Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: White House Knew of Levee's Failure on Night of Storm

White House Knew of Levee's Failure on Night of Storm

WASHINGTON, Feb. 9 In the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, Bush administration officials said they had been caught by surprise when they were told on Tuesday, Aug. 30, that a levee had broken, allowing floodwaters to engulf New Orleans.

But Congressional investigators have now learned that an eyewitness account of the flooding from a federal emergency official reached the Homeland Security Department's headquarters starting at 9:27 p.m. the day before, and the White House itself at midnight.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency official, Marty Bahamonde, first heard of a major levee breach Monday morning. By late Monday afternoon, Mr. Bahamonde had hitched a ride on a Coast Guard helicopter over the breach at the 17th Street Canal to confirm the extensive flooding. He then telephoned his report to FEMA headquarters in Washington, which notified the Homeland Security Department.

"FYI from FEMA," said an e-mail message from the agency's public affairs staff describing the helicopter flight, sent Monday night at 9:27 to the chief of staff of Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff and recently unearthed by investigators. Conditions, the message said, "are far more serious than media reports are currently reflecting. Finding extensive flooding and more stranded people than they had thought also a number of fires."

Michael D. Brown, who was the director of FEMA until he resigned under pressure on Sept. 12, said in a telephone interview Thursday that he personally notified the White House of this news that night, though he declined to identify the official he spoke to.

White House officials have confirmed to Congressional investigators that the report of the levee break arrived there at midnight, and Trent Duffy, the White House spokesman, acknowledged as much in an interview this week, though he said it was surrounded with conflicting reports.

But the alert did not seem to register. Even the next morning, President Bush was feeling relieved that New Orleans had "dodged the bullet," he later recalled. Mr. Chertoff, similarly confident, flew Tuesday to Atlanta for a briefing on avian flu. With power out from the high winds and movement limited, even news reporters in New Orleans remained unaware of the full extent of the levee breaches until Tuesday.

The federal government let out a sigh of relief when in fact it should have been sounding an "all hands on deck" alarm, the investigators have found.

rest of story----http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/10/politics/10katrina.html?ei=5065&en=3036248259743cf1&ex=1140152400&partner=MYWAY&pagewanted=print
    "A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."

Bruce Lee

everyone in that city and any part of any admin knew that those levee's couldn't hold up to a direct or slightly indirect hit from a Cat 3 or more storm would cause issues with them... I mean you have one small strip of pushed up land between a lake that is sitting above sea level and crunched up in the middle of that and the Gulf/Miss river is New Orleans... LOL I love how people are still pushing blame on the President or anyone else for that matter.
    You can't stop mother nature.

The response to the disaster is what is in question....
    "A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."

Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by knightmare
    The response to the disaster is what is in question....

the response was good giving the issue that when told to get out the city 2 days before the storm hit hardly nobody left. I couldn't have done it any better either considering people won't listen and do what they want anyway..

Also the fibs from high ranking officials on what they knew and when. Sugar coating their own failings.

Sava, my personal feelings are that when you have thousands of people, smack dab in America and not halfway around the world, going without water, food, and essentials for what amounts to days......somethings wrong.

i blame the mayor, not the white house

SG Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by downhill
    Also the fibs from high ranking officials on what they knew and when. Sugar coating their own failings.

Sava, my personal feelings are that when you have thousands of people, smack dab in America and not halfway around the world, going without water, food, and essentials for what amounts to days......somethings wrong.
    What makes that so good for you, downhill, is that you can point the finger of guilt again.

Naturally, no one needs to know who is responsible in your mind for "something being wrong".

i thought all this had been covered...
    Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
    I often wonder if the voices in my head ever get frustrated because I'm just too damn lazy to climb that clock tower.
    Click image to enlarge
    click image to view full version

Putting words in my mouth again as usual, Patricia...

In a bad mood again?

It was a huge boondogle. Now tell you what, young lady....if you were to do a search as you should have done in the first place, you'll find a post where I do mention that indeed....the mayor, the state, and the feds all screwed up. Period.

The citizens of N.O.? Some of them too. The thing is there wasn't anyway to evacuate them all. Not even close. Did you not watch a single new account of Rita and Houston? Tons of time to get out and yet......everyone that wanted too, couldn't. Period.

That said, how typical of you to turn the attention of the gist of this in the first place. A perfect apologist for a screwed up adminastration...

The thread is about the Whitehouse, lying about what they knew about the levees.

SG Enthusiast
    Putting words in my mouth again as usual, Patricia...

In a bad mood again?

It was a huge boondogle. Now tell you what, young lady....if you were to do a search as you should have done in the first place, you'll find a post where I do mention that indeed....the mayor, the state, and the feds all screwed up. Period.

The citizens of N.O.? Some of them too. The thing is there wasn't anyway to evacuate them all. Not even close. Did you not watch a single new account of Rita and Houston? Tons of time to get out and yet......everyone that wanted too, couldn't. Period.

That said, how typical of you to turn the attention of the gist of this in the first place. A perfect apologist for a screwed up adminastration...

The thread is about the Whitehouse, lying about what they knew about the levees.
    Here ya go, Downhill. The Hurricane made landfall in La. on Aug 29th.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea...0050827-1.html

Excerpt:
    Statement on Federal Emergency Assistance for Louisiana

The President today declared an emergency exists in the State of Louisiana and ordered Federal aid to supplement state and local response efforts in the parishes located in the path of Hurricane Katrina beginning on August 26, 2005, and continuing.
    You know, many people made mistakes during the onslaught of Hurricane Katrina, but few have the mentality of a carpet bagger who would capitalize on the human errors in order to feed their personal agenda.

When does it end?

FEMA is the Federal Emergency Management Agency. FEDERAL.
    That is really scary that you people are actually still holding the people of NO responsible when this is what our government has this agency in place for. To handle emergencies of this type efficiently and safely.
    I still can't get over how people take all this lying, oversight, preferencial treatment towards certain vendors/contractors and mismanagement by the current administration on such a grand scale, so lightly.
    SG Pimp Name : *Treacherous P. Shizzle*
    The fight for our way of life needs to be fought on our own soil, for our own people and because of our own interests.
    Hey, If Me & My Buddies Were Making Billions of Dollars I'd Tell Ya What Ya Wanted To Hear Too!

Brown is definatley trying to cover his arse, but who can blame him? Even if he had done a better job who could say the resources he needed would have been provided. He needed the authority to say: "This is what I need, give it to me yestereday.", and he didn't have it.

The fact that Bush was vacationing as the storm hit pretty much sums up the Govt's response to Katrina.

Just imagine if the hurricane had hit the Hamptons, they would have been airlifting in caviar!
    Feelings about religion: I believe in a dogma-free personal Prime Mover.

mean 'ole levee....
    Tao_Jones Cult Member since 2004
    I gave Miss Manners a Dirty Sanchez, and she LIKED it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahnn
    You know, many people made mistakes during the onslaught of Hurricane Katrina, but few have the mentality of a carpet bagger who would capitalize on the human errors in order to feed their personal agenda.

When does it end?
    A what? I have not a clue why you insist on being so outwardly crass but hey...if that's your bag, have fun with it.

Good grief..........take it to this board because you can't say and act the same way on your own. Have a good one...

The whole objective is to show what a LIE this current Administration is. First they didn't know--now it shows they did. Another lie among all the others of WMD, uh hey BTW I thwarted a terriost attack in LA, 2002 ( ya, that's the ticket).....

What is sad is people are so conditioned to go along with whatever happens. They do so at their own demise. Bottom line as in alot of situations--

Bush Lied--People Died.....

Bruce Lee

Here is another example of how the current admin works--

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060208/...MzBHNlYwM3MDM-

They're Laughing At Us:

DeLay Given Seat On Subcommittee Overseeing Justice Department's Handling Of Abramoff Investigation ...

'Indicted Rep. Tom DeLay, forced to step down as the No. 2 Republican in the House, scored a soft landing Wednesday as GOP leaders rewarded him with a coveted seat on the Appropriations Committee.

DeLay, R-Texas, also claimed a seat on the subcommittee overseeing the Justice Department, which is currently investigating an influence-peddling scandal involving disgraced lobbyist Jack Abramoff and his dealings with lawmakers. The subcommittee also has responsibility over NASA a top priority for DeLay, since the Johnson Space Center is located in his Houston-area district.'

"Allowing Tom DeLay to sit on a committee in charge of giving out money is like putting Michael Brown back in charge of FEMA Republicans in Congress just can't seem to resist standing by their man," said Bill Burton, spokesman for the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee.

Bruce Lee

SG Enthusiast
    A what? I have not a clue why you insist on being so outwardly crass but hey...if that's your bag, have fun with it.

Good grief..........take it to this board because you can't say and act the same way on your own. Have a good one...
    Oh, you can't handle rebuttals? Your angst for the Bush administration is well known here. What have I done wrong?

Sarahann...I can handle rebuttles just fine. Give me one related to this thread and not something with a redirect or with venom intended for another member. Neither are related to the topic, which is, the Whitehouse, once again lying about something.

This is the topic here...

Emerald Triangle looking for EA and some trainwreck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bastid
    i thought all this had been covered...

Quote Originally Posted by ace

EXACTLY!!!