Thread: New to cable internet - keep losing connection

New to cable internet - keep losing connection

Varies from 5 minutes to an hour, but every so often I will just lose the connection. All I have to do to get it back is disconnect then immediately reconnect the ethernet cable from either the modem or the port on the pc. It is a Morotola Surfboard SB5120 and I'm with comast. I've contacted them and they remotely analyze but the modem was connected at the time. They said call back when connection lost again (unfortunately my 3 yo is awake now so that would prove difficult).

Just looking for general ideas on what this might be. I do have the modem plugged into the wall, btw, and I have tried re-cycling.

Thanks for the insight,
    B

your unhooking the cat5 cable from the pc?? I'd reboot the modem... unplug it for like 2mins then plug it back up... let it sync back up and see how it goes.. go here and post what your signals are http://192.168.100.1/signal.htm

your unhooking the cat5 cable from the pc??

Yes, but I usually do it from the modem. I discovered in "checking all connections" that it works no matter which end of the Cat5 I disconnect/reconnect.

Not sure what specific info you wanted from the link (thanks, btw) so here is what it said...

Frequency 699000000 Hz
    Signal to Noise Ratio 36 dB
    QAM 256
    Network Access Control Object ON
    Power Level 0 dBmV The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading

Upstream Value
    Channel ID 1
    Frequency 19504000 Hz
    Ranging Service ID 1260
    Symbol Rate 2.560 Msym/s
    Power Level 45 dBmV

Thanks for the help. You obviously are lightyears ahead of me with this stuff so apologies if I'm very confusing!

-b

hmm well it doesn't appear to be a power level issue with your modem.. but unhooking the cat5 network cable from the modem or the computer isn't nessasary.. just unplug the modem "POWER" cable for a few mins then hook it back up and see how it runs for a while..this reboots it.

Also make sure with comcast tech support that they have your correct Mac ID from the back of the modem on record so your getting the connection your supposed to.

Thanks. I will use the power cord now to restart. Will also verify Mac id with Comcast.

Interesting that connection is fine when I'm NOT using it. Always ready to go when I fire up Explorer. I just lose it shortly thereafter.

Again, thanks.

-b

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by bsid
    Always ready to go when I fire up Explorer. I just lose it shortly thereafter.

Again, thanks.

-b
    How good of shape is your PC in? I see you're not behind a router....which introduces the question of if your PC is even protected at all. Up to date quality antivirus software? A software firewall at the very least?

When your PC loses the connection...are you simply losing your OS's ability to connect to the internet? Or do you think your cable connection is actually dropping? That's two different things there...a computer infested with certain viruses/adware/spyware can lose internet connectivity through several means...due to hosed TCP stack and winsock files. Next time it goes down...run an IPCONFIG at the command prompt..see if you still have a legit IP address from your ISP.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!