Thread: Nat Error, Port Forwarding w/ Putty

Exclamation Nat Error, Port Forwarding w/ Putty

Well I know relatively nothing when it come to port forwarding, obviously, and well when I open azureus I also have putty running in the backgroud to forward the port and allow access. I am trying to work through the Check Point VPN SecureClient but it seems as though I am doing that incorrectly.

So in essence putty configs are
    source port: 4408
    destination: ****:4408 (**** where it is linuxbox name and url)
    i also then did a second set
    source port: 4408
    destination: localhost:4408
    to establish a connection but it seems i have screwed up.

my event log says:
    Access granted
    opened channel for session
    Local port 4408 forwarding to ****:4408
    Requesting remote port forward to localhost:4408
    Remote port forwarding to port 4408 enabled

i've racked my brain but the azureus port on the test still says nat error
    please someone save me from insanity =/

any suggestions for putty, or another method would be great.

check the firewall rules in Check Point VPN SecureClient.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

What type of firewall do you have running?

Linksys? etc etc? After finding that out you must forward the ports on your BT app, as well as your firewall. Also make sure your windows firewall is off as well. I recommend getting a app called "peer gaurdian" and " Zone alarm" for added protection as well. You won't need to forward your ports if the firewall ZA is running just so you know.
    The Chicken Hawk has spoken...

http://www.gameagme.com
    Tactical Damage Clan Server
    http://www.tacticaldamage.com/

Quote Originally Posted by TonyT
    check the firewall rules in Check Point VPN SecureClient.
    "Nobody's invincible, no plan is foolproof, We all must meet our moment of truth." - Guru

interesting

i checked the vpn and looked throughout the options but no mention as to the firewall settings, any tips as to where it might be ?

ill check out the ZA maybe it could just be the firewall blocking on my end. Thanks for the tips, and anything else is appreciated

SG Enthusiast
    Do I understand that you are:

Running azureus through a ssh (putty) tunnel, which in turn runs through an ipsec tunnel?

Wow. Any reason for trying to tunnel within a tunnel?
    anything is possible - nothing is free

Quote Originally Posted by Blisster
    It *would* be brokeback bay if I in fact went and hung out with Skye and co (did I mention he is teh hotness?)

Sounds like one too many firewalls in the mix. To simplify troubleshooting, try disabling any software firewalls between you and the remote VPN host and see if it works.
    "Nobody's invincible, no plan is foolproof, We all must meet our moment of truth." - Guru

Quote Originally Posted by cyberskye
    Do I understand that you are:

Running azureus through a ssh (putty) tunnel, which in turn runs through an ipsec tunnel?

Wow. Any reason for trying to tunnel within a tunnel?
    well im running azureus through my home windows box, the school thought it would be a bright idea to block all the tcp connections to windows boxes, so i was trying to tunnel through the linux box and use an open port there and forward it back to my comp in the dorm so that my connection would get above 2kBps since it takes a long time to get a file at that speed.

ill look into the firewall problem again i believe that i unblocked that specific port and program but i can always check again, thanks again for the replies i definitely think im making progress.

SG Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by gearshifter
    well im running azureus through my home windows box, the school thought it would be a bright idea to block all the tcp connections to windows boxes,
    This doesn't make sense to me - how would the filters know which OS a given client was using? They may be blocking specific protocols or tcp/udp ports...

In any case, it is against the TOS of this board to help people circumvent security measures - you may find that the school will take all internet access away from you as well if you are caught. In some states, what you are doing is illegal (even before the RIAA oir other group catches you).

EDIT - I understand the "NAT Errors" you mentioned now. I doubt that your current approach could work in any case.
    anything is possible - nothing is free

Quote Originally Posted by Blisster
    It *would* be brokeback bay if I in fact went and hung out with Skye and co (did I mention he is teh hotness?)

Quote Originally Posted by cyberskye
    This doesn't make sense to me - how would the filters know which OS a given client was using? They may be blocking specific protocols or tcp/udp ports...

In any case, it is against the TOS of this board to help people circumvent security measures - you may find that the school will take all internet access away from you as well if you are caught. In some states, what you are doing is illegal (even before the RIAA oir other group catches you).

EDIT - I understand the "NAT Errors" you mentioned now. I doubt that your current approach could work in any case.
    well thats interesting, definitely should stop trying that, ill give the system admin another message maybe he will make an exception for the ips of the students in the com sci department. sorry for any trouble.

o in addition it wasnt for illegal downloading of music/movies, so i doubt i would run into any problems with them. but thanks for the info. i guess i could always try to find a direct download, but those are so hard to come by these days.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by gearshifter
    the school thought it would be a bright idea to block all the tcp connections to windows boxes, so i was trying to tunnel through the linux box and use an open port there and forward it back to my comp in the dorm so that my connection would get above 2kBps since it takes a long time to get a file at that speed..
    Aha!

As Skye mentioned above....most of us here at SG are in IT as a profession, many of us admins of some sort trying to maintain control of our networks and prevent abuse of them. Helping to bypass these measures is frowned upon.

The school most likely has some QoS or flat out blocking of commonly abused ports...for a reason. P2P warez apps are one of the bigger reasons out there...which bring networks to their knees.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Advertisement

How To Circumvent Security Restrictions On EDU Networks

Is your university network prohibitative?
    Can't download movies or mp3 files?
    Pere to peer applications not allowed?

***** No Problemo! *****

Get your own copy of
    The Complete EDU Administrator's Handbook

Send $19.95 (US dollars) to:

Stonecat Publishing
    c/o Barracks 14-A
    Allenwood Federal Penetentiary
    Williamsport, PA 18872
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

Quote Originally Posted by TonyT
    ***** No Problemo! *****

Get your own copy of
    The Complete EDU Administrator's Handbook

Send $19.95 (US dollars) to:

Stonecat Publishing
    c/o Barracks 14-A
    Allenwood Federal Penetentiary
    Williamsport, PA 18872