Thread: Can't access BEFSX41 router after VPN setup

Can't access BEFSX41 router after VPN setup

I have been trying to setup a VPN connection to my BEFSX41 router and have found a strange problem. I'm following the instructions in the linksys user's guide (PDF) for setting up an IPSec tunnel (Appendix C in the document). After I set up all the filters, tunnels, etc., and then do the final "assign IP Security Settings" (Step 4), I can no longer access my router at http://192.168.1.1 (Step 5). If I unassign the settings applied in Step 4, I can access my router. Any idea what's going on?

Also, is this the recommended way to setup a VPN connection with this router? I'm trying to setup my laptop to be able to access my home PC (that sits behind the BEFSX41) when I'm away from home. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Cobo

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    What firmware are you running?
    1.45.7, until about a month ago, was generally held as the most stable and functional.

If you run any version of 1.50x....immediately move to a better one...1.50x is horrible.
    1.51x is better....still some issues.
    Quite a few 1.52x versions....they recently came out with official 1.52.9 which has been reported by many as excellent.

The sx41 was designed more as a VPN endpoint for a "router to router" VPN tunnel, it's like they started to work on software VPN client support with it..but after Cisco bought them out....they focused their VPN attention to the new (and excellent) RV0 business grade line of routers. If VPN is really imporant to you, I'd suggest looking into picking up one of these, ideally their 082 or 016 models which, on top of IPSec VPN, also support native Windows PPTP VPN. There is a baby 042 model which only supports IPSec VPN with their "QuickVPN client". It's not proven as reliable as their rock solid PPTP VPN hosting.

Flogator over at DSL reports has a help guide on the sx41 with Sentinal VPN client software.
    http://pages.videotron.com/flogator/
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

I don't think it's the firmware ...

Thanks for the reply. I don't think it's the firmware. I'm running 1.52.9, Jan 11 2006, which seems OK. My problem comes up when I'm configuring my Windows XP machine for IPSec. After I assign the security settings, and then open up my browser to access the router (192.168.1.1), my browser says it's an unknown URL. If I undo the security settings, I can access the router. So it seems to me like a problem in Windows more so than the router.

Anyway, I think I'll take your advice on getting a different router. But I'd like to get a wireless router with a 4-port switch. Does the WRV54G offer IPSec and PPTP, like the 082/016?

Thanks!

Cobo

I don't believe the wrv does PPTP, no. IPSec, yes, using the Linksys QuickVPN client.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

I just downloaded the user guide for the RV082 to see how the VPN setup would go before I bought one. Unless I missed it, the only information in the user guide for setting up a VPN connection is to use the Quick VPN software. How do I go about setting up a "rock solid PPTP" VPN connection?

Thanks!

Get fairly recent firmware (current is 1.1.6.14 I believe)

Click on the black "VPN" tab
    Click on the blue "PPTP Server" tab all the way towards the right.
    Enable it
    Add users
    Once users are added, don't forget to click on the "Save Settings" link way at the bottom of the page.
    Guinness for Strength!!!