Thread: shaw@home slow like hell!!!

Thumbs down shaw@home slow like hell!!!

in my area, always no signal or slower than a 56k modem! what the hell is going on? it's not the first time! if it's still happen, I better think of the ADSL!

I'm living in Richmond (B.C.), my area is Steveston / Thomson. anyone live in this area & having same problem as me?

SG Enthusiast

Have you given them a call?

AlCappacino

Thumbs down

I live in Downtown Vancouver...Shaw can lick my balls...I'm going telus ADSL as soon as I can....sick and tired of Rogers/Shaw's overpriced garbage.

If you are getting no signal (lights on modem go out) I would definitely try out another service.

Vancouver isnt exactly the best place for reliable Cable internet, or DSL for that matter. The proximity to salt water and excessive rain moisture tends to corrode the copper cable and copper phone lines that are more than 20 years old or so. If you think the rust on your cars are bad, you should see asplit open coaxial cable that has been water compromised (The copper turns into a greenish-black mess)

Here in Calgary, almost zero problems with intermittent connection due to moisture. In the Okanagan, they use fiber optics for much of the area.

Last time I was on the Island I left a potato chip bag open for a couple of hours and turned into the consistency of pancakes. Here I can leave the bag open for a week and they will get crispier :P

[ 03-27-2001: Message edited by: ZenOps ]

Wink

I am using Shaw@home too. my download speed is like 100kb to 300kbps. the only problem is high ping

I had call Shaw before. they said they can't do anything for that. they only ask me to download some patchs to increase my speed.

Smile

I live in nyc and have RoadRunner by time time warner cable, and it smokes, on downloads I get 250-350kbps a sec and gaming very low pings, they provide 2mb download and 300k upload, used to have dsl but got rid of it, nothing beats the download speeds of cable, for the price cable is the way to go, well in my area at least, cya.

Dood,
    I know, totally suck! My modem turns off like every 5mins. Its soooo anoying! Really pissing me off now...look at some pics i put 2 gether... http://memebers.home.net/kewlmatt13/speed.htm

Matt

Btw, The promised that "there new backbone" would be wicked...uhunh BS

Detroit, Michigan Internet: Comcast Narrowband

Bad link.
    Work: DQ
    Comp: AXP 1600+, MSI K7T266a Pro2 RU, 512MB PC2100, GF3 Ti200 128MB

if ur modem turns off then u need to power cyle it that happened to me i was about ready to drop kick the son of a bitch but n e way the way u do that is u turn on ur comp and leave ur modem off. Count 30 secs and turn it back on this usually takes care of the problem the first time but if it doesn't work do the process again.

Ryan

capdjq

Cool

I,too live in Richmond. Shaw is not the greatest, but is the only game in town. ADSL is not available in my area and there is no other. It beats the dial up system and at 39 dollars Canadian its a steal.

capdjq

I am living in Markham, my Cable got disconnect all the time. whenever get disconnect then need to wait about 30 min to get back. I hate it. I am thinking to change another high speed internet.

Yours is an individual problem as other users in the Richmond, BC area have pretty fast speeds well past 100KBytes/sec and even 200+KB/sec!

First ensure your computer settings are actually optimized for broadband and not dial-up connection by using that TCP/IP Analyzer Tool: http://forums.speedguide.net/optd.shtml

After you tweak and still no speed increase then check your ping results to your gateway. Are your ping times bad or maybe you're dropping packets like mad.

Call Shaw and ask if your cable modem is transmitting at levels within specification. Also ask them if your area is on the Rogers backbone or the newer Shaw backbone ... they are in the process of converting the entire Lower Mainland area to the Shaw backbone.

Regards - Steve

tekelberry

What a surprise is all I can say.

Cool

drum role... and now Videon users get to enjoy the fun too ...
    http://161.58.189.82/cgi-bin/ultimat...c&f=2&t=012367

[ 03-31-2001: Message edited by: donald_k ]

Wink

I am also living in Markham, Ontario. We get very few downtime from Rogers@home, but we still get them. This is the result I got from the tweak test:

TCP options string = 020405b40103030201010402

MTU = 1500
    MTU is fully optimized for broadband.

MSS = 1460
    Maximum useful data in each packet = 1460, which is equal to MSS.

Default Receive Window (RWIN) = 204400
    RWIN Scaling (RFC1323) = 2 bits
    Unscaled Receive Window = 51100
    RWIN is a multiple of MSS
    Other values for RWIN that might work well with your current MTU/MSS:
    513920 (MSS x 44 * scale factor of 8)
    256960 (MSS x 44 * scale factor of 4)
    128480 (MSS x 44 * scale factor of 2)
    64240 (MSS x 44)

bandwidth * delay product:
    Your RcvWindow limits you to: 8176 kbps (1022 KBytes/s) @ 200ms
    Your RcvWindow limits you to: 3270.4 kbps (408.8 KBytes/s) @ 500ms