Thread: t1 connection

t1 connection

Hello,

How many game servers with a good amount of people in em' (about 16) will i beable to run on a t1 connection? I want the servers not to be laggy tho. Can you give meh some sites with this imfomation.

thx.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkhead
    Hello,

How many game servers with a good amount of people in em' (about 16) will i beable to run on a t1 connection? I want the servers not to be laggy tho. Can you give meh some sites with this imfomation.

thx.

lockage/// posted it twice :0

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    It depends on the game...you find out what kind of bandwith the game server you are running needs, per player. You benchmark your connection..giving you a "rough estimate".

Example, for Battlefield 1942/Vietname...a T-1 will support a single server running about 20 players or so....

A T-1 isn't very much bandwidth for todays games..which are very bandwidth hungry. The game server we were running for a while, ran 3x Battlefield servers...and would often hit 10 megs upload...I think 11.6 was the highest it hit.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

lockage/// posted it twice :0
    can i add bandwidth to the t1 cheaply? should i try doing a ts and ventrillo company because i know how to and a t1 should be able to run many multiple client servers?

TS and Ventrillo...they don't need much for bandwidth, yeah they'll run fine. I run our SG TS server on a T-1.

Can you add bandwidth to a T-1 cheaply? No...a full T-1 is a just a T-1...about 1.5 megs..that's it. If you want something scalable, you'll be looking at a DS-3...purchase bandwidth in chunks..up to 45 megs. I hope you realize you're paying insane monthly rates at this level though..you'll be having a comma in your monthly bill.

"Should be able to run multiple servers." Again...it depends on what games you wish to run. Some older games that do not require much bandwidth..like Quake 2, Quake 3, Unreal Tournament...sure, you can run several of those. But as I mentioned, todays current games are bandwidth hungry. Take Battlefield 1942 for example. Each client, depending on various settings, can take from 50 - 80 KB/s of bandwidth. Some basic math involved...but that's an example of just one game. Full T-1..a meg and a half of bandwidth, for just 16 - 20 players. You want 32 players? You'll need a solid 3 meg connection. 64 players? Now you're up over 6 megs.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
    TS and Ventrillo...they don't need much for bandwidth, yeah they'll run fine. I run our SG TS server on a T-1.

Can you add bandwidth to a T-1 cheaply? No...a full T-1 is a just a T-1...about 1.5 megs..that's it. If you want something scalable, you'll be looking at a DS-3...purchase bandwidth in chunks..up to 45 megs. I hope you realize you're paying insane monthly rates at this level though..you'll be having a comma in your monthly bill.

"Should be able to run multiple servers." Again...it depends on what games you wish to run. Some older games that do not require much bandwidth..like Quake 2, Quake 3, Unreal Tournament...sure, you can run several of those. But as I mentioned, todays current games are bandwidth hungry. Take Battlefield 1942 for example. Each client, depending on various settings, can take from 50 - 80 KB/s of bandwidth. Some basic math involved...but that's an example of just one game. Full T-1..a meg and a half of bandwidth, for just 16 - 20 players. You want 32 players? You'll need a solid 3 meg connection. 64 players? Now you're up over 6 megs.
    Hehe don't worry about the t1 payment. My dad's owns the company and pays for it. I have a question, what's the difference between a t1 and a cable modem? If they have the same bandwidth how are they different. I was thinking if i set up a ts=ventrillo company i could maybe have 100 costumers and each server will cost about 20$, so 20times100 is about 2000$
    Once i save up some money i could maybe transfer to a t3 line and run some game servers to. and grow and grow and grow

p.s sorry my english is whack

Hehe don't worry about the t1 payment. My dad's owns the company and pays for it.

I have a question, what's the difference between a t1 and a cable modem?
    If this is a company T-1...meaning, a T in place for a business network to run on...then you'll have less bandwidth "available" to run your servers. Unknown amount of existing workstations sitting on the network...with traffic. Possibility of a mail server onsite, possibility of other servers like VPN, remote access, WSUS servers, well..lots of unknowns. That 1.5 megs suddenly gets eaten up with other constant traffice. Firewall issues. And the possibility that it's not even a full T-1.

Difference between a T and home broadband? Lots. T's are symmetrical for one, broadband is not.

Here's a quick read..
    http://forums.speedguide.net/showthread.php?t=193374
    Guinness for Strength!!!

If this is a company T-1...meaning, a T in place for a business network to run on...then you'll have less bandwidth "available" to run your servers. Unknown amount of existing workstations sitting on the network...with traffic. Possibility of a mail server onsite, possibility of other servers like VPN, remote access, WSUS servers, well..lots of unknowns. That 1.5 megs suddenly gets eaten up with other constant traffice. Firewall issues. And the possibility that it's not even a full T-1.

Difference between a T and home broadband? Lots. T's are symmetrical for one, broadband is not.

Here's a quick read..
    http://forums.speedguide.net/showthread.php?t=193374
    this is whats running in the network

webserver www.eaglecondev.com
    email server
    ftp
    max workers on at a time would be 5

can't be too much

\
    YOS, you can buy NxDS1 service. You'd run it as MultiLink PPP..
    You can have a bunch of T1s in the bundle.. If one T1 drops, it just drops back the bandwidth by 1.5M and you can still chug along on the others.

Pretty neato.. Add and drop as needed
    Simply run adaware, spybot, ZoneAlarm, HijackThis, AVG, update windows daily, have a router, don't open e-mail, turn off action scripting, don't use P2P networks, don't violate EULAs, and wear a condom to get Windows secured.

People say Linux is alot of work!