 06 Honda Civic Hybrid and Toyota Prius

Hi to All

A little Hybrid Tech for you today. My humble opinion...Buy a Diesel.
    ---------

With temperatures lurching from +7 degrees Celsius to -27 in the space of twenty-four hours, and conditions ranging from dry cold to freezing rain, Ottawa's (nightowls hometown) extreme weather is the perfect place to test the limits of Canadian Driver's two long-term Hybrid test vehicles. "If you want to see how a hybrid stands up, this is the place to be," says Paul Williams.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articl...ybridtest2.htm

--

minir

Ya they aren't that impressive.

Blog Entries
    Good Morning YARDofSTUF

I concur YARDofSTUF.

My concerns are once out of warranty the cost of upkeep & maintenance is going to be astronomical. All those batteries & electric motors, plus the gear used to transfer the energy in wheels etc I'm sure is far from cheap.

They sell these vehicles at below their actual build cost now, once entrenched look out.

To me diesel simply makes more sense on all levels, especially the new Euro clean diesel. Its a known commodity without hidden costs and actually gets better mileage to boot.

Just my opinion.

Thanks YARDofSTUF & enjoy your day

--

regards

minir

HI minir,

ya the winter has been pretty brutal this past 2 weeks. I have a mazda 2002protege 5 and has had 0 starting issues. IMO the hibreads are not worth the money yet. I wish the car companies would bring there small desel engines to north america other then VW
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilog B
    Loading the dishwasher at brembo's house means bringing the fiancee a sixpack home.

Blog Entries
    Hi nightowl

Been a tad chilly here as well

As to the diesels coming i believe they are in the works for N. America next year as more people decide to go that route. I drive a Mazda 1/2 ton and have always questioned why no diesel option. It simply makes sense for Fleet use, yet nothing.

Never had a starting issue in either of my Mazda's over the past 15 or so years. The gear shift used to be heavy and hard to use when cold, but i put Synthetic in Trans, Rear-end and Engine, no more problems their.

We have tough Winters and sometimes tougher Summers as the Temps go skyrocketing up into the 90's. Trying to make vehicles to stand up to these conditions is not easy, yet thankfully they do.

I'm not a Hybrid fan at all either nightowl. Too costly, too complex & too expensive for what you get.

Thanks nightowl & have a wonderful day

Go! Canada Go!

--

regards

minir