Thread: Why does @home software make my downloads faster?

BoBoish

Question Why does @home software make my downloads faster?

Okay, I did a clean install of Windows ME and noticed that my downloads were a lot slower (100-150kb) but web pages loaded faster. I played around with registry settings to no avail and then decided to download and install the @home 2.0 software and see if that did anything.

Now, I get downloads in the 300-400kb range, but web pages load slower.

What changes does the @home software make in my registry (or whatever else) to make it behave like this?

Any ideas?

Bo.

------------------
    "BUTT KICKING FOR GOODNESS!!"

Killing-Angel

I dont know,but where did you get version 2.0,I have version 1.7 of @home software.

I dont have it on cd,I have 1.6 and if I tried to instal that he automaticaly upgrades to 1.7

I do have spead increase WITH @home software!

therealcableguy

killing-angel

go to http://home-members.excite.com/

------------------
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -Aristotle

Zporttech

This is a first. Usually the @Home software slows things down !

------------------
    Steve
    www.zport.com

BlueJetta

I still shudder at the thought of installing their software though. I think all that's happening is that the proxy server the software is forcing them to is probably faster than their direct connection at this time, or they're hitting @home's cached sites.

Once in a while I can hit one of the two local proxy servers and be faster, but that's pretty rare and it's only when I'm having local routing problems. When I was having speed problems last month, I even used a proxy server in the SF Bay Area that was faster than one my locals!

Lightbulb Why your browser is slower if you download quicker

The reason your browser is slower if your downloading is faster is because the extra 300kbps comes from your connection, and takes it away from other things, if you have 1mbps connection, and your original download speed is 100kbps, your browser speed is 900kbps, if you raise the download speed to 400kbps, your browser will only get 600kbps because your total connection needs to be shared.

Oh yea, i'm 14 years old

Check the date on the thread, I dont think he's hanging around for an answer lol

I live in the sticks behind the bike Shop!!
    Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF
    Check the date on the thread, I dont think he's hanging around for an answer lol
    Yea he's kinda longggggggggggg gone,lol

Owner: Bullseye Promotions Marketing - bpmarketing.info
    Author: Easy Flow Traffic System E-books
    Click image to enlarge
    click image to view full version

To error is human but piss off the wife and all that means nothing!