Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XBOX 360 lawsuits

XBOX 360 lawsuits

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A Chicago man who bought Microsoft Corp.'s new Xbox 360 has sued the world's largest software maker, saying the new video game console has a design flaw that causes it to overheat and freeze up.

The proposed class action claims that in Microsoft's bid to gain share in the $25 billion global video game market, the company was so intent on releasing the Xbox 360 before competing next-generation machines from Sony Corp (NYSE:SNE - news). and Nintendo Co Ltd. that it sold a "defectively designed" product.

Robert Byers, who brought the suit, said the power supply and central processing unit in the Xbox 360 overheat, affecting heat-sensitive chips and causing the console to lock up.

Microsoft spokeswoman Molly O'Donnell on Monday said the company does not comment on pending litigation.

Complaints about the problem surfaced quickly on gaming enthusiast Web sites after the Xbox 360 debuted on November 22.

Console owners reported that some systems had crashed during regular use as well as during online game play using the Xbox Live service. Problems included screens going black and the appearance of a variety of error messages.

At the time O'Donnell told Reuters: "We have received a few isolated reports of consoles not working as expected."

She declined to say how many reports Microsoft had received and said that calls reporting the issue to the company represented a "very, very small fraction" of units sold.

The lawsuit, filed on Friday in federal court in Illinois, seeks unspecified damages and litigation-related expenses, as well as the replacement or recall of Xbox 360 game consoles.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051205/tc_nm/media_xbox_dc
    Quote Originally Posted by brembo
    "This is a stick-up...I have an armadillo in my pants"

Thi is exactly the reason why I wait to purchase new gaming systems. Let them fix all the flaws first.
    - Reps for being a smartass.
    SG Sh!!t List

Bouncer, downhill, John, Kip Patterson, Roody, YeOldeStonecat, Ken, Philip, David, Indy, Noevo.

i would be pissed if i was one of those ppl that spent like 5k on an Ebay xbox, just to have it freeze up all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by brembo
    "This is a stick-up...I have an armadillo in my pants"

even if he wins, the amount of money he will get from them still won't hurt them enough that they will change their business practices. None of these big companies care.

Pie
    SG Pimp Name : *Treacherous P. Shizzle*
    The fight for our way of life needs to be fought on our own soil, for our own people and because of our own interests.
    Hey, If Me & My Buddies Were Making Billions of Dollars I'd Tell Ya What Ya Wanted To Hear Too!

Since I only bought the cardboard box the console comes in, i don't have these issues.
    My son ... ask for thyself another internet connection, for that which I leave is too slow for thee

Uninsured for your health
    Now I don't feel so bad for not owning a new game console since the Sega Genises...
    Quote Originally Posted by Three Rivers Designs
    America! Love it or give it back!

Quote Originally Posted by Zilog B
    Since I only bought the cardboard box the console comes in, i don't have these issues.
    ROOFLES!
    Have your feelings been hurt by a random act of E-Thuggery? If so, call 1-800-Waaaaahmbulance, we're here 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, you could be due a large monetary settlement, don't delay, call now.

"Please be careful prior to entering the world wide web, the internet is serious business"

holy **** ahahahahaha that was a good one, funny thing if it were true you are probably gonna be joined by a few hundred other people too.
    The fight for our way of life needs to be fought on our own soil, for our own people and because of our own interests.
    Hey, If Me & My Buddies Were Making Billions of Dollars I'd Tell Ya What Ya Wanted To Hear Too!

Quote Originally Posted by CiscoKid
    Now I don't feel so bad for not owning a new game console since the Sega Genises...

I still want to get a dreamcast
    My son ... ask for thyself another internet connection, for that which I leave is too slow for thee

Quote Originally Posted by CiscoKid
    I bought the Jaguar! I think they made like a whole 3 games for it!

Pie

Points on the way dude LOL
    - Reps for being a smartass.
    SG Sh!!t List

Bouncer, downhill, John, Kip Patterson, Roody, YeOldeStonecat, Ken, Philip, David, Indy, Noevo.

tee hee

i knew those empty boxes would come in handy...no errors!

Bastard! I was waiting for the right time to start a thread saying I got one!

It happened to you too
    http://members.speedguide.net/daddylongleg/speedguidesig.jpg

The old adage with Microsoft is to wait to purchase a new Microsoft OS until they release the first service pack.

It seems this also holds true for their consoles, wait a little while until the next revision.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent
    The old adage with Microsoft is to wait to purchase a new Microsoft OS until they release the first service pack.

It seems this also holds true for their consoles, wait a little while until the next revision.
    Not really. Their first version didn't have any major problems out of the gate (save for those Thompson DVD-ROMs), and their newest console doesn't appear to have any widespread problems at this point either. I have no doubt that some people have gotten defective machines, but I haven't seen any facts that indicate that there are any inherent defects with the system.

Yes, the system runs hot. Place it in an appropriate location. You wouldn't run your new powerful computer under a quilt, would you?

Yes, if you change the orientation of the machine while a disc is spinning, you'll probably scratch it up. The machine wasn't made to be portable while you are playing it. If you have some strange desire to pick up your system and shake it while you're playing a game, get a Game Boy.

Beyond that, most of what I'm seeing is simply FUD.

any gaming machines like this suck iMO.... anyone want a old x-box cause I never play the thing! LOL Bring on the power PC's!!!!
    I'll look at it again another day when they stick a 7800 GTX 512 card in them

Quote Originally Posted by Sava700
    I'll look at it again another day when they stick a 7800 GTX 512 card in them

Why thats current tech, the ATI card is better than what we have available in the pc area.

Also from what I've heard, they overheat because of the power supply placement, moving it in the chasis allows it more air and then fixes the freezing.

Lets go burn crosses at their Redmond HQ!!!!!