Thread: Pros and Cons of different firewalls.

Pros and Cons of different firewalls.

Can someone tell me the pro's and con's of some software firewalls out there? Such as people saying that ZoneAlarm sucks. Kerio, Sygate..etc. I use ZoneAlarm because I can control which programs have access to the internet and ones that don't.

Maybe theres someone out there that can change my mind and make me move to some other software firewall other than ZoneAlarm because I'm getting the feeling that it is now holding me back!

I used sygate which was really good and still is I think but I don't believe its being supported anymore.. I don't use it anymore cept on parents computer cause I don't have them behind a nat router which I believe is all you need besides a good anti virus and ad-aware scanner.

I'm behind a NAT Wireless Router, and my DSL modem is also a NAT Router. But i'm still behind a software firewall. any suggestions people?

I use NAT on a router and windows firewall.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by Faction
    Can someone tell me the pro's and con's of some software firewalls out there? Such as people saying that ZoneAlarm sucks. Kerio, Sygate..etc. I use ZoneAlarm because I can control which programs have access to the internet and ones that don't.

Maybe theres someone out there that can change my mind and make me move to some other software firewall other than ZoneAlarm because I'm getting the feeling that it is now holding me back!
    Sygate and Kerio are a bit lighter. Zonealarm has been known to cause quite a few problems with computers also.

Personally I'm fine with the NAT of a router...(not double NAT though..that can cause issues..there' absolutely no gain to double NAT) I don't feel the need for an additional naggy system slowing software firewall. Some people need them though. For me...they're more of a bandaid...IMO the problems of outgoing bugs in your system shouldn't be on your system in the first place.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

My DSL modem is a NAT and so is my wireless router with 4-pors. What should I do? What do you reccomend?

Quote Originally Posted by Faction
    My DSL modem is a NAT and so is my wireless router with 4-pors. What should I do? What do you reccomend?
    operate the dsl modem as a gateway, using the router to sign you in.

you'll be good to go.

i've wanted an outbound only firewall for a long time, but it simply isn't made.
    Strap It On Whenever It Seems Appropriate

http://www.tomsclan.com