Thread: Newest upgrade!

Jen's Best Friend RoscoPColtrane's Avatar

Newest upgrade!

Just purchased a 2 gig dual channel kit from newegg. its the patriot brand, lifetime warantee. My brother is using a gig in his system and said he loves it. So i said why not and purchased it.

Best part is now im gonna sell my 512 xms to a friend of mine along with my 9800pro and its pretty much offsetting the price of the ram. Plus i get to toss in another 512 in my older system and get it back up to speed.

2 for one!

Can't wait to kick BF2 settings ALL up. I currently have textures on med.
    ****************************************************************************************
    Abit NF7-S 2.0, Barton 2500+ @ 2.2 Ghz, 2 Gig ddr3200, 80gig Seagate HDD, ATI x850 PRO @ 550/600, WinXP Pro

J B K M

Pittsburgh Steelers Super Bowl XL Champions!!!!!

Cool man! Let me know how you like it, I see that Patriot RAM on NewEgg all the time but haven't heard much about the brand.

I actually know two people with it. Both gave good reviews. I will let you know how it goes. I noticed there isn't too many reviews on newegg, maybe if i like it i will put a few words down for it. Seems these smaller companies have trouble getting the reviews that Corsair and crutial and whatnot get.
    ****************************************************************************************
    Abit NF7-S 2.0, Barton 2500+ @ 2.2 Ghz, 2 Gig ddr3200, 80gig Seagate HDD, ATI x850 PRO @ 550/600, WinXP Pro

J B K M

Okay so far im less than impressed. The install was perfect, the quality is great. Price was good, however im not noticing much of a difference at ALL in the gameplay of BF2. ESC to menu is faster and quitting to desktop is alot smoother, gameplay is no change at all. Gonna kick the graphics to full and see how she runs....

I guess it was just as good as it can get at the settings i had it! gonna take textures to max and see what happens...

J B K M

so you jumped from 1 gig to 2 gig and didn't really notice a difference? how about performance in other uses?

i'm building a computer for music production/video recording and editing....you think 2 gig would be worth it?

But the quality of the memory is good though otherwise? Thanks

it's nice, but not necessaryly need. I find the 2gigs helps the most when I'm running multiple programs (encoding etc) and play bf2.

I dont see how it would have helped gameplay. If you suck, then adding some extra memory isn't going to make you a better gamer. ( j/k)

Think about what the memory is actually doing. Before, you were semi-dependant on the swap file to play bf2. Not heavily dependant, but the usage was definately there. Now, it's barely being used for anything.
    Strap It On Whenever It Seems Appropriate

http://www.tomsclan.com

You've already seen the biggest advantages in game from BF2 for getting in on validation of client and exiting which hogs the ram at those points.. then in game you should notice it a little smoother running rather than choppy running. But as for BF2 it will do the same for any application on starting up and ending quicker which again pulls alot of the ram.

just me... but I noticed a huge difference in going from 1 - 2

Quote Originally Posted by Izzo
    just me... but I noticed a huge difference in going from 1 - 2

Ya I did as well.

I think my system needs a format honestly. It runs like crap. Im gonna do that then give you a better idea of if it helps. i was hoping to be able to kick the textures to high but that wasn't happening for some reason. Ending game and alt-tab kicks ass now. instantly into desktop where before it took a few seconds.

All in all im gonna format and see if that helps out some, its been a while!

J B K M

Quote Originally Posted by zooner

I dont see how it would have helped gameplay. If you suck, then adding some extra memory isn't going to make you a better gamer. ( j/k)
    "A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."

Bruce Lee

LOL not the game play the performance, which effects the gameplay. I might wait till after this weekend to format that way my computer is ready to rock for the superbowl (recording it and transfering the files to be burnt). Plus i have to backup some stuff first....

One thing i noticed is the computer booted smoother on the 2nd restart with the new ram.....anyone know why that is? seemed to be about 30 seconds faster....

J B K M