Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally purchased a Rebel XT.

Finally purchased a Rebel XT.

Hot damn, this thing is amazing. It's everything I've ever wanted and expected in a camera. Fast as heck and sturdy like a snowblower.

My wife wanted pictures of our children for christmas cards and intended on going to a professional studio. It's a huge hassel getting the three kids to the studio for a photography session, esp during this holiday rush.

We dressed them up in candy cane jammies and I took 30-40 pictures in about 3 minutes. Only ONE of them was perfect. If we went to a studio, we'd be able to choose from 6-8 max.

I'm doing 'breakfast with santa' next weekend at my daughters elementary school. I'm working with the PTA to use my camera/laptop to take pictures of each child on santa's lap. I'm hoping to get at least 10 pictures per child and rip it to cd for $5, letting the proceeds benefit the PTA.

I can't rave about this camera enough. It's allowed me to take pictures of my children that I previously only dreamed were possible. When you have 3 kids running around like madmen, you usually have less then 1/2 a second to capture a shot. With this camera, it's finally possible to grab all those shots I had previously missed.

Thank you, that is all, good buy!
    Strap It On Whenever It Seems Appropriate

http://www.tomsclan.com

congrats
    glad ur happy with it
    To be human is to choose.

It is better to die on your feet
    than to live on your knees.

- Emiliano Zapata

Mississauga, Ontario , Canada. Behaviour : Good
    Can I get an xmas card?

My dad got one for my mom as a christmas gift. It dosent take movies does it?
    ** Speed 3370(down)/425(up) kbps **
    My IROC-Z28

Quote Originally Posted by CoolJ
    negative.

Depending on your mother's needs, it might not be the best camera for her. You can't use the LCD to take the shot, only for reviewing a shot you've just taken.

I've owned 5 digital camera's in the past couple of years. By far, this is the most user friendly of any camera i've used for the beginner. The full-auto mode is really fully automatic and still takes perfect pictures. It's also the best in low-light conditions (living room with 1 60-watt bulb). It utilizes the beam and runs a rapid-repeat flash to quickly gain focus, vs other digital cameras that sometimes fail to focus in low light conditions.

I might pick up a canon sd### in the spring to compliment the rebel. If I take my kids camping, I'm not going to want to walk around with a $1k camera and climb over rocks.

Zooner, which lens did you get with it? More than one?

R.I.P. 2017-10-02 Joint Chiefs of Staff's Avatar
    35mm or Digital?
    >>Cult Master of International Affairs<<

Quote Originally Posted by Joint Chiefs of Staff
    35mm or Digital?
    Digital SLR.

Thanks for the review, I almost went back to 35mm. I want to go digital SLR but need to wait for the prices to drop a bit. Its hard getting action shots with a regular digital, anything not posed is a gamble.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolJ

The XT is a great digital photo. For snaps and videos, look at the SD550 or the S80.

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...categoryid=113

Click the camera and read the propaganda.

Hell_Yes

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Sounds like a nice camera. I'm in the market for one as well, but want at least 8x Optical Zoom.
    Have your feelings been hurt by a random act of E-Thuggery? If so, call 1-800-Waaaaahmbulance, we're here 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, you could be due a large monetary settlement, don't delay, call now.

"Please be careful prior to entering the world wide web, the internet is serious business"

Quote Originally Posted by Prey521
    Sounds like a nice camera. I'm in the market for one as well, but want at least 8x Optical Zoom.
    with an slr you you can get whatever lens will fit the camera

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty
    with an slr you you can get whatever lens will fit the camera
    I see, but I'm not in the market for an SLR, just a point and shoot.
    Have your feelings been hurt by a random act of E-Thuggery? If so, call 1-800-Waaaaahmbulance, we're here 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, you could be due a large monetary settlement, don't delay, call now.

"Please be careful prior to entering the world wide web, the internet is serious business"

Good choice,zooner.

I have the original Digital Rebel and I love it. I'm sure the XT is even nicer. For lenses, The 35mm f2 and 50mm f1.8 cover nearly all of my needs. The 35mm equivalents are 56 and 80 which are the focal lengths I've used the most for over 40 years with film. I have little use for the cheap zoomie that came with the camera.

--Tom
    "Mr President, you have big balls" - Dominica prime minister Eugenia Charles to Ronald Reagan after the invasion of Grenada, 1983

"We win and they lose. What do you think of that?" - Ronald Reagan, 1977

Blog Entries

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...&modelid=11368

Hell_Yes

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Nice, thanks!

I see, but I'm not in the market for an SLR, just a point and shoot.
    just wanted to add...

I've owned 5 digital cameras. I believe this has the best automatic mode of any camera I've EVER used.

SLR has a reputuation of being complicated, but every decent digital camera's advanced features are complicated. Definately balanced for the newbie and old bearded grand-daddy alike.

SpeedFreak
    Nice choice. Did you go with the silver or black body?

I have the original Digital Rebel and I like it more. The new XT is too small for my hands. However, I would sure dig some more MP and better chip.

Hey Zooner, you have always been cool with me, but i was wondering whats up with the feedback in the classified--
    (-) Zooner
    i don't know but Zooner seem like a very nice guys at first
    i bought a dead Mombo from him and it was DOA
    i sent him a PM and he said will refund my $
    this is the last PM he sent me
    no problem at all.

I remember that mobo and I also remember I didn't have a means to test it.

perfectly reasonable that it doesnt work and i will most certainly refund your money.

pass along your paypal and you'll have your money asap.

tom

..........but after this he ignored all my PMs and never send anything to my paypal account
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by zooner
    Hot damn, this thing is amazing. It's everything I've ever wanted and expected in a camera. Fast as heck and sturdy like a snowblower.

My wife wanted pictures of our children for christmas cards and intended on going to a professional studio. It's a huge hassel getting the three kids to the studio for a photography session, esp during this holiday rush.

We dressed them up in candy cane jammies and I took 30-40 pictures in about 3 minutes. Only ONE of them was perfect. If we went to a studio, we'd be able to choose from 6-8 max.

I'm doing 'breakfast with santa' next weekend at my daughters elementary school. I'm working with the PTA to use my camera/laptop to take pictures of each child on santa's lap. I'm hoping to get at least 10 pictures per child and rip it to cd for $5, letting the proceeds benefit the PTA.

I can't rave about this camera enough. It's allowed me to take pictures of my children that I previously only dreamed were possible. When you have 3 kids running around like madmen, you usually have less then 1/2 a second to capture a shot. With this camera, it's finally possible to grab all those shots I had previously missed.

Thank you, that is all, good buy!
    "A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."

Bruce Lee

I was just using my moms, HOLY CRAP! What a camera! Like i'll ever use my 2.1 MP again, mine as well flush it.
    ** Speed 3370(down)/425(up) kbps **
    My IROC-Z28