Thread: Internet speed over Wireless - SLOW

Angry Internet speed over Wireless - SLOW

I am a new member and already have a problem, hope someone can help me out.....

When I use my wireless adapters (54mbit) I get poor speeds when browsing internet, downloading files (http/ftp) etc. even when my Laptop is next to my router and on different channels.
    Using a cable to my router there is no problem.

My maximum speed using the cable is 16Mbit/s, wireless it does not get above 4Mbit/s

My Router is a NetGear WGT624 with WPA encryption, all firewalls etc are turned off.

Is ther maybe anyone that can help me out? I already searched a lot of post on this and other forums and was not able to find a solution.

the speedtest I use is on http://speedtest.bbned.nl
    which gives me very accurate numbers.

Cyberspace - except when I have to sleep then my unconscious fat @$$ can be found in Utah

Have you tried other speed test sites?

I never put too much stock in those Internet speed tests. There are a number of other factors (e.g. ISP hardware problems, Internet traffic as a whole, testing server load, etc..) that can cause those tests to register much lower than your connection really is.

You might want to try to run speed tests on a number of different sites just to make sure that the one in The Netherlands isn't just being flaky today.

Veel geluk ermee!!

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Have you really explored changing all your channels?

Other neighboring wireless LANs nearby? Change your default SSID also, sometimes someone else nearby has the same router, and if you're leaving the SSID the same....they can interfere.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by baccara5 View Post
    I am a new member and already have a problem, hope someone can help me out.....

When I use my wireless adapters (54mbit) I get poor speeds when browsing internet, downloading files (http/ftp) etc. even when my Laptop is next to my router and on different channels.
    Using a cable to my router there is no problem.

My maximum speed using the cable is 16Mbit/s, wireless it does not get above 4Mbit/s

My Router is a NetGear WGT624 with WPA encryption, all firewalls etc are turned off.

Is ther maybe anyone that can help me out? I already searched a lot of post on this and other forums and was not able to find a solution.

the speedtest I use is on http://speedtest.bbned.nl
    which gives me very accurate numbers.
    please visit www.copleyweb.com.au for more information

it could be a host of many things,

1. check the routers set up page some routers are set to limit the speed to connected wireless devices
    2. the usb 2.0 driver up to date and working correctly? some older computers need to be updated for it to work correctly, go to the device manager and make sure you dont have any yellow question marks on your universal serial bus controllers if there is try a automatic update from the internet
    3. go to your routers setup page and make sure it is set to 802.11g or auto for connected devices
    4. if all else fails try your friends usb wireless device and see if it works any faster or buy another one at walmart if you get the same results just return it

my best guess its the router something in how it is set up, since you are right next to the source it should be strong enough without any interference or packet loss
    Last edited by dissturbbed; 10-22-08 at 09:48 AM.

MM baccara5,,,

Have checked out the internet speed in the site internet speed test it shows the result accurately..

Same issue

I have a Netgreat WGR614v10 and when I connect direct I get 5Mb/s. When I use an ethernet port on the router...same speeds. When I go wireless, it drops to 1.5Mb/s. I have multiple computers so that has been vetted.

I use speedtest.net.