Thread: New DSL Customer looking for guidance...

New DSL Customer looking for guidance...

Hello... this is our first round with DSL and we are looking for a little guidance on where to head next in improving our DSL experience... if this is even a possibility.

We had been on Direcway for a while. Our speeds were testing right at 400-500 down with 30-50 up. We were constantly having to click on links 3-4 times to go to... and would quite frequently have to refresh/reload pages to see all info/images. Very frustrating.

For several months we have been trying to get DSL through Centurytel but when they came out to test our line the reading was at 1100 ohms, about 300 ohms over the limit due to being 3.7 miles from the switch. Recently one of their techs was out fixing our phone line and asked why we didn't opt for DSL instead of Direcway. After explaining that we had tried, he suggested we should try again and he would help us get it. So here we are... now on DSL... stretching it to the extremes I suppose, considering our distance from the switch.

We have initially been setup on 1500/256 but the test I've run from various testing sites are at best 375-425 down with 110-130 up (these have been throughout the day). Granted even though the downs are testing worse, the actually experience seems faster, snappier than the old satellite... maybe due to latency in satellite transmissions... not sure. Up speeds are considerably faster in testing.

Overall I'm pleased above the old satellite since it seems to be faster/snappier. Not to mention it's cheaper per month.

If for some reason we can't get any faster speeds then ultimately I believe Centurytel will only charge us for what we can get... or at least the next lowest package price.

What I'm looking for here is I suppose direction on what to do to my computers to possibly see if there is any help on that end of the speed. What should I do next and where should I go in the forum?

Any guidance, help, suggestions, comments, etc... are appreciated.

Thanks,

Sonnie

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    There are some tweaks you can do....read some of the links stickied up at the top of our Tweaking forum here...specifically try the SG TCP Optimizer.
    http://forums.speedguide.net/forumdisplay.php?f=54

Are you using a broadband router?

Your distance is a big factor, you've crossed over the usual rule that most ISPs do..they usually don't offer DSL to anyone over 17,500 feet from the CO. You're at, if 3.7 miles is correct, over 19,500. A few ISPs offer a lighter(slower) flavor of DSL to those people between the 17,500 and 22,500-24,000 foot mark. And that is often a 384 max download.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Yep... I agree I've crossed over the typcial border for distance.

I do have a Linksys Router WRT54G... one computer hardwired and 3 on wireless. I get the same speed with all computers. (We have AVG, SBS&D, ADWARE, SPYB, MSASPY, installed on all as well.)

I ran the TCP Optimizer last night on my laptop but it didn't seem to help much. I did adjust the Registry a little with some of those tweaks and it did help load pages a little faster but FTP downloads are still registering at ~400kbps speeds.

I still say I'm happier with this than satellite... especially being there is no FAP with DSL and the lag time of satellite is no longer evident. As stated before... things just seem snappier while surfing. Before, while on satellite it always took a few seconds to get my FTP server connected and it took a few seconds for transfers to start and then they would constantly hesitate during download or upload. Upload speeds are a good bit better than satellite. Overall the actually download speed doesn't seem much different due to all the other factors... I suppose those factors will make up 100kbps that I'll lose on testing.

My best bet is probably going to be to get Centurytel to simply charge us for the lower package and be happy. Maybe one day they will boost the signal for further distance.

Centurytel specializes in providing service to "remote" areas. In my area, they're the only ISP, other than dialups. Their service & support, as well as their speeds, are poor (that's the kindest word I could come up with). I would change in a heartbeat if I had any other broadband options.

Quote Originally Posted by rickla1
    Centurytel specializes in providing service to "remote" areas. In my area, they're the only ISP, other than dialups. Their service & support, as well as their speeds, are poor (that's the kindest word I could come up with). I would change in a heartbeat if I had any other broadband options.
    Speeds have held to the ~400kbs as noted before and customer service has been okay, what little we've used them. We only pay the minimum rate since we don't get the full rated speed on their 768 plan.

The part I grumble about is if we lose service on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday, there is no hope until Monday. Bad storm and outtage on Friday... no phone or Internet until Monday.