Thread: Laptop Question

Laptop Question

When shutting down for the day is it better to use "hibernate" or the regular power off settings?? Thanks in advance The comp stays on house current,battery life not a factor
    Last edited by flyfisher; 12-12-05 at 10:26 PM. Reason: spelling

I always use Hibernate
    Have your feelings been hurt by a random act of E-Thuggery? If so, call 1-800-Waaaaahmbulance, we're here 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, you could be due a large monetary settlement, don't delay, call now.

"Please be careful prior to entering the world wide web, the internet is serious business"

Quote Originally Posted by Prey521
    I always use Hibernate
    me too
    Quote Originally Posted by brembo
    "This is a stick-up...I have an armadillo in my pants"

Hibernate

Do you guys hibernate manually and how do you power back up, do you have to power up with the power button?? Thanks and Merry Christmas

I have close lid set to Stand By, hibernate is too slow for my taste. And yes, you bring it out of hibernate with power button.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    I usually don't use either..I'll completely shutdown my laptops.

I'll use standby if I'm going away and know I'll be back to ride my laptop in a short period of time.

Standby is a power save mode..all activity is still held in RAM, and "usually" it'll waken up by hitting the spacebar or moving the touchpad/trackpad/red nipple. Depending on your power settings closing the lid can put the system into standby, Fairly quick awaken time, normally. Waking up isn't 100% though, sometimes a forced hard reboot is required..depening on OS, patch level, brand of hardware and installed power management features.

Hibernate is a deeper sleep mode, the current activity/state is written to a large file on the hard drive, and when you awaken your laptop (by hitting the power button briefly)..in theory it's supposed to awaken back to the state you left it..a lot faster than a normal bootup and logon and open those programs again. As with standby, waking up isn't 100% though, sometimes a forced hard reboot is required..depening on OS, patch level, brand of hardware and installed power management features.

Because laptops are not built with hardware that has MTBF levels (Mean Time Between Failures..basically the amount of usage/mileage you'll get) of business grade tower/desktop computers...I don't leave mine running 24/7...even in standby. Just standby a few times in the day, all the way down each night.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

I am with YOSC.

Unless I know I be be back in a few hours..I shutdown it down.

I also unplug the ac adapter from the wall. I am a bit paranoid, but dont trust Dell, too many recalls of possible fires, I do notice the ac adaptor gets really hot.