Thread: Can't Acquire Network Address

Can't Acquire Network Address

I'm trying to get connected to Verizon DSL for the first time, I have a Dell Dimension running XP, I've gone through the install and can't get a connection. I have the icon in the task bar showing the two computers trying to connect, when I hold the mouse over it it says: "acquiring ip address", but it never does. I was on the phone today with Verizon tech support, he tried everything he could think of: couldn't ping anything, tried setting manual ip addresses instead of automatic, tried connecting with USB instead of Ethernet, his final suggestion was that the nic is faulty, however this doesn't make sense to me since it didn't work through USB either. The computer can connect fine through my old dial up connection.
    I tried the install with a Toshiba laptop and it worked fine, so the problem is definitely something to do with the Dell. I don't have a screenshot or text file for ipconfig on the Dell, but I know that all of the addresses are 000.000.0.0 (or something like that).
    Thanks in advance for any help.

fem the retarded rabbit mccoffee's Avatar
    what modem do you own brand and model ? Some require a crossover cable it's rare i have heard of it
    Comptia a+ n+

It's a Westell 6100, no crossover required.

fem the retarded rabbit mccoffee's Avatar
    see if you can connect to http:\launchmodem if not should be a factory resest button on the modem give that a try then the site again.
    Comptia a+ n+

mccoffee:
    no, it won't connect to that nor any other website, nor can I ping any sites. I've reset the modem.
    The problem has something to do with Windows on this computer.

Hey man, if your ipconfig message returned all zeros, you have no IP and Windows will not allow you to connect. Have you run the WindowsXP Networking Wizard? If not, give that a shot and you should have all the files and protocols necessary to connect. Good luck...
    ASUS Rampage IV Formula Intel X-79 Chipset SATA 6.0 Gb/sec USB 3.0 Motherboard
    Intel Core i7 3730K Sandy Bridge-E LGA 2011 @ 3.8 GHz (Turbo)
    16GB Corsair Vengeance (4x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz
    2x EVGA GeForce GTX580 Classified Ultra 3072MB in SLI
    2x Western Digital Caviar 500GB HDD
    Samsung 16x DVD-Burner
    Lite-On DVD-ROM
    PC Power and Cooling 1200W PSU
    Silverstone Raven RV01 Case
    Samsung 22" Widescreen Monitor @ 1920x1080

xpsucks

Can't Acquire Network Address

Quote Originally Posted by depawl
    I'm trying to get connected to Verizon DSL for the first time, I have a Dell Dimension running XP, I've gone through the install and can't get a connection. I have the icon in the task bar showing the two computers trying to connect, when I hold the mouse over it it says: "acquiring ip address", but it never does. I was on the phone today with Verizon tech support, he tried everything he could think of: couldn't ping anything, tried setting manual ip addresses instead of automatic, tried connecting with USB instead of Ethernet, his final suggestion was that the nic is faulty, however this doesn't make sense to me since it didn't work through USB either. The computer can connect fine through my old dial up connection.
    I tried the install with a Toshiba laptop and it worked fine, so the problem is definitely something to do with the Dell. I don't have a screenshot or text file for ipconfig on the Dell, but I know that all of the addresses are 000.000.0.0 (or something like that).
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    I have the similar problem.

depawl, were you able to fix it?

Check and ensure you got the correct cables going to the correct sockets at the splitter. Old dial-up does not need a splitter. Broadband does.

Try and stop windows xp services by doing the following:

Click on start and then on run, then type cmd and press ok, then inside of the command box type in the following:

net stop

press enter

then type again

net start

press enter

Close the command screen and restart your computer, then once it comes back on try to go on the internet, it work for me when I try it.

Zeppman1979

I have the same problem with Mr. Depawl
    I'm to connect a Compaq Laptop to my ZyXel P-660R-D1 Modem, and my laptop can't acquire network address. But the modem works fine with my other workstations.

@Mr. Zeppman1979
    I have tried doing what you said but nothing happens, I still got the problem.
    I had this problem, after I have reformatted the laptop, before that, it works just fine.

I solve the case!
    I tried upgrading my operating system. From XP to Vista Basic and it solved the problem