Thread: Please Help ME!!

Exclamation Please Help ME!!

ok so let me see if i can explain my problems.

I have a cable connection with 3000 mbs and i need a router that that can transmit 3000 mtu instead of 1492 mtu or whatever because i want to be able to run 2 xbox live accounts at the same time. my current router which has a 1500 mtu will only let 1 xbox run at once because the xbox uses somthing like 1365 mtu per xbox. are there any type of router that can transmit 3000 mtu on the market because i have had no luck finding one.

MTU isn't the issue here.

The default MTU is 1500. That's pretty much the norm even for providers. Basically, that means that per connection, 1500 bytes is the max per packet. Even if you raised your MTU, if your provider has a 1500 byte MTU, you're not going over 1500 bytes. It just means that your packets will be fragmented at their ingress and each packet broken down to meet their MTU. This could cause latency which will negatively affect your gaming.

I think the real issue here has more to do with NAT on the router.
    Running two XBOXs, behind the router would likely mean that each is running on the same port and if that's the case, only one device can run at a time.

Eg - WAN IP 66.24.24.12
    LAN IP 192.168.1.1 - XBOX #1
    LAN IP 192.168.1.2 - XBOX #2

If both XBOXs run the same protocol, on the same port (88 and 3074 for XBOX Live), the internet has no way to distinguish between XBOX #1 and XBOX #2. (NAT uses the port numbers to differentiate between the two hosts).

So, when XBOX #1 accesses the net it's mapped as follows

192.168.1.1:88 --> 66.24.24.12:88

adding the other XBOX would make

192.168.1.2:88 --> 66.24.24.12:88

See the problem? XBOX #2 isn't going to work if XBOX 1 is up. Conversely XBOX 1 won't work if XBOX 2 is up. Perhaps both don't work when the other is attempting access.

As far as I can tell, the only way to make this work, still using the router, is to hack one of your XBOXs to run on a different port. While this might work on your end, XBOX live servers may filter for packets only on the port designated, negating your efforts.

See this site. http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n100495.asp

Look at the very bottom of the page.

"1 Since NAT causes your LAN appear as a single computer to the Internet, it is impossible to configure other servers the same way on the same LAN behind NAT."

So you're only real option is to use a HUB. Plug the hub into your modem and then both X-Boxes into the hub as well. They should each get their own IP address. If they do, you can run both as each will have it's own IP and no NAT to mess things up.

The only problem with this is most ISPs don't let you have multiple IPs without paying for them. You can probably get away with it on limited occasions but you may want to check your EULA to make sure your not doing something that can get your service turned off.

When you're done with your gaming, plug the router back in. I would also suggest that you NOT plug your PCs in to this hub without the router. You'll lose all firewalling protection while this is up. I suppose you could plug the router into the hub as well during gaming times but that would be 3 IPs and may throw up a red flag in provider country.

Long story short, don't worry about MTU, worry about NAT. Get a cheap 4 port hub It's cheaper than a router and you'll be able to get both XBOXs working at the same time.

FunK
    Last edited by FunK; 11-15-05 at 12:36 PM.
    Simply run adaware, spybot, ZoneAlarm, HijackThis, AVG, update windows daily, have a router, don't open e-mail, turn off action scripting, don't use P2P networks, don't violate EULAs, and wear a condom to get Windows secured.

People say Linux is alot of work!

Thank you for the information FunK i will go get a hub and try this out. Agian that was a very detailed and good ansewer and ill take the advise and try and maybe ill be able to fix my problem.

Hey no problem.. If you can, follow up on this thread after you try it and let us know.
    That way if anyone ever searches for it, they may be helped as well.

Peace,
    FunK
    Simply run adaware, spybot, ZoneAlarm, HijackThis, AVG, update windows daily, have a router, don't open e-mail, turn off action scripting, don't use P2P networks, don't violate EULAs, and wear a condom to get Windows secured.

Well i finally got around to getting to the store and i bought a net gear 5 port fats ethernet switch for like 35 dollars and now i have both my xbox's running at once online plus the computer i very much appreciated your advise FunK.

Everthimng in this post works.. You need a Hub/switch to run 2 xbox at the same time online not a router.

FunK is the Man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by kexit0s
    ok so let me see if i can explain my problems.

I have a cable connection with 3000 mbs and i need a router that that can transmit 3000 mtu instead of 1492 mtu or whatever because i want to be able to run 2 xbox live accounts at the same time. my current router which has a 1500 mtu will only let 1 xbox run at once because the xbox uses somthing like 1365 mtu per xbox. are there any type of router that can transmit 3000 mtu on the market because i have had no luck finding one.

You can't think of MTU that way....it's not something you "add up" per each node on your network. Your issue was probably that you were trying to run each XBox as a server? The kids run more than 1x XBox online behind the router in my house.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Sweet. Glad it worked for you.

YOSC, his issue was with two XBox servers behind the router.

ehh the hub didnt help..

the information was helpful, but went out and purchased a 4 port hub, and could not get the two xboxes to go online together. basicaly only one or the other would go online depending which one tried to connect first.. perhaps it wont configure it with two separate ip addresses?

Are both set for DHCP (get an IP automatically)?
    If they are both still set for static IPs (normally behind a router), they won't work as the addresses would be private. I don't know what the XBox actually uses for IP settings but I would ensure that both are set for DHCP and then try to find out if both are getting an address from the ISP. Remember that it's cable modem, hub, xboxes. Also make sure that all your cables are correct and that you're getting a link light on all ports.