Thread: Where's the outrage?

Where's the outrage?

Source

And now doctors cut a poor black woman who was awake and alert and who had said "please don't do this until my mother gets here" off her ventilator, against her wishes, without even giving her an extra day or two for her mother to get in from Africa, don't even bother to sedate her first, and...

...nothing.

No outrage, no protests, no angry letters to government, no death threats against the doctors who ignored the patient's wishes, no hue and cry from the very Republican and supposedly pro-life government of the state in which this was allowed to happen.

Nothing.

You'd think there'd be some pro-life outrage by now, wouldn't you? It should be all over the front pages of the sites I linked, wouldn't you think? At the very least, the National Right To Life Foundation, who's still to this day waving the corpse of Terri Schiavo around?

Race?
    "A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."

Bruce Lee

it's played out...

Quote Originally Posted by Brent
    it's played out...

Wait, wait wait....

Am I to understand that a hospital pulled the plug on someone that was NOT brain-dead and could communicate in some manner? If she was on a ventilator then she was not talking.
    Tao_Jones Cult Member since 2004
    I gave Miss Manners a Dirty Sanchez, and she LIKED it.

Quote Originally Posted by brembo
    Wait, wait wait....

Am I to understand that a hospital pulled the plug on someone that was NOT brain-dead and could communicate in some manner? If she was on a ventilator then she was not talking.
    They pulled the plug on someone that was alive and communicating.

Quote Originally Posted by Paft
    They pulled the plug on someone that was alive and communicating.
    I find this VERY difficult to believe. Murder. Hypocratic oath. Fear of lawsuit at the minimum. Somewhere something was lost in communication.
    Tao_Jones Cult Member since 2004
    I gave Miss Manners a Dirty Sanchez, and she LIKED it.

I have no idea why it isn't a huge issue if the story is really true. Race shouldn't matter but I'll bet it does......Her monetary status shouldn't matter but I'll bet it does. Since it wouldn't exactly benefit a neo con, trying to take the heat off of important matters involving him...then the "liberal press" doesn't really have an interest either.

I'm pretty sure that a person could be totally brain conscious and still require the use of a Ventilator to keep them breathing. I dunno the legalities but I would guess that if you are in a private hospital instead of a public one, that they have the right to do such a thing if you can't pay the bills. I would imagine it was some fault of the family that they didn't apply for some sort of emergency medical coverage or have her transferred out of there before it came to that point. Terri Schiavo's parents did something way before it came to the point of her death.

Pie
    SG Pimp Name : *Treacherous P. Shizzle*
    The fight for our way of life needs to be fought on our own soil, for our own people and because of our own interests.
    Hey, If Me & My Buddies Were Making Billions of Dollars I'd Tell Ya What Ya Wanted To Hear Too!

Quote Originally Posted by brembo
    I find this VERY difficult to believe. Murder. Hypocratic oath. Fear of lawsuit at the minimum. Somewhere something was lost in communication.
    The lady didn't have the money to continue paying for care. In cases like that, the State has the right to authorize a person being removed from life support.

Disgusting either way.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thepieman
    I'm pretty sure that a person could be totally brain conscious and still require the use of a Ventilator to keep them breathing. ....

Pie

Christopher Reeves would be an example.

Hell_Yes

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche

i'm white and I still stay it's race.
    Strap It On Whenever It Seems Appropriate

http://www.tomsclan.com

it all about money for why they pulled the plug:

http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dw...n.bb0e76d.html

A family has gathered to mourn a woman gone too soon.

Tirhas Habtegiris was an East African immigrant and only 27 when she died Monday afternoon.

She'd been on a respirator at Baylor Regional Medical Center at Plano for 25 days.

"They handed me this letter on December 1st. and they said, we're going to give you 10 days so on the 11th day, we're going to pull it out," said her brother Daniel Salvi.

Salvi was stunned to get this hand-delivered notice invoking a complicated and rarely used Texas law where a doctor is "not obligated to continue" medical treatment "medically inappropriate" when care is not beneficial.

Even though her body was being ravaged by cancer, this family says Tirhas still responded and was conscious. She was waiting one person.

"She wanted to get her mom over here or to get to her mom so she could die in her mom's arms," says her cousin Meri Tesfay.

Ten days was not enough time, they say, to get a mother from Africa to America.

The family and hospital desperately tried to get Tirhas moved to a nursing home but they say no one would take her.

"A fund issue is what I understand. Because she is not insured and that was the major reason the way I understood it," Salvi said.

A statement from Baylor Plano disputes that and says the hospital did its best to comply with the family's wishes in every way.

Still, on the 11th day, Tirhas Habtegiris was taken off the respirator and died.

Her family feels caught in America's health insurance crisis.

"And it's kind of a shock to me too to experience this in this country. It's the richest country in the world. Very sad," Salvi said.

Experts say there are very few charity beds for ventilator dependent patients in this state. President George W. Bush has said he wants to expand healthcare for legal immigrants in this country.

But yeah the real question is why wouldnt Bush and Delay do anything to step in? especially their own state texas? When they were all over the florida issue..

Quote Originally Posted by Augustus
    it all about money for why they pulled the plug:

But yeah the real question is why wouldnt Bush and Delay do anything to step in? especially their own state texas? When they were all over the florida issue..
    Delay is busy folding his laundry
    SG Pimp Name : *Treacherous P. Shizzle*
    The fight for our way of life needs to be fought on our own soil, for our own people and because of our own interests.
    Hey, If Me & My Buddies Were Making Billions of Dollars I'd Tell Ya What Ya Wanted To Hear Too!

Sooo..the rich get health care and the poor get dead. Wondebar!

Texas you say .....hmmm.