Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firefox Myths

Exclamation Firefox Myths

Firefox Myths

Myth (Definition) - A fiction or half-truth, especially one that forms part of an ideology. While Firefox is a decent Web Browser, there are numerous Myths floating around the Internet regarding it. Hopefully this site will debunk some of these.

We have all seen these banners before or heard people say "Firefox is Faster, Firefox has Lower Requirements, Firefox is Secure, Firefox defends me from all Spyware, etc." How misleading is it? Read on.
    Good Stuff.

Good read. I've had Firefox for a few weeks, just to say I tried it, and I have to say little about it impresses me. It definitely is not faster, and has frozen up on me a number of times on sites using Java content. Its lack of active x support renders it useless for websites that require it.
    Observe everything...focus on nothing..

I would have to say that site is wrong.

Try try running IE6 on a 486 system LOL

also the size, FF takes up 4 megs zipped and 9 uncompressed, where is this 52 meg number?

Opera is the fastest right now, thats a given

Tweaking FF, it is faster for me than IE tweaked

As for security it will be abotu as bad as IE cuz of its popularity. But I like not having ActiveX on it, more browsers not using activex maybe help decrease its popularity.

Using adblock FF can block web based spyware

It looks liek the author jsut downloaded FF and broswed, didnt care to set it up and play with extensions.

Oh well.

Read the sources. IE6 can run on Windows 98 on a 486.

Quote Originally Posted by Mastertech
    Read the sources. IE6 can run on Windows 98 on a 486.

I read it, and yes it would run but how well is my point. And even though FFs reqs are higher I would bet that it would run on the 486 as well. Its just stupid to run it on that system, well it would be stupid to run that system at all LOL

Both can run on all the systems out in use today.

LoL....I got no popups on any of the tests and I don't even use adblock.

FF 1.5

Not sure about the rest..

Firefox is faster than IE out of the box.... try these too

ow To Speed Up Firefox

Here's something for broadband people that will really speed Firefox up:

1.Type "about:config" into the address bar and hit return. Scroll down and look for the following entries:

network.http.pipelining network.http.proxy.pipelining network.http.pipelining.maxrequests

Normally the browser will make one request to a web page at a time. When you enable pipelining it will make several at once, which really speeds up page loading.

2. Alter the entries as follows:

Set "network.http.pipelining" to "true"

Set "network.http.proxy.pipelining" to "true"

Set "network.http.pipelining.maxrequests" to some number like 30. This means it will make 30 requests at once.

3. Lastly right-click anywhere and select New-> Integer. Name it "nglayout.initialpaint.delay" and set its value to "0". This value is the amount of time the browser waits before it acts on information it receives.

If you're using a broadband connection you'll load pages MUCH faster now

IE feels like running some crappy ass old car after using firefox
    Asus p4p800 Deluxe Mobo - Pentium 4 3.2 @ 3.6 - Thermaltake Spark7 HSF - Geil Golden Dragon PC3200 - ATI Radeon x850 XT PE 256mb - Maxtor 120 GB 8mb cache - Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 - Altec Lansing 5.1 Sattelites w/sub - Cooler Master Cavalier 3 case

You might want to check out the source on the speed information, it clearly shows IE to be faster than Firefox in everything but script speed "out of the box". All the tests are fully documented and reproduceable.

Theres also a "Faster Fox" extension you can install too.

You might want to check out the source on the speed information, it clearly shows IE to be faster than Firefox in everything but script speed "out of the box". All the tests are fully documented and reproduceable.

We can read. We disagree. If IE was faster, we'd probably be more likely to use it.

Is this your site or something?

Why not fully tweak out both IE and FF? and why not add Opera. Its not so much a myth but a review and benchmark.

You are welcome to disagree but it doesn't change the facts. Do you have any site with official testing results like the speed test source that proves it? And I am not talking about using Fasterfox or and tweak but the default installs. That is the problem, alot of people "think" it is faster but are unable to prove it.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    I'm still sticking to my Opera! Leaves FF in the dust speedwise. And stability wise.

Lots of inconsistant data out there anyways, I had read from several sources that in closing out 2005...FF had garnered something like 14 - 18% of the browser share. That 8.9% they quoted was just from one source, WebSideStory, but several other sources indeed had them in the solid teens.

The security thing gets twisted around quite a bit. I don't think anyone has ever claimed it's "Secure" meaning 100% secure. I think most people would tend to believe that it's "more secure" though. Yes it does have it's own vulnerabilities..just like I've said a hundred times in the past..."Watch...as it gains the spotlight, more problems will be found. They go after whoever is in the spotlight". Today it's FF, tomorrow it may be Opera. IE has access to the operating system with elevated priveledges, active X, amongst other features which get exploited heavily. Plus the security issue always gets thrown out of scale....people home in on the biggest number...IE has 100 vulnerabilities...OH NO...RUN AROUND LIKE A CHICKEN WITH HEAD CUT OFF!!! What..never heard of Windows Updates? pssst...majority were fixed through those. Same with FF or other browsers. Pay attention to updates and you can get some sleep at night.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

You are welcome to disagree but it doesn't change the facts. Do you have any site with official testing results like the speed test source that proves it? And I am not talking about using Fasterfox or and tweak but the default installs. That is the problem, alot of people "think" it is faster but are unable to prove it.

I know that its faster on my systems, how do I prove it? Come over and see. I tried IE, IEx64, FF, and FF dear park(I have XP x64) and I like FF the best, Dear Park is faster than 32bit FF, but doesnt have all the extensions yet, so I stick to FF. FF is also faster on my 1ghz tbird once its loaded, IE will load faster on it though.

I can say something is faster too but you need proof and reproduceable evidence. Which is why I personally ignore all claims without proof.

I can say something is faster too but you need proof and reproduceable evidence. Which is why I personally ignore all claims without proof.

I havent found an accurate way to give proof. and I dont care enough to film it

I am with YOSC..i switched to Opera late last year and havent looked back since.

Yea I use Opera also, I switch between FF and Opera... as long as it isnt IE
    Asus p4p800 Deluxe Mobo - Pentium 4 3.2 @ 3.6 - Thermaltake Spark7 HSF - Geil Golden Dragon PC3200 - ATI Radeon x850 XT PE 256mb - Maxtor 120 GB 8mb cache - Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 - Altec Lansing 5.1 Sattelites w/sub - Cooler Master Cavalier 3 case

Opera is good but you guys should try Avant Browser too.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Tried Avant a while ago, but it's just a skin for IE. Shoots down many reasons for moving away from IE. Besides, they claim to be the fastest browser, I tend to not believe it, performance should be on par with stock IE.
    http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/browserSpeed.html
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Performance is on par with stock IE except it is faster at script speed. Most of the reasons for moving away from IE are unfounded.