Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Started school, Have a good teacher!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
    Just kidding! Get into Small Business networking...it's very lucrative!

On a serious note.

With a A+, Security+, and an MCP cert for XP Pro, what would you think someone could get? My teacher says most people usually start at phone support(yuck!).

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF
    On a serious note.

With a A+, Security+, and an MCP cert for XP Pro, what would you think someone could get? My teacher says most people usually start at phone support(yuck!).

with no experience..yeah phone or 1st level desktop support...probably have to do that for 2 years or so, then move onto a better job.

moneywise...hard to say in NY no less then 30K for phone up to around 40-50K with some exp

Hint: IMO best field to go is Cisco route...very good money..technology changes but nowhere like the desktop and server and once you have the basics down real easy to apply to newer devices

Quote Originally Posted by Augustus
    with no experience..yeah phone or 1st level desktop support...probably have to do that for 2 years or so, then move onto a better job.

moneywise...hard to say in NY no less then 30K for phone up to around 40-50K with some exp

Hint: IMO best field to go is Cisco route...very good money..technology changes but nowhere like the desktop and server and once you have the basics down real easy to apply to newer devices

Cisco as in certs for continued education, or for a job? I was thinking about a CCNA or a windows server of some sort after this.

Cisco as in certs for continued education, or for a job? I was thinking about a CCNA or a windows server of some sort after this.

Both cert and or job..since no experience you probably will need the Cisco certs to get a foot in the door as say 1st level network...Cisco Certs are among the most respected because they are really difficult compared to others. Though i will say MS has gotten tougher over the years...problem is so many have you need something else to stand out.

Then again you have to find something you want to do that you enjoy.

Linux is also getting very huge now in the business world and not as many have the expertise compared to say windows.

Well after getting these I'm gonna try to get my foot in the door anywhere that will pay at least something towards school and has good room for people to grow. Wont be worrying so much about pay.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    On a serious note.

Phone Support? Heck no, just find a place that caters to installing/supporting networks for offices 'n small businesses. There's PLENTY of them out there. They'll usually train on the job, "hands on" is what counts here, not certs. Sure you'll work under a senior network guy for a while, til you prove your stuff. But this area is where the high demand is.

Drive up and down the street...look at all the businesses. Every office you drive by...no matter what kind of business there are...there are computers inside, usually networked together. Oodles of them out there. Law firms, accounting firms, dentists, various non-profit orgs, real estate, contractors/construction, art gallerys, all sorts of levels of service places,..just..any type of business you can think of, they have a computer need. It's a market that's ripe for the picking, and the more lucrative ones are the ones with 10 - 50 or so workstations, and a server or two. "Small Business Server" networks. I have more work coming to me than I can handle. It's that fat of a market out there.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Phone Support? Heck no, just find a place that caters to installing/supporting networks for offices 'n small businesses. There's PLENTY of them out there. They'll usually train on the job, "hands on" is what counts here, not certs. Sure you'll work under a senior network guy for a while, til you prove your stuff. But this area is where the high demand is.

Drive up and down the street...look at all the businesses. Every office you drive by...no matter what kind of business there are...there are computers inside, usually networked together. Oodles of them out there. Law firms, accounting firms, dentists, various non-profit orgs, real estate, contractors/construction, art gallerys, all sorts of levels of service places,..just..any type of business you can think of, they have a computer need. It's a market that's ripe for the picking, and the more lucrative ones are the ones with 10 - 50 or so workstations, and a server or two. "Small Business Server" networks. I have more work coming to me than I can handle. It's that fat of a market out there.

Good to hear

Well after getting these I'm gonna try to get my foot in the door anywhere that will pay at least something towards school and has good room for people to grow. Wont be worrying so much about pay.

Exactly
    Offensive

I need this more than oxygen at this point.
    Offensive

YOSC got the expertise when it comes to small businesses.

So you see you got a lot of choices out there...biggest thing is getting your foot in the door, work your butt off..and learn as much as you can..oh btw there are no unions in IT..or none i know of..LOL =)

In the beginning I went from one company to another as a consultant in 2 years i got a lot of experience and how i was able to get better positions.

Number bases rule.
    Respect it.

Quote Originally Posted by Augustus
    Hey YoS

Have fun..welcome to world of IT...a very fun and rewarding world...
    Not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabledude
    Not for me.

I hope it does pay off ... in the end i'll have a lot invested in this endeavor.

Good luck YoS

and WTF is a number base???
    Offensive

I am in CCNA 3 right now. I will finish the 4th semester in the spring and then I am going to take my test to get certified. I should have my degree in network administartion at the end of next winter semester. All of the admin classes; Windows Sever, Novell Netware, UNIX... etc mke my head hurt lol. The more basic classes are easier (obviously) But the specific ones can be pretty intensive. Have loads of fun with subnetting (if you go the network route) I think they need to keep pusing back IPv6, it does not seem like it is going to be fun at all.... They keep pusing it back, which is good, but eventually they won't be able to push it back...

I'm in CCNA 3 as well. I read somewhere that the expected adoption date for IPv6 is somewhere around 2012, and they expect to completely phase IPv4 out by 2025.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Abbey
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.

I never worked phone support in a call center, although I have supported the phone systems of call centers.

My resume & certs never got me a job.

I've been passing out my business card since I was 17 and the constant flow of people that I have met over the years have helped my career more than anything. "Networking" with other people is a fountain of opportunity.

I view certifications as personal goals and good tools for updating and sharpening skills that I am usually already exercising in the real world.
    "Nobody's invincible, no plan is foolproof, We all must meet our moment of truth." - Guru

Quote Originally Posted by koldchillah
    I never worked phone support in a call center, although I have supported the phone systems of call centers.

My resume & certs never got me a job.

I've been passing out my business card since I was 17 and the constant flow of people that I have met over the years have helped my career more than anything. "Networking" with other people is a fountain of opportunity.

I view certifications as personal goals and good tools for updating and sharpening skills that I am usually already exercising in the real world.

Well I need them to complete my skills so I know what I'm doing in the business world. And hopefully a good resume and interview will land me a job.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by koldchillah

Word of mouth rules! It's a slow and steady built...gotta put in your dues at first for the first year or so.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Well I need them to complete my skills so I know what I'm doing in the business world. And hopefully a good resume and interview will land me a job.
    absolutely.. I'm constantly taking classes as a non-degree seeker and trying to pick up more skills and I'll probably be working on adding/maintaining certs for the rest of my career.

I wasn't tryin' to sound all "anti-certs" or anything, I'm just sayin' I think you're probably quite capable of fixing computers already. You don't have to wait until you finish school and certs and have a nice resume to start gaining valuable experience. Even if you don't go out and get an official job right away, having some cards to pass out and taking on little housecalls in your spare time really helps. Like Stonecat said, you have to pay your dues at first, but its a nice thing to have going on the side, even later on when your career is in motion.
    "Nobody's invincible, no plan is foolproof, We all must meet our moment of truth." - Guru

Well its only day 2 and there have been 5 "lvl 99" jokes written on the board by other students. I'm hoping that gets old fast.