Thread: Which Passphrase for WiFi is correct?

GentleBee

Which Passphrase for WiFi is correct?

Hi,

I just got a old Alcatel SpeedTouch 570 wireless modem/router. I noticed that it does not come with any field for me to enter a Passphrase to generate a HexDecimal encryption key. I would like to change the default HexDecimal key that is located at the back of the physical product. So, I went to:

http://www.powerdog.com/wepkey.cgi ,and
    http://www.digitwebsites.com/wepkeys.php

I would like to use the 128-bit WEP key, and entered "appleorange20hit" as the passphrase for both cases. But, the result from both sites are different. So, is there something wrong with one of the sites, or I missed out on something very important?

Result below:
    1. Passphrase: appleorange20hit
    128-bit (104-bit) key -- > 55F3723EC0836E20DE4B5E458F (powerdog)

2. 1. Passphrase: appleorange20hit
    128-bit key -- > 6170706c656f72616e67653230686974 (digitweb)

Oh yes, I tried using 13 chars, and it came out this way:

Result below:
    1. Passphrase: appleorange20
    128-bit (104-bit) key -- > 7BC20C0D1A4FE18B0FC3E7ED14 (powerdog)

2. 1. Passphrase: appleorange20
    128-bit key -- > 6170706c656f72616e67653230 (digitweb)

Regards.

Xcusme
    I quickly read the pdf on that router. Unless there's a newer firmware for it, you're pretty much stuck with using WEP, it beats nothing.

Don't worry too much about using a Passphrase to get a generated Hex WEP code. Just pick 26 characters and copy/paste that code into the 128bit WEP code window. Since different manufacturers use a different way of generating the Hex string from your 'Passphrase" a Linksys router won't always connect to a wireless adaptor that uses a different manufacturer, say Dlink, that uses a different way to generate it's code, even when using the same passphrase. I know that sounds confusing, but it's easier in the end to pick the hex code string, like in your post (55F3723EC0836E20DE4B5E458F) and use that code for both the router AND the laptop, or wireless adaptor's client manager. For the 128bit code, you'll need 26 hex characters.

You may find it easier to goto directly into your router from your web browser and not use the software wizard for your router, to enter the info. Type the IP address of your router into the address line (URL line) of your browser, enter login/password to router and use the Web based menus to config the WEP code. By default, your router should have an IP in the 10.0.0.x range, check the router manual for the default router IP address. BTW, be sure to change the routers default password, turn off UPNP if it's offered, change the SSID of the router,and turn off ICMP (become un-pingable on the Web).

GentleBee

Wow! Thanks

XcusMe, Thank you for the explanation. It is very clear indeed ... and I am a bit wiser now. Now, to look around for a newer firmware (if any) to remove the uPNP as I discovered that the current version does not provide an option to remove it.

Thank you once again!

Xcusme
    There's really no need to go looking for it....if you don't see the option in the setup menus of your router, it's not an option you have to worry about.