Thread: Qos Packet Scheduler

Qos Packet Scheduler

I have been reading about this to Increase Bandwidth by Tweaking The Qos in Windows Xp pro -

Do You Use this Tweak or Just use Xp Pro at default ****************

Increase bandwidth by tweaking QoS in Windows XP Pro

The following tweak applies only to Windows XP Professional edition.

The default system behavior is that all 100% bandwidth is available, however, if there is a running application that indicates to the OS it needs to send high priority/real time data, then as long as it has the socket open, Windows XP will restrict “best effort” traffic to 80% of the bandwidth so that high priority traffic can be accommodated. Basically, applications can make this request to the operating system for QoS support using the QoS application programming interfaces (APIs) in Windows and this only applies if a specific app is requesting QoS.

If you'd like to change how much bandwidth is reserved for QoS (the default is 20% of the total bandwidth), do the following:

1. Make sure you're logged in as "Administrator" (not just any account with admin privileges).
    2. Navigate to START>Run and type: gpedit.msc
    3. Navigate to Local Computer Policy > Administrative Templates > Network > QOS Packet Scheduler
    4. In the right window, double-click the limit reservable bandwidth setting
    5. On the setting tab, check the enabled setting.
    6. Where it says "Bandwidth limit %", change it to read 0 (or whatever percentage you want to reserve for high priority QoS data)
    7. Click OK, close gpedit.msc

Under START > My Computer > My Network Connections > View Network Connections, right-click on your connection and under Properties (where it lists your protocols), make sure QOS Packet Scheduler is enabled.

You need to reboot for changes to take effect.
    Note: This tweak applies only to The Professional version of Windows XP.
    To read more about QoS, refer to the MSDN Documentation.

For some additional tweaking tips, check out the Advanced Tweaking article, and the Host Resolution Priority Tweak.

Thanks
    Duz
    (The Protection of all with the Wadget Eye)
    (Never Trust Intel To Do AMD'S Job)

Hey Duzmor, this "tweak" has been proven again and again to be useless. It only reserves 10% for QoS enabled networks which the internet is not and most networks are not. So it's best to just uninstall the QoS Packet Scheduler all together since having more protocols is more overhead which is overall worse.

Blog Entries
    You can simply remove the checkmark from the "QoS Packet Scheduler" in the Network Adapter properties, or set the value with the Optimizer, it is in the "Advanced" tab...

Note it only comes into play in the presense of a running application that indicates it needs high priority/real time traffic.

Thanks for the Help

Now a BIG ? - Do you need Client for Microsoft Network - Checked off in NetWork properties - I do Have a router But I am Not on a Network

Thanks
    Duz
    (The Protection of all with the Wadget Eye)
    (Never Trust Intel To Do AMD'S Job)

Quote Originally Posted by Duzmor
    Thanks for the Help

Now a BIG ? - Do you need Client for Microsoft Network - Checked off in NetWork properties - I do Have a router But I am Not on a Network

Thanks
    Duz
    No, if you are a stand alone pc then all you need is Internet Protocol TCP/IP.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip
    You can simply remove the checkmark from the "QoS Packet Scheduler" in the Network Adapter properties, or set the value with the Optimizer, it is in the "Advanced" tab...

Note it only comes into play in the presense of a running application that indicates it needs high priority/real time traffic.
    programs such as?

Now that is a good question..

Quote Originally Posted by EddieZ
    Now that is a good question..
    Here may be the answer...p2p and online gaming.

http://forums.hardwarezone.com/showthread.php?t=794687
    Last edited by trogers; 09-29-06 at 09:26 PM.

I unchecked the QoS and my ping issue i was having with my online gaming as gone away,It also seems to be running alot faster now also with qos disable

Thanks

" I unchecked the QoS and my ping issue i was having with my online gaming as gone away,It also seems to be running alot faster now also with qos disable"

Whoa! 'This true?

And what are the disadvantages if I do disable it? I hope someone replies to this as I am excited about the prospect of bolstering my data transfer in online gaming.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1153609,00.asp

According to that site the QoS Packet Scheduler might just be taking up space, and you might be better off disabling it.

Does this little trick work for windows vista?, The kind of wireless i have to depend on is access points. Whats funny is when i put my mouse over the little desktop looking pic with the blue wireless signal it shows i'm picking up 5 bars, but the way the internet is loading/browsing it seems like more of a 1 or 2 bars of internet connection. Like everyone is eating up the bandwidth, What could i do to fix that if it's not the QoS Packet Scheduler?

Quote Originally Posted by Duzmor View Post
    I have been reading about this to Increase Bandwidth by Tweaking The Qos in Windows Xp pro -

Do You Use this Tweak or Just use Xp Pro at default ****************

Increase bandwidth by tweaking QoS in Windows XP Pro

The following tweak applies only to Windows XP Professional edition.

The default system behavior is that all 100% bandwidth is available, however, if there is a running application that indicates to the OS it needs to send high priority/real time data, then as long as it has the socket open, Windows XP will restrict “best effort” traffic to 80% of the bandwidth so that high priority traffic can be accommodated. Basically, applications can make this request to the operating system for QoS support using the QoS application programming interfaces (APIs) in Windows and this only applies if a specific app is requesting QoS.

If you'd like to change how much bandwidth is reserved for QoS (the default is 20% of the total bandwidth), do the following:

1. Make sure you're logged in as "Administrator" (not just any account with admin privileges).
    2. Navigate to START>Run and type: gpedit.msc
    3. Navigate to Local Computer Policy > Administrative Templates > Network > QOS Packet Scheduler
    4. In the right window, double-click the limit reservable bandwidth setting
    5. On the setting tab, check the enabled setting.
    6. Where it says "Bandwidth limit %", change it to read 0 (or whatever percentage you want to reserve for high priority QoS data)
    7. Click OK, close gpedit.msc

Under START > My Computer > My Network Connections > View Network Connections, right-click on your connection and under Properties (where it lists your protocols), make sure QOS Packet Scheduler is enabled.

You need to reboot for changes to take effect.
    Note: This tweak applies only to The Professional version of Windows XP.
    To read more about QoS, refer to the MSDN Documentation.

For some additional tweaking tips, check out the Advanced Tweaking article, and the Host Resolution Priority Tweak.

Thanks
    Duz
    What about windows vista, gpedit.msc is not in windows vista, what about vista?.

Lightbulb Great! this works !!!

Quote Originally Posted by btr1 View Post
    I unchecked the QoS and my ping issue i was having with my online gaming as gone away,It also seems to be running alot faster now also with qos disable

Thanks
    Had trouble connecting to an online application ("cannot connect to server" message).... could browse internet fine with my wired broadband. Did not realize QoS Packet Scheduler could be the key to solving this issue (disabling the QoS, I mean)...

Thanks. Your comment about your ping issue with online gaming being resolved opened my eyes.... Thanks...

People really need to know so many things in the Adapter settings for LAN connection need to be Unchecked...

Thanks to you and the forum!