Thread: Access Denied (how to gain access to another machine QUICKLY!!)

Access Denied (how to gain access to another machine QUICKLY!!)

And yet quite possibly another no brainer for you all, I work on a large number of machines for family and friends, mostly 2000 or XP Home and Pro and to be quite honest with you I am not sure what the best way to connect to these machines would be, what I mean is I am soooooo tired of setting up a machine in my shop, running up stairs to my primary machine to either get in remotly or tap into the c:\ drive of the other machine only to realize that I do not have permition, or I do not remember the computer name, or I do not have the password, or I can not log on as the "guest". Do you know what I mean? I get so frustrated when I get the "Access Denied" message. it seems to me I spend more time trying to get into these machines than I do reparing them. So I guess my question would be, once I have the machine setup what is the FASTEST way for me to gain access to that machine from another machine? Lets just focus on XP and 2000, Do I really have to setup a user first to gain access? or is there a quicker way. Thanks.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    On NT, yes, to gain access remotely to the C$ or any share, unless simple file sharing is enabled..you need to know a local account.

First though, as "connect to it remotely" can be MANY different ways...what are you trying to do? Access local shares? Or just remote desktop?
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

I will need to do both, I like to do all the work remotely. I am talking about full access. Obviously on a domain it is rather simple, but for machines that are not it can be a down right pain in the ass (at least for me) to connect to joe blows computer that he has brought to you to fix. As far as remote tools, again I have no problem on a domain but NetMeeting and DameWare will not work as I get an access denied message, VNC will work but I first have to touch that machine to install the server part of it.