Thread: Should I use DSL modem router or external router? (Westell 6100 or Netgear FVS318)

Question Should I use DSL modem router or external router? (Westell 6100 or Netgear FVS318)

Hello,

I recently switched from cable to DSL. The Westell 6100 modem I'm using has routing and firewalling capability.

Currently I'm using the DSL modem in bridged mode and my old Netgear FVS318 handles the firewalling and routing.

I'm getting ready to upgrade to Gigabit (probably Netgear GS116). My dilemma is: Should I keep my current FVS318 for firewalling and routing, or should I throw it out and let the modem handle these tasks? The advantages of throwing out the FVS318 would include lower power consumption, i.e. longer time on battery in the event on power failure and more free space in the structured wiring enclosure. But, is the Westell up to handle the task?

Or, to put it in other words: Is the Netgear FVS318 (ver 1) a better firewall router than the one built into the Westell 6100 ? (Please observe that my FVS318 is the 1st generation with v2.4 software, which no longer is being updated).

Does my choice of router affect the local inter-LAN performance noticably?

Any thoughts/ideas much appreciated!

Thanks,
    Peter
    Last edited by pnielsen; 02-20-06 at 01:46 PM.

thats what i have and i have it connected to my wireless router..just signed in using the dsl and connected it via wan port on my wireless. would there be any difference? i dont think so people please voice out your opinions!

Let's try these questions:

#1 How will router performance affect LAN traffic and how will it affect WAN traffic? For instance, does router performance affect the copying speed of ten 100MB files between two computers on the local LAN?

#2 Is the FVS318 a better/faster/whatever router than the Westell 6100?

Peter