Thread: Glaxo/Smith-Kline Chief: Our Drugs Do Not Work on Most Patients

Glaxo/Smith-Kline Chief: Our Drugs Do Not Work on Most Patients

article

A senior executive with Britain's biggest drugs company has admitted that most prescription medicines do not work on most people who take them.

Allen Roses, worldwide vice-president of genetics at GlaxoSmithKline (GSK), said fewer than half of the patients prescribed some of the most expensive drugs actually derived any benefit from them.

It is an open secret within the drugs industry that most of its products are ineffective in most patients but this is the first time that such a senior drugs boss has gone public. His comments come days after it emerged that the NHS drugs bill has soared by nearly 50 per cent in three years, rising by £2.3bn a year to an annual cost to the taxpayer of £7.2bn. GSK announced last week that it had 20 or more new drugs under development that could each earn the company up to $1bn (£600m) a year.

Dr Roses, an academic geneticist from Duke University in North Carolina, spoke at a recent scientific meeting in London where he cited figures on how well different classes of drugs work in real patients.

Drugs for Alzheimer's disease work in fewer than one in three patients, whereas those for cancer are only effective in a quarter of patients. Drugs for migraines, for osteoporosis, and arthritis work in about half the patients, Dr Roses said. Most drugs work in fewer than one in two patients mainly because the recipients carry genes that interfere in some way with the medicine, he said.

"The vast majority of drugs - more than 90 per cent - only work in 30 or 50 per cent of the people," Dr Roses said. "I wouldn't say that most drugs don't work. I would say that most drugs work in 30 to 50 per cent of people. Drugs out there on the market work, but they don't work in everybody."

Some industry analysts said Dr Roses's comments were reminiscent of the 1991 gaffe by Gerald Ratner, the jewelry boss, who famously said that his high street shops are successful because they sold "total crap". But others believe Dr Roses deserves credit for being honest about a little-publicized fact known to the drugs industry for many years.
    ď"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."Ē

Bruce Lee

Its sad, im starting to truely believe in the whole "drugs are created to treat a disease, not cure it" thing. I'm wondering if there arent cures that they wont use due to losing profit from treatment drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by wee96
    Its sad, im starting to truely believe in the whole "drugs are created to treat a disease, not cure it" thing. I'm wondering if there arent cures that they wont use due to losing profit from treatment drugs.
    Absolutely there are cures that the medical community ignores, mostly due to pressures and propoganda by the drug companies and some medical associations and lobby groups, as well as false data propogated by the National Institute of Mental Health and its affiliate 'criminal organizations'.

For example, many so called illnesses and diseases are caused by nutritional deficiencies and seventy percent of all illnesses-diseases have unrealized causes, but are just treated with drugs. The medical community at large does know the symptoms of diseases, and that is what usually gets treated with drugs. When the cause can be located and treated, a cure is possible, otherwise it's a 'hit or miss' guessing game.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

Pharmacueticals, IMHO, are more predatory on consumers than the Oil companies.
    ď"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."Ē

Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by wee96

I believe there are ..for the obvious and previously stated reasons ..... it's far more profitable for them to treat than to cure.

Thats sad too, that we as a species would rather profit than cure our own. We will be our own downfall in the future thats for sure..not a comet or tsunami, etc.

A reality check.

In the morning when you wake up, the headlines of every newspaper scream out the same message. "Cancer cured!" You can't turn on a tv or click a single link on the internet without hearing people talk about how this one pharmaceutical company finally cracked the problem and created an absolute cure. The company sells the medicine almost at cost, in an unprecedented show of altruism. Sceptics all over the world confused, until the next round of news hit.

It is the first time the CEO of a company gets to accept the nobel peace price for his company, while simultaneously the head chemist accepts the chemistry award. In fact, every award imaginable is being thrown after them. One out of four people get cancer, while the other three is in his or her family. There is not a person on earth that does not feel a debt of gratitude to this medical company. So when they go shopping for painkillers, bandaids, birth control, and so on... they buy the company brand. After all, they cured cancer, it has to be better, and even if it isn't, it is just a small thanks.

Then comes the news that several countries have cut preferential deals with the company, buying other less effective drugs for more money. Not so strange, after all, what better marketing campaign than every frontpage the world around for weeks? Soon some countries stop taxing the company at all, as a reward for the great humanitarian effects of their discovery. Others follow quickly, to make sure the company does not move all its factories to other countries.

Within months the company buys several other large medical companies at cents to the dollar, simply because the enormous marketing value of the discovery makes it nigh on impossible to compete with this growing behemoth.

Yeah, sure... they would rather treat it than cure it. After all, no company would ever want to be number one, right?

To add to all this... I remember reading somewhere that only about 10-15% of the people who go to see their primary physician actually need to. The other 85-90% would just heal with time.

In a dry but moldy New Orleans, Louisiana
    Wow, this thread is old.

It does make me wonder how they test effectiveness of a new drug? I realize there is some test where people get placebos but I wouldnít want to be the person getting a fake drug when Iím trying to cure a disease. Over the long run how can they tell the Rebif shots Iím taking are really slowing down the disease? Thereís no cure as of yet, just a way to slow down the progression of it.
    Sliding down the banister of life ..........................

Quote Originally Posted by RoundEye View Post
    Wow, this thread is old.

It does make me wonder how they test effectiveness of a new drug? I realize there is some test where people get placebos but I wouldnít want to be the person getting a fake drug when Iím trying to cure a disease. Over the long run how can they tell the Rebif shots Iím taking are really slowing down the disease? Thereís no cure as of yet, just a way to slow down the progression of it.
    They conduct tests on volunteers. But most testing is done in prisons in the US and on people in 3rd world countries, sometimes withut their knowledge.

LRH

It just got me to thinking. How do they really know if that medicine is working? I have Multiple Sclerosis as you may know already, and I have to bitch about it one more time, that medicine is $2650 a month! (for the rest of my life) That’s no typo either, trust me you are reading it right. You better be Bill Gates or the Queen of England to afford that.

But I guess my question is more specific to me. I’m trying to figure out how they really would know if my shots are working or not? If MS is not curable how do they know if it’s really slowing the progression down? It is a hard disease to detect and I went through eight days of hell testing for it while I was in the hospital. I’d hate to do all these shots in my stomach for years, only to find out they aren’t working.

They could tell me that it’s just the natural progression of the disease and I wouldn’t know any different. I guess I’m just thinking about it too much because I really don’t want to get any worse then I already am.

I guess Iím just thinking about it too much because I really donít want to get any worse then I already am.
    Well, not to be too evaluative of what you are doing, but...I don't know how one could go through what you're going through without thinking about it all the time.

As for the drugs, I really don't know how they determine the effectivenss against what you have. AFAIK there are no promises made.

However, a change of environment is about the cheapest most effective treatment there is for any illness, disease or condition. It becomes easier to "get out of one's head" when one is away from home, esp in an aesthetic safe environment. Perhaps a trip to a few places you've "always wanted" to see but never took the time to get there.

LRH

Quote Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
    .... Perhaps a trip to a few places you've "always wanted" to see but never took the time to get there.....
    One trip I really wanted to make was White water rafting at the bottom of the Grand Canyon. For health (and financial) reasons I doubt that’ll ever happen. One place I’d like to go is the Smithsonian Institute. If I could swing it, I’d like to go there for a few days.

There is no doubt I could use a vacation. The last memorable vacation I took was in 2002 when my wife and I flew to Detroit to see The Who with Noevo and his wife. My wife and I also rented a car and drove through Canada to Niagara Falls. I’d give up vital little body parts if I could climb down and sit by the Niagara River with my wife again. We had to sit there for over an hour just listening to the water flow.

The Smithsonian is definitely worth the trip. I was all through it as a Cub Scout long ago. I've lived 15 minutes away from it for the last 24 yrs. My kids have been there many times, but I've not been back.

I would love to get to Niagra...slowly I turned...step by step...inch by inch...

LRH

...I would love to get to Niagra...slowly I turned...step by step...inch by inch...

Iíll tell you what, walking up the hills there is a bitch. By the falls itís all uphill, downriver a ways itís a little different. My wife and I found a fire escape looking thing in a park and went down by the river.

It still wasnít an easy trip but it was worth it to me. It really is one of the things everyone should experience at least once in life. Get away from the tourist traps and just enjoy the nature of it.

The boat ride to tell bottom of the falls is cool too. We were able to get to the very front of the boat. You couldnít go any further forward.

It did trip out the other people onboard when I starting singing the theme song to Gilligans Island aloud when the boat launched.

Yep, I got some very odd looks.

it did trip out the other people onboard when i starting singing the theme song to gilligans island aloud when the boat launched.

Yep, i got some very odd looks.
    lol!

LRH

lol!
    Yep, I was a strange cat before, now that the MS has technically caused brain damage, I come up with even crazier sh*t. Iíve been told in the past I wasnít quite right in the head, now I have a legitimate excuse.