Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Laptop cannot ping desktop over wireless network

...had similar issues with all of my wifi-connected Linux laptops - ie Internet access working fine, but pinging a wifi connected laptop from another wifi-connected laptop not working with the command line reporting "Destination Host Unreachable". In m cas it was how the router handles wifi connections. The CIsco "Help" says: "AP Isolation creates a separate virtual network for your wireless network. When this feature is enabled, each of your wireless clients will be in its own virtual network and will not be able to communicate with each other. You may want to enable this feature if you have many guests that frequent your wireless network. The default setting is Disable." So in my case "AP Isolation" needed disabling. But here's a gotcha... It was showing already showing disabled in the router settings and I had to enable and re-disable it - it then took about a minute for the router to execute the setting. I tried the whole process several time and sure enough with AP Isolation disabled all is accessible. If you do this, watch out for next door rummaging around on your file system though!

Genius!

Thank you so much for posting this solution. Very tricky fix- enabling and re-disabling the AP-isolation did the trick. I can now ping beyond my gateway using my wireless laptop. (WHAT A PAIN!!)

Quote Originally Posted by akbron View Post
    If you are using Cisco VPN-Client. Click on Options -> Uncheck, Stateful Firewall Always On.
    You just saved me from certain balding....thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceetee View Post
    ...had similar issues with all of my wifi-connected Linux laptops - ie Internet access working fine, but pinging a wifi connected laptop from another wifi-connected laptop not working with the command line reporting "Destination Host Unreachable". In m cas it was how the router handles wifi connections. The CIsco "Help" says: "AP Isolation creates a separate virtual network for your wireless network. When this feature is enabled, each of your wireless clients will be in its own virtual network and will not be able to communicate with each other. You may want to enable this feature if you have many guests that frequent your wireless network. The default setting is Disable." So in my case "AP Isolation" needed disabling. But here's a gotcha... It was showing already showing disabled in the router settings and I had to enable and re-disable it - it then took about a minute for the router to execute the setting. I tried the whole process several time and sure enough with AP Isolation disabled all is accessible. If you do this, watch out for next door rummaging around on your file system though!
    Thank you so much!

I have had this problem for a year and I was fixing it adding a static route to the destination computer on my Windows pcs, but I was not be able to connect from my iPad. Your solution has fixed it completely!

My router is a Linksys WAG160N and it had the AP Isolation disabled, I enabled and disable it again and the ping and connections from my iPad started working.

I cant believe Cisco has not fixed it since I bought the router, It has the latest firmware.

Thank you again for sharing the solution!