Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking classes online

Taking classes online

This is the first time I've ever taken classes online. I've got 2 classes this semester I'm taking online. It's amazing how far we've come with different ways to teach and take classes. The online medium is pretty amazing. You really have to be a strong willed individual though in order to keep organized and do everything you need to yourself for this. At the college I'm going to they use the Blackboard Learning System. It's pretty cool how it shows you your courses you are in, instructors can post announcements and assignments and it automatically puts it on your calendar. It even has a forum and chat feature for each class. Instructors can post up anything they wish, word docs, actual EXE files, whatever they want to give you for the class. This is pretty neat stuff

What classes are you taking or what degree are you going for?

My XHTML class is online.
    Offensive

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF
    What classes are you taking or what degree are you going for?
    Well, I'm just starting all over again, I had some, ahem, issues when I was last in School, that was like 5 years ago. So now rules have changed, degrees have changed, nothing could transfer cause it had been so long and I did so bad, so I'm starting from ground zero, I have no degree or anything currently.

The degree I'm going for right now is an Associates in Applied Sciences for Programmer/Developer.

The two classes I'm taking right now I'm taking online because I know I'll breeze through them, so I didn't want to take the time to go sit in a class, I can do them on my own, it's Probelm Solving and Programming Concepts, and Intro to Networking, it's required. Then in the fall i'm start hitting up the harder stuff and have in-class classes.

With this degree plan I'll have to know 2 languages, C++ is what i'm going for for sure, I don't now what the second one is yet. Along the way in getting this degree I'm going to do other classes and electives as well, I want 3D modeling and rendering, and game content creation and programming. My goal is to learn D3D programming and OGL programming. My ultimite goal is to be able to write a game engine, Sound, AI, Physics, 3D, the whole deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Izzo
    My XHTML class is online.
    Yeah, it's cool, classes start today, right now one instructor has just the syllabus and course outline up, the other one has like ALL the assignments we'll be doing the whole semester up, and he's got power point presentations for each chapter, and even an EXE program for something. I also like the forum and chat feature, it let's you talk with other students in the class.

I'm actually going to use the Internet for learning, imagine that lol

Quote Originally Posted by Brent
    Well, I'm just starting all over again, I had some, ahem, issues when I was last in School, that was like 5 years ago. So now rules have changed, degrees have changed, nothing could transfer cause it had been so long and I did so bad, so I'm starting from ground zero, I have no degree or anything currently.

The degree I'm going for right now is an Associates in Applied Sciences for Programmer/Developer.

The two classes I'm taking right now I'm taking online because I know I'll breeze through them, so I didn't want to take the time to go sit in a class, I can do them on my own, it's Probelm Solving and Programming Concepts, and Intro to Networking, it's required. Then in the fall i'm start hitting up the harder stuff and have in-class classes.

With this degree plan I'll have to know 2 languages, C++ is what i'm going for for sure, I don't now what the second one is yet. Along the way in getting this degree I'm going to do other classes and electives as well, I want 3D modeling and rendering, and game content creation and programming. My goal is to learn D3D programming and OGL programming. My ultimite goal is to be able to write a game engine, Sound, AI, Physics, 3D, the whole deal.
    Ya I was in a similar situation, been 6 years out of school for me.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF
    Ya I was in a similar situation, been 6 years out of school for me.

I got you both beat......was out for 14 years before I went back ....and Brent ...good luck.
    Offensive

Yeah, it's cool, classes start today, right now one instructor has just the syllabus and course outline up, the other one has like ALL the assignments we'll be doing the whole semester up, and he's got power point presentations for each chapter, and even an EXE program for something. I also like the forum and chat feature, it let's you talk with other students in the class.

I'm actually going to use the Internet for learning, imagine that lol

Yeah , we got a forum also...no chat feature and the board seems dead so far...
    Offensive

I'm taking an on-line class too. Just have to do the reading, show up for exams and participate on the discussion forum.
    It's a throw-away for me too (Windows Networking Essentials) so I figgered I'd take it online to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Abbey
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.

Quote Originally Posted by Blisster
    I'm taking an on-line class too. Just have to do the reading, show up for exams and participate on the discussion forum.
    It's a throw-away for me too (Windows Networking Essentials) so I figgered I'd take it online to check it out.

Lol ...I still have my old essentials text .....pretty useless.
    Offensive

Mine is cool, the book is actually the CompTIA Network+ book that prepares you for the Network+ test, so I guess I could go ahead and go take the CompTIA test as well and get a Network+ certificate.

Though networking isn't the field of study I want to get into, it would be nice to have.
    Last edited by Brent; 01-17-06 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Izzo
    Lol ...I still have my old essentials text .....pretty useless.
    yeah I figured at best it would at least fill in a few gaps here and there in what I do, plus alot more experience working at the command line. I'm also taking a security for Windows Networks class, so together they will be helpful in me getting my MCSA and eventually my MCSE (which means a LOT more money for me at work!)

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Abbey
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.

Blackboard can become a pain with mathematics classes, hit backspace accidentally and your exam grade is gone forever...

Otherwise, it's not bad...

Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle
    Blackboard can become a pain with mathematics classes, hit backspace accidentally and your exam grade is gone forever...

Otherwise, it's not bad...

Blackboard was a POS back in the day.

I still think it is

I don't think I could ever take an online class. I'm too lazy and old fashioned.
    Respect it.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottE
    I don't think I could ever take an online class. I'm too lazy and old fashioned.
    I think I could. Sitting in a classroom...

Quote Originally Posted by Cabledude
    Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers.
    yes?

yes?

Its a hypnotic video to lure brunettes into his bordello.

yes?