Thread: least expensive route for legit windows xp ?

least expensive route for legit windows xp ?

coworker's son wants to go with winXP on both his and his sister's computers.

i recall in the past occasionally seeing XP in certain forms (say.... OEM or whatever) that were cheaper than walking into bestbuy and buying a retail copy.

any ideas on what kind of savings one could gain by doing this? really not into the installation of warez on other peoples' computers, plus the coworker isnt afraid to pay for what the kids need.

thanks guys

(can be moved to appropriate forum if this is too off topic)
    "Today is a black day in the history of mankind."

- Leo Szilard

If you dont need dual processor support and a few other things, XP Home is cheap OEM. I personally couldnt use anything other than Professional though, you can find it for $130 or so if you look around. I dont know if theres a way to buy key's rather than the copy unless your a buisness.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    OEM. Not much over a hundred bucks, sometimes you can find for 99 bucks.

The rule of OEM software, it's supposed to be sold with the hardware to build a new computer. It's up to the reseller to determine that...usually the bare minimum rules are if you are purchasing a motherboard/CPU/RAM, hard drive...the bare components. But many resellers are somewhat "lax" in enforcing that when you check out.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Newegg is having an 8hr sale MS XP Home 89.00 OEM! with sp2

Free 3 day shipping. Hurry!

Pie

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16837102059
    SG Pimp Name : *Treacherous P. Shizzle*
    The fight for our way of life needs to be fought on our own soil, for our own people and because of our own interests.
    Hey, If Me & My Buddies Were Making Billions of Dollars I'd Tell Ya What Ya Wanted To Hear Too!

ok cool. thx a bunch guys. cant buy immediately, pie, as i should run it by him first as one of the systems would need at least a memory upgrade (P III 450, 256MB PC133.... if he doesnt want to upgrade it to XP specs, will have to do win2k instead, or windows 98 *chuckle*). too bad as thats a decent deal.

thx for the help guys... some ofthe prices i have seen are unbelievably low... like $40, but i betcha thats like a student version at best. i'd prefer to stick fully legit windows stuff on there. looks like newegg is the best and safest bet.

thanks again!
    "Today is a black day in the history of mankind."

- Leo Szilard

Quote Originally Posted by Faust
    ok cool. thx a bunch guys. cant buy immediately, pie, as i should run it by him first as one of the systems would need at least a memory upgrade (P III 450, 256MB PC133.... if he doesnt want to upgrade it to XP specs, will have to do win2k instead, or windows 98 *chuckle*). too bad as thats a decent deal.

thx for the help guys... some ofthe prices i have seen are unbelievably low... like $40, but i betcha thats like a student version at best. i'd prefer to stick fully legit windows stuff on there. looks like newegg is the best and safest bet.

thanks again!
    I've installed in as low as PIII 333 . The memory you have should be fine.

If you really wanna go completely legit tho, you would have to buy Retail version as OEM is only for brand new machines. Same software but in a nice cutesy little colored box.

Pie
    SG Pimp Name : *Treacherous P. Shizzle*
    The fight for our way of life needs to be fought on our own soil, for our own people and because of our own interests.
    Hey, If Me & My Buddies Were Making Billions of Dollars I'd Tell Ya What Ya Wanted To Hear Too!