Thread: PPPoE in Router or Modem

PPPoE in Router or Modem

I am on Earthlink ADSL. The modem they sent me (Netopia) does PPPoE or this feature can be shut off. I also have an IOgear Boss-200 router. Should I do the PPPoE in the router or the modem? Also, shoult I set the computers going into the router to an MTU of 1496. I plan to add a hawking HBB-1 speedbooster between the router and the modem. Will this help? I know that uncapping a modem is illegal but what about replacing the modem with a faster one. i am thinking of replacing the Netopia modem with a Speedtouch DSL modem which has a faster advertised speed. Adviise Please

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    If I had a choice of routers, I'd take the highest performing one. Netopia is a higher end brand, they make very fast hardware, when I had DSL, for a while I ran on ma 3546...SNET/SBC shipped those with their 6 meg business DSL packages. Rock stable and fast. Features on the web admin many not be as rich as some consumer grade broadband routers, but for most situations you don't use much anyways.

I don't know which model Netopia you have...but as far as "uncapping"...it's not the modem that controls your speed, if you have a 3,000/768 account...putting a modem that can sustain 10 megs will not increase your speed..you'll only get up to what they give you.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

The modem is a NETOPIA 3341-ELN. The configuration screen allows me to turn off the PPPoE but also says something about the upload speed being 191 and the downloasd sppeed being 384. If I turn off the PPPoE here, I would have to turn it on in the router. All the computers feeding the router have MTU set at 1492 ands RWIN set at 64240. I seem to get 161/90 even if I change the RWIN on the computers. Since changing the RWIN does not change upload/dpownload speeds, i would assume the router or modem is reforming packets and changing settings in the computers does not accomplish anything. I guess the question i would have to ask is how do you tweak a complex system with several variables like this.

fem the retarded rabbit mccoffee's Avatar
    try an rwin for 63888 mutiple with mss

You woudl keep the netopia in bridge mode also make sure nat is turned off as well make
    Comptia a+ n+