Thread: Question about MAC address Masking

Question about MAC address Masking

So I was told that its possible to purchase a DSL modem, along with a network card that allows you to mask its MAC address, and mask it into a valid MAC address in the area. I think you probably know what I'm trying to accomplish. I'm wondering before I spend any more time looking into this, or any $ for gear, if anyone can tell me if this actually works to accomplish what I'm trying to. If you don't want to respond on here where its publically visible, please e-mail me.

Quote Originally Posted by Insideyourhead
    I think you probably know what I'm trying to accomplish.
    Are you trying to change your IP ?

Maybe simply clone your nic mac onto your router. Then, depending on your isp you may see an immeadiate ip change,,, or you wont have a connection at all.

But usually after your lease expires it will renew with a working connection again. Usually.
    Some isp's seem to need a phone call when you change the connections mac as that's how your account is actually recognised.

Are you wanting to mask the modems MAC?

Yes, I'm trying to mask the modem MAC address. I was told that this is how the ISP's authenticate who has service. And that if I mask the modem mac address to a valid one that has service, that I will recieve service with the new modem also. Does this actually work?

Quote Originally Posted by Insideyourhead
    Yes, I'm trying to mask the modem MAC address. I was told that this is how the ISP's authenticate who has service. And that if I mask the modem mac address to a valid one that has service, that I will recieve service with the new modem also. Does this actually work?

Nope. The modem is the first item connected in the chain, then the router and then the nic, unless there is no router and then its modem to nic.

No matter how you mask teh nics MAC the modems stays the same and is seen. If you were able to find a way to Mask a modems MAC, they would still be able to find you becasue the other person used MAC you are copying would have trouble, tests would look odd and they'd investigate.

Stealing cable internet is alot harder than stealing cable TV.