Thread: Simple crossover Network not so Simple!!

Simple crossover Network not so Simple!!

I am trying to connect two of my computers together so i got a crossover cable plugged them in together and it says i have limited or no connectivity. I have tinkered around with a few different things but nothing helps. I don't know much about networks. I don't have a hub or router all i have is a crossover and straight networking cable. The cable isn't bad because i tested it using an Ohms meter. I do not know what to do. Thank You!! Any questions let me know.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    How do you have your protocols setup? Letting Windows auto assignment do it? Or assigning an IP manually?
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Thumbs up easy way is assing static ip adress

hi Bhlr

you need to assing a static ip addresses to each machine,

computer A: ip address : 192.168.0.3 (for example)
    subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

computer B: ip address : 192.168.0.4
    subment mask:255.255.255.0

step 1.
    to change ip address on each machine -> control panal -> network connections -> lan-> properties-> TCP/IP( properties) -> use static ip address.

step 2. make sure you have for both computer on same workgroup like MSHOME or WORKGROUP. ( to find out this . control panal -> system-> computer name or network identification(for 200 only) .)

step 3. once you have the ip address and workgroup in place as above share folders (any folder you like.) on both the machines.

step 4. finnaly to check click start-> run->type ( \\192.168.0.4) in computer A then you will see the shared folder from computer B

repeate step 4 with( \\192.168.0.3 )in computer B so that you can access computer A

and add those network places on to your desktop or any where you like.

that's it mate.

enjoy .

Quote Originally Posted by BhLr
    I am trying to connect two of my computers together so i got a crossover cable plugged them in together and it says i have limited or no connectivity. I have tinkered around with a few different things but nothing helps. I don't know much about networks. I don't have a hub or router all i have is a crossover and straight networking cable. The cable isn't bad because i tested it using an Ohms meter. I do not know what to do. Thank You!! Any questions let me know.

I have my machines detect the IP Adress. I'll assign an adress to each computer. I'll see what other problems i can create. I appreciate the help.

i hope you are using cross over for this ?

i hope you are using cross over for this not a striaght thru cable?

Quote Originally Posted by BhLr
    I have my machines detect the IP Adress. I'll assign an adress to each computer. I'll see what other problems i can create. I appreciate the help.

I got the connection up and going, thanks for the help. I am using a crossover cable also.