Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Well, I had a very big car wreck today

Well, I had a very big car wreck today

I'm ok, no pain, yet, nothing broken, nothing bleeding.

My car though

So we were on the highway, i'd say going around 55, lady behind me apparently wants to pass me, our lane slows down, she wasn't looking ahead, BAM, hit me, like the second before it happens I could tell she was gonna hit me, not enough time to react, i veer to the right, head down a steep slope, do a few 360's in the field, almost flipped completely over, was on two wheels, was able to steer it back to 4 wheels, landed.

Pretty messed up back end, tires blown out, windows blown out, who knows what damage is underneath. Yep. I'm still shakin up, nerves, adrenaline, etc....

Luckily she had insurance, car is sitting at the dealership now, gotta call them tomorrow, will probably take a few weeks to fix, hopefully her insurance will pay for everything seeing as how it was her fault.

Just goes to show, you may be a safe driver, but it's all the other idiots out on the road you have to watch out for. You are literally in their hands. I had an angel watching out for me today, it could have been a lot worse, i could have been tossed the other way into oncoming traffic.

Sucks, I had such a great evening planned, now this. It's just a material thing though, can be fixed, glad i'm OK, thank the lord.

I'm going to take a hot shower and sleep.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Dang that sucks. Yeah...I know the shakey feeling. Good no injuries. Sucks about the car...that was a fairly new mini-ute you got, right? I hate that....even though the garage can do a good job of making the vehicle look good again, it irks me that I know it's not 100% right underneath. Just the fact that "it's been in an accident".
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
    Dang that sucks. Yeah...I know the shakey feeling. Good no injuries. Sucks about the car...that was a fairly new mini-ute you got, right? I hate that....even though the garage can do a good job of making the vehicle look good again, it irks me that I know it's not 100% right underneath. Just the fact that "it's been in an accident".
    Yep, got it a year ago, this is it's first major accident. Even though they can fix it up I'll know what happened to it.

Luckily it is just a material thing though, can be fixed or replaced, lives cannot.

Glad to hear you are okay brent
    The Way
    John 14:6

Glad to hear your ok, Brent!!!

Since you were hit from behind, just be aware that there could very well be soft tissue injuries to the spinal column. The neck being suspect.

If you do experience any pain....get it looked at pronto. Her insurance should cover all your medical.

Your car? Since the windows were blown out, expct to hear some really bad news.

Well Brent, I have been in your situation before and the best advice I can give you is that if you feel any pain at all go get checked out. Some things could be supressed by the nervousness and adrenaline.

Additionally make sure your insurance is aware of this if you haven't already. I am guessing you have full coverage on it.

Deal with your insurance company not the other persons. Your insurance company will bill/sue theirs. It is a lot easier this way and results come faster and are more just.

Glad to hear you made it out OK. Don't forget to thank God everyday that you are alive to see it.

-lance
    A mistake does not become an error until one refuses to correct it

Folding for the future

Thanks guys, yes, I have full coverage and she did as well I think, so all should be covered, i'll find out tomorrow morning when I can call the insurancy agency.

BTW she hit me with a big Z71 truck, so it was quite a hit. And she was about 18-19 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent
    Thanks guys, yes, I have full coverage and she did as well I think, so all should be covered, i'll find out tomorrow morning when I can call the insurancy agency.

BTW she hit me with a big Z71 truck, so it was quite a hit. And she was about 18-19 years old.
    Are you still single? Is she good looking? Did you get her number?
    A mistake does not become an error until one refuses to correct it

Folding for the future

The thing that sucks the most, is that your insurance is going to go up anyway, even though you did nothing wrong. Im glad to hear your ok and it wasnt worse.

Dude make sure you get at least $5,000 cash for it. At least. The value of your car just went down to next to nothing because of the crash. Even if it get's fixed.
    Respect it.

Quote Originally Posted by wee96
    The thing that sucks the most, is that your insurance is going to go up anyway, even though you did nothing wrong. Im glad to hear your ok and it wasnt worse.
    really?

Quote Originally Posted by ScottE
    Dude make sure you get at least $5,000 cash for it. At least. The value of your car just went down to next to nothing because of the crash. Even if it get's fixed.
    oh you're right, i haven't thought about that

really?

Nah, it shouldn't if you've been with the company for a while.
    Respect it.

oh you're right, i haven't thought about that

Yeah, plus the emotional trauma and all that. You probably could get $10,000 from her Insurance company and never have to set foot in court. You'd probably have to sign something saying that you won't sue and all that though. But if you aren't really hurt it's worth it. Your car seriously went down in value because it has been in a crash.
    Respect it.

Mississauga, Ontario , Canada. Behaviour : Good
    Glad u're alright... u should go get urself checked out either way if you can.

that sucks brent glad your ok though!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilog B
    Loading the dishwasher at brembo's house means bringing the fiancee a sixpack home.

Glad you're ok. I went through this a few years ago. My biggest mistake was ignoring the soreness/stiffness and waiting to get a lawyer. Went to my doc the next day. My back felt better after a few days, but then a couple months later got really painful when trying to do anything athletic. By that time their insurance, nor mine wanted to cover the medical bills. My own company (State Farm) sent me to a hack doctor to dispute my claims. A Lawer helped me settle for the med bills... I didn't ask for more.. but maybe should've.

Talk to people in the following order:
    File a Police report
    Your Doctor
    Consult with a Lawer (most will consult for free)
    Insurance company
    Abit NF7, 2500+ o/c'd to 3200+, 1GB 3200 DDR, 9800Pro 128M, DVDrw, 80GB 8M, XPpro

Glad your OK.

Brent,

If your back hurts or is sore tomorrow or in the next few days I would advise you to go to your physician or the emergency room and ask for an MRI. Explain the accident and that you're worried about a herniated disc. Herniated discs are quite common in auto accidents but the damage may not become apparent for some time after, by which time, fixing liability for time off work or surgical costs may be impossible.

Seriously. Any back pain or shooting pains down your legs = demand an MRI. Not an xray, they don't show soft tissue damage well at all. You need to document that the injury occured at the time of the accident or you WILL get hosed by your insurance company if you need treatment or therapy or time off from work to recover.

Its not about committing fraud or suing for "mo money, mo money". It's about protecting yourself and making sure YOU don't pay out of YOUR pocket for the accident related injuries.

I urge you in the stongest terms to protect your legal rights and document everything medical related. You have to know the insurance companies will be looking out for themselves and will happily leave you a near cripple without a second thought if it saves them a penny to do so. Do NOT take a settlement offer without consulting with an independent lawyer. Some will do it for free, but even if you pay the 50.00-150.00 consult fee it will be worth it to know you have someone on your side making sure you're not getting the rug pulled out from under you.

Protect yourself, NO ONE ELSE WILL!

Regards,
    -Bouncer-

Sorry to hear that Brent! Glad you're OK!

They will probably deem your car totaled though!

Maybe now you can get a real SUV?
    Have your feelings been hurt by a random act of E-Thuggery? If so, call 1-800-Waaaaahmbulance, we're here 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, you could be due a large monetary settlement, don't delay, call now.

"Please be careful prior to entering the world wide web, the internet is serious business"