Thread: Carter LIED!!

Carter LIED!!

Former President Jimmy Carter, who publicly rebuked President Bush's warrantless eavesdropping program this week during the funeral of Coretta Scott King and at a campaign event, used similar surveillance against suspected spies.

But in 1977, Mr. Carter and his attorney general, Griffin B. Bell, authorized warrantless electronic surveillance used in the conviction of two men for spying on behalf of Vietnam. The men, Truong Dinh Hung and Ronald Louis Humphrey, challenged their espionage convictions to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit, which unanimously ruled that the warrantless searches did not violate the men's rights. In its opinion, the court said the executive branch has the "inherent authority" to wiretap enemies such as terror plotters and is excused from obtaining warrants when surveillance is "conducted 'primarily' for foreign intelligence reasons."

http://www.washtimes.com/national/20...0722-2189r.htm

The Liberals continue to play politics with national security. If (when?) a U.S. city goes up in smoke, these same people will be the ones complaining "Bush didn't do enough".

A huge reason we're in this mess in the first place is cuz of that tool.
    Have your feelings been hurt by a random act of E-Thuggery? If so, call 1-800-Waaaaahmbulance, we're here 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, you could be due a large monetary settlement, don't delay, call now.

"Please be careful prior to entering the world wide web, the internet is serious business"

Quote Originally Posted by Prey521
    A huge reason we're in this mess in the first place is cuz of that tool.
    A Limbaugh fan!!!.

Yo jeffe, did you knot read your own article? There was no law governing that type of surveillance in 1977.

The Truong case, however, involved surveillance that began in 1977, before the enactment of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA), which established a secret court for granting foreign intelligence warrants.
    Democrats and some Republicans in Congress say FISA guidelines, approved in 1978 when Mr. Carter was president, are the only way the president may conduct surveillance on U.S. soil.
    However, it would seem that this law was not followed in the current case.

"Under the Bush administration, there's been a disgraceful and illegal decision -- we're not going to the let the judges or the Congress or anyone else know that we're spying on the American people," Mr. Carter said Monday.
    Seems pretty accurate to me.

k.

What bunson is saying is true. The current law was signed into effect in I believe, 1979 during the last bit of the Carter administration. Carter has stated on dozens of occasions that he's always had problems with how it was worded and worried that it might be abused.

Go figure...

I've been following talk radio and specifically, Limbaugh for a couple of weeks over this issue. After Carter blasted the Bush administration over the abuse of power and proclaiming that the Supreme court would rule against them...the national echo went nuts...all proclaiming that this mess is all Carter's fault.

Why would they do that? Political payback for the above..

I am only 17 and do not claim to know a lot about politics but I do remeber the patriot act allowing wiretaps (among other things) with out a warrant.

Carter lied, peanuts died