Thread: I have to defend the actions of the South in an essay...

I have to defend the actions of the South in an essay...

Yes, I hate having to do this, but I have to for my final essay. This is what I've got so far, I'd like to hear from you guys at SG as well as your opinion on the matter. What I need is another topic to elaborate on.

It would be in the south’s best interest to vote for John C Breckinridge. He supports slavery which helps with the over all economy of the south. He supports the Dred Scott Decision and the expansion of slavery into the territories. Having a natural Southern as a leader will overall help the south.

Cotton and Tobacco are major products that we produce as southern farmers. That is what we make our living on. Thanks to the great inventions like the grain elevators, and steel plow, we can now harvest much more, and increase profit. However, with Tariffs the north is holding back our progression. The taxation on foreign good is preventing the buying and selling of our mass produced products. Breckinridge if elected would understand us, and our economic value.

We as southerners do not need someone from the north to lead us. They tend to be over sentimental of slaves, yet enjoy the luxuries that come from slave labor. They so against slavery that they help slaves that we paid for excape. We did receive the Compromise of 1850 that allowed us to pursue run away slaves, but as time progresses, more and more states are adapting to the policy of antislavery. Not to mention that this is increasingly draining our already weak power from the Senate. Slavery in the south among others is a very critical and vital part of our economy. We use slavery not as way to control another being, but as to help improve the overall life of the south. We apply our ideal of “Alrarian capitalism, which is a system of agriculture based on the efficient, specialized production of crops that is intended to generate profits rather and not subsistence. With out slaves many farm owners would have to purchase indentured servants who intern would have to be paid back in some fashion. If we higher workers, they would require somewhat of a salary, with is a decrease in over all profit. With slaves, all money made goes to the company or business. Breckinridge would understand this.

With our government as a whole changing, and adapting new idea’s, it would be wise for us to have a strong leader in the forefront of our country form the south. If you noticed, a lot of the law, ruling and taxations have been heavily influenced, dominated, and supported by the north. Do you honestly think the industrial north would defend the interests of the south? Our word from the South is not being heard, and if we want to be heard we need more people representing the south, and importing our ideals into the system.

Last edited by Zerohero; 12-12-05 at 04:05 PM.
    The Chicken Hawk has spoken...

http://www.gameagme.com
    Tactical Damage Clan Server
    http://www.tacticaldamage.com/

SG Enthusiast
    Very well done and accurate. Needs a lot of grammatical review and proofreading, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerohero
    Yes, I hate having to do this, but I have to for my final essay. This is what I've got so far, I'd like to hear from you guys at SG as well as your opinion on the matter. What I need is another topic to elaborate on.
    If you have to defend the South, do it on state rights. or the right of the state to do what it wants without the federal goverment intervening. The would be pretty easy.
    Horizon Web Design

Are you Saved??? Click here to find out how you can be.

yee haw!!!
    She's presenting like a mandrill!

Quote Originally Posted by RicRogue
    If you have to defend the South, do it on state rights. or the right of the state to do what it wants without the federal goverment intervening. The would be pretty easy.

Thanks for the tip, its just what I needed for another topic in the essay!

RicRouge is right, seeing as how the Civil War was *mostly* about states rights rather than slavery, gives ya more fodder for ideas and such.
    Tao_Jones Cult Member since 2004
    I gave Miss Manners a Dirty Sanchez, and she LIKED it.

You are a lifelong Southerner who lives in Atlanta, Georgia. You own a moderately sized wholesale business at the Atlanta terminus of the South Carolina & Georgia Railroad. You bring manufactures by rail from the Northeast and Europe that have arrived by sea to Charleston and sell them to merchants throughout western Georgia. You also sell cotton from western Georgia plantations to exporters in Charleston for shipment to the Northeast and Europe. Like the majority of Southerners, you own no slaves. Most of your labor force is non-slave African Americans, though you hire slaves from their owners as needed when there is extra work to be done in the warehouse. You are a member of the local Presbyterian Church and are considered to be a kind, generous, and genuinely Christian person. You are also considered to be politically influential among the Atlanta business community. The presidential election of 1860 is approaching rapidly and, like most of your friends, you have decided to vote for John C. Breckenridge. Local business leaders have asked you to make a speech explaining your decision; your objective is to convince others to join you in supporting Breckenridge.

Write that speech!

Your essay should be at least 5 paragraphs long, with an introduction in which you lay out your choice and introduce the reasons for it. Then at least 3 paragraphs of detailed discussion explaining why this is the best decision for all Southerners to make (be sure that you refer to relevant court cases, political developments, and economic interests). Finally, you need to have a concluding paragraph in which you summarize your argument.

Who is your professor?-- Wee96 ?

nah, j/k..

Actually you are doing a pretty good job...
    “"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."”

Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by knightmare
    Who is your professor?-- Wee96 ?

nah, j/k..

Actually you are doing a pretty good job...
    hah, why do you say that?

He is plaid

Well this is the finished product. I sound evil when doing this, but I had to do for my essay...

It would be in the south’s best interest to vote for John C. Breckinridge. He supports slavery which helps with the over all economy of the South. He supports the Dred Scott Decision and the expansion of slavery into the territories. Having a natural Southern as a leader will overall help the South.

Cotton and Tobacco are major products that we produce as southern farmers. That is what we make our living on. Thanks to the great inventions like the grain elevators, and steel plow, we can now harvest much more, and increase profit. However, with Tariffs the north is holding back our progression. The taxation on foreign good is preventing the buying and selling of our mass produced products. Breckinridge if elected would understand us, and our economic value.

Without having substantial equal members to combat the north’s decisions on declarations, and laws, how are we supposed to survive as the south? All that we’ve received for our work, and rights are the omnibus bill, the fugitive law, and a Compromise. Should we as the south be obligated to “Compromise” our way of life? What’s even more insulting are colored “folk” like Dred Scott having the ability to actually sue the Supreme Court going against our ideals. Electing John C. Breckinridge would be the start of a change. Many problems and disrespectful acts against the South would come to a halt.

We as southerners do not need someone from the north to lead us. They tend to be over sentimental of slaves, yet enjoy the luxuries that come from slave labor. They are so against slavery that they help slaves that we paid for escape to the North. We did receive the Compromise of 1850 that allowed us to pursue run away slaves, but as time progresses, more and more states are adapting to the policy of antislavery. Not to mention that this is increasingly draining our already weak power from the Senate. Slavery in the South among others is a very critical and vital part of our economy. We use slavery not as way to control another being, but as to help improve the overall life of the South. We apply our ideal of “Alrarian capitalism”, which is a system of agriculture based on the efficient, specialized production of crops that is intended to generate profits and not subsistence. With out slaves many farm owners would have to purchase indentured servants who intern would have to be paid back in some fashion. If we higher workers, they would require somewhat of a salary, which is a decrease in over all profit. With slaves, all money made goes to the company or business. Breckinridge would understand this.

With our government as a whole changing, and adapting new idea’s, it would be wise for us to have a strong leader in the forefront of our country form the south. If you noticed, a lot of the law, ruling and taxations have been heavily influenced, dominated, and supported by the North. Do you honestly think the industrial North would defend the interests of the south? Our word from the South is not being heard, and if we want to be heard we need more people representing the south, and importing our ideals into the system.

Dunno, im from Michigan, last I checked thats Yankee Northern territory

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Tough assignment, what kind of teacher would impose a question like that?

What's next, justify Hitler?
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
    Tough assignment, what kind of teacher would impose a question like that?

What's next, justify Hitler?
    I dunno, but I did my best, and used the best resources of that era as I could to explain my case. I have to turn it in today. Thanks for you alls input.