Thread: They are trying to install red light cameras in my town

They are trying to install red light cameras in my town

Seems like some company has offered to front all the cost of the cameras and equipment if they get a % of all the tickets mailed out. WTF. I'm fuming. Just another way of screwing the working man out of his $$$
    My son ... ask for thyself another internet connection, for that which I leave is too slow for thee

Yup, they worry so much about speeding, yet dont change the speed limits from ages ago when cars couldnt turn and stop liek they do now.

I need to get rich and build my own private road.

A 30.06 round thru a camera a week would really cut into profits *hint*.
    Tao_Jones Cult Member since 2004
    I gave Miss Manners a Dirty Sanchez, and she LIKED it.

I don't see the problem. The law says stop at a red light, don't continue through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent
    I don't see the problem. The law says stop at a red light, don't continue through it.

Its not just for that, also for speeding. And what about other companies making a profit on this?

Speed Limits need to be reviewed.

They wouldn't make much money in my city, we only have two intersections with lights.

"Springfield City Attorney Dan Wichmer said, based on the council's recommendation, the city was currently pursuing a camera system that would create images only of the vehicle's rear, where a license plate is required. The council had previously said it did not want to get into issues of driver identification, Wichmer said.

Instead, he said, that issue would be settled either through contact with the city prosecutor or an appearance in court."
    My son ... ask for thyself another internet connection, for that which I leave is too slow for thee

Time to buy one of those glare covers for you plate zilog

I beleive it was Motor Trend that has a real interesting article about those cameras.

The company gets all the revenue up to a certan point, and then it gets percentages. They adjust the timing of the lights (length of yellow) to a point where they make more money rather than extend the yellow which actually helps with accidents. Most cities do not make that much off of the lights unless they make the yellow shorter, which increases accidents.

It does not usually make the city any money, increases tickets, and the cities have a tendency to shorten the yellows to increase revenue making the intersections more dangerous.

I am trying to find the article, but I am not having any luck.

Fight it if you can, and write to your city council people to let them know that it is assinine

Here is one site with some articles (not very good, but has some links and info) http://www.motorists.com/issues/enforce/

Oh and don't kiss your girl friend while driving through the light and fight it with your wife in court

we've got several of the cameras around where i live...I don't see why you'd be "fuming" unless you like to speed and go through red lights....the cameras have never bothered me.

Speed limits don't need to be changed either, at least around here.....people still go at least 10MPH faster then the posted limit anyway....

They ( The City of Minneapolis ) installed them here at a few intersections and they've proved to be terribly inaccurate...picture this

guy in right lane see yellow light ....slows down
    guy in left lane see yellow light.....floors it

==== guy in right lane get his picture taken and ticket. The local news did a story on them and they ran a couple of clips of this happening.

I'm fuming because all they care about is getting more money out of people. They don't care who is driving the car. I am a very safe driver, I've never had a moving violation, and I drive a lot of miles everyday for my work.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF
    Speed Limits need to be reviewed.
    eh, in some cases i agree, on some roads i could see it ok to increase the speed here, but really those are there to try and keep people safe, if everyone obeyed them there would be no problems, in a perfect world

They got camera's all over the place where I live and some of those giant speed signs that tell's you your speed too.
    "I was once banned from a bookstore for moving all the bibles to fiction"

Quote Originally Posted by Brent
    The ones here are extremely picky. If you so much as creep past the sensor it takes your picture and you end up having to go down town to sort it out. They just recently installed big LED timers so you know the exact amount of time you have to gun it through the intersection before it goes red. Either way they are a nuisance.

ииии

ииии

Zilog

I moved to Nixa about a year ago form San Antonio, TX. I must admit that the people in Springfield run a ton of red lights but its not the driver fault, it's the timing of the lights. They don't control the traffic flow well so when it turns yellow you can count on 5 more cars to go through the intersection because you will be stuck at the red light a loooooong time if you don't.

And don't get me started about how slow every one drives... Which doesn't help