Thread: MySpace and Office Network

MySpace and Office Network

I am a system administrator for a software development company in Denver. I am not too much of a networking person, but I can get basic things done.

We have been experiencing a few outages every so often and I haven't been able to pinpoint to where it is. However, today I have noticed a few additional things that lead to these outages.

Let me first explain our network real quick. We have Qwest DSL and the modem connects to a Linksys 8 port switch. Then from there our servers connect at that level and the two wireless access points. Then all the employees either use the north or south access point depending on where they are.

I have noticed when I visit a friend's profile it is when the network dies. I am using Firefox 1.5.0.1 on OS X and my web browser crashes as well. I go back to the switch and each activity light of the ports connected are flashing. Once I unplug it and wait for a few seconds and then plug it back in, it works fine. I have also tested this on another switch and it does the same.

Is the modem for some reason sending out packets unrouted or what? I hope I have explained this well enough. Oh and this works fine from my connection at home on a Comcast account and Firefox works fine (same machine) Seems odd.
    Last edited by brosner2004; 02-16-06 at 05:16 PM.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    When you talk about "servers"...are you running Windows servers that are running active directory?
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

The servers are simply one Linux and one Windows development servers. Linux is running Debian 3.1 and the other Windows 2003 Advanced Server for IIS and .NET development. I don't think these would be playing a role in these outages. They were offline for some time and they were still occuring.

OK so the Windows server is not running as a domain controller?
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Nope. There is not a domain controller on the network.

Hmm....couple of areas I'd look at then....

1) Should be only 1x device on the network that's running DHCP. Your router probably is, and possibly your *nix server might be too. The Windows one probably isn't, since you seem to just be running it in workgroup mode.

2) You ruled out a bad switch..that was going to be another guess.. Your access points...what make/model are they? Are the without question setup in access point mode? Not in router mode? How are the linked to the switch?

3) Bad patch cables somewhere? Are these "home-made" runs?
    Guinness for Strength!!!

There is only one DHCP server running on the network. It sits above the switch on the Qwest DSL router/modem. I have verified it is not the cabling by trying different ones with same results. I got a little smarter this time and tried to determine what is happening on the network when one of these attacks occur. Oh I have also discovered it is this flash application that triggers the attacks on the network.

Flash App (shorten link... links to myspace flash app)

I did some packet sniffing during an attack and have discovered 192.168.0.1 (the Qwest DSL router/modem w/ DHCP on) is sending DHCP ACK requests to 0.0.0.0 repeatly forever. What is this?