Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: North Korea on CNN Tonight

North Korea on CNN Tonight

If you have CNN, at 8pm Eastern they'll be showing CNN Presents. This will be a report on conditions in North Korea using video obtained in North Korea from dissidents who risked their lives to acquire and smuggle the footage out.

As a simple comparison:

NKorea has a population of around 22 Million people and a GDP of about 40 Billion. The per capital income is about 1,700 dollars per person per year.

SKorea has a population of around 48 Million people and a GDP of about 925 Billion. The per capita income is about 19,500 dollars per person per year.

That, is how striking the difference is. I think it's worth watching because the country is edging towards a complete economic collapse. This will put the government in the position of having to invade north into China, or south into South Korea. The China option isn't viable because the Chineese could swiftly crush the North Koreans. Thus, the likelyhood of an invasion into South Korea is becoming more and more likely. With NKorea either already a nuclear power, or likely to be one soon, this means that the risk of a nuclear conflict on the Korean pennisula in the next five years is probably greater than 1-in-3.

Which means, we have to figure out our response when and if the invasion occurs and when and if NKorea employs atomic weapons. It's not enough to say "Well we'll vaporize Pongyang!" That's not a realistic response. The question is going to be, how do we conquer and reunite North Korea in a way that does not lead to an intervention from China. Because they will not tolerate a democratic government on their southern flank.

Anyways, hopefully this will be an interesting program that will spur some discussions on the problems NK faces, and how we can avoid a penninsula war becoming a nuclear one.

Regards,
    -Bouncer-

Broke
    Quote Originally Posted by Bouncer
    The question is going to be, how do we conquer and reunite North Korea in a way that does not lead to an intervention from China.
    Regards,
    -Bouncer-
    Interesting that nothing has happened and they are no theat to the US at this time yet you state you need to devise an excuse to conquer them.
    Why is that?

edit

I realize that is taken from within a broader statement it just irks me that diplomacy is no longer an option, its bomb the chit out of them, then move on to the next country

Quote Originally Posted by Chris
    Interesting that nothing has happened and they are no theat to the US at this time yet you state you need to devise an excuse to conquer them.
    Why is that?
    He's saying that instead of letting China helping N. Korea to win, something needs to be done to ensure a S. Korea victory and keep a bastion of democracy alive.
    Tao_Jones Cult Member since 2004
    I gave Miss Manners a Dirty Sanchez, and she LIKED it.

SG Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris
    Why is that?

edit

I realize that is taken from within a broader statement it just irks me that diplomacy is no longer an option, its bomb the chit out of them, then move on to the next country
    Slow down, cowboy. Bouncer was talking about contingency plans :

Quote Originally Posted by Bouncer
    This will put the government in the position of having to invade north into China, or south into South Korea.
    anything is possible - nothing is free

Quote Originally Posted by Blisster
    It *would* be brokeback bay if I in fact went and hung out with Skye and co (did I mention he is teh hotness?)

Fact check: "Little Boy" technology. Multiple stage rocketry. tick, tock... Just a thought.

Verizon 3000/768 DHCP DSL:
    Download Speed: 2802 kbps (350.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 717 kbps (89.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
    :2cool:

Chris,

Please re-read my statement. My concerns start at the point that diplomacy has failed. That failure is something I think is inevitable because the people are headed back into starvation for the second time in less than ten years. The last time, it killed 10% of their population.

This time, it could kill more. Combined with an Avian Flu epidemic and lack of modern medicines the country could easily start to disintegrate. It's not likely to peaceably implode as did most of eastern europe. Instead, it's far more likely to lead to a desperate invasion across the border in to South Korea in order to gain control of South Koreas food, medical supplies, and territorial wealth.

When that occurs, we will have to have a response ready which allows us to win AND avoids a head on conflict between the US and China. A response which anticipates the likelyhood of the use of nuclear weapons by the North Koreans and the damage they may cause.

Regards,
    -Bouncer-

When will it come on fox? Let me know then.

The N. Koreans are very hard to negotiate with, I heard a US diplomat saying they have gone so far as to cut 3 or 4 inches off chair legs so when they are negotiating the westerners are sitting lower than them.

I don't beleive China wants N.Korea to do anything rash, anymore than we do.

I don't see how it would benefit them.
    Feelings about religion: I believe in a dogma-free personal Prime Mover.

Ughh sorry I missed that one. Would have liked to have seen it.

R.I.P. 2017-10-02 Joint Chiefs of Staff's Avatar
    Contract work in S. Korea has opened up dramatically in the past year. hmmmmmmm

Honestly, I say pull all US Expiates, Military and support personnel out from overseas, expel all non-US citizens and even those who acquired it through other channels, lock down the US borders and let everyone duke it out.
    >>Cult Master of International Affairs<<

Broke
    Quote Originally Posted by Joint Chiefs of Staff

Honestly, I say pull all US Expiates, Military and support personnel out from overseas, expel all non-US citizens and even those who acquired it through other channels, lock down the US borders and let everyone duke it out.
    Now that makes sence

Oh yeah, that would be good for the world. China and N Korea with free reign over Japan, Taiwan, Phillipines, etc..

A lot of you folks might not think that it's right for our troops to be deployed to protect other nations but that's not the way to look at it. If our military might isn't aligned to protect our allies, they would likely no longer exist. Like it or not, it's the threat of a US ass kicking that keeps half the world's rougue nations in check.

It's a necessary evil.

I'm with Bouncer on this one. Not a pretty situation but there is no way out of it for the US. We will need to be ready and I hope someone is making plans.
    Simply run adaware, spybot, ZoneAlarm, HijackThis, AVG, update windows daily, have a router, don't open e-mail, turn off action scripting, don't use P2P networks, don't violate EULAs, and wear a condom to get Windows secured.

People say Linux is alot of work!

I dont get it why do we have to do anything at all?

Just let them duke it out for themselves.

Maybe if we could get Humby to offer Kim Jung Dung a complete body makeover, then he'd be willing to negotiate.
    Feelings about religion: I believe in a dogma-free personal Prime Mover.

Quote Originally Posted by Augustus

That's like me seeing your mother get raped and turning my head and walking away. It's not my business after all....
    Simply run adaware, spybot, ZoneAlarm, HijackThis, AVG, update windows daily, have a router, don't open e-mail, turn off action scripting, don't use P2P networks, don't violate EULAs, and wear a condom to get Windows secured.

People say Linux is alot of work!

Quote Originally Posted by FunK
    That's like me seeing your mother get raped and turning my head and walking away. It's not my business after all....

right ..the real test will come with Taiwan ...as soon as China decides to take it back ...what then?

I dont see the relevance.

If you saying stuff like this happens all the times..it does...but are we the world's police?

If so there are a lot of other places we need to go to. We can barely handle Iraq(bush not giving more troops and not enough equipment)...how we gonna do this without having an all out war with China?
    Last edited by Ghosthunter; 11-14-05 at 11:11 AM.

Oh yeah, that would be good for the world. China and N Korea with free reign over Japan, Taiwan, Phillipines, etc..

A lot of you folks might not think that it's right for our troops to be deployed to protect other nations but that's not the way to look at it. If our military might isn't aligned to protect our allies, they would likely no longer exist. Like it or not, it's the threat of a US ass kicking that keeps half the world's rougue nations in check.

It's a necessary evil.

I'm with Bouncer on this one. Not a pretty situation but there is no way out of it for the US. We will need to be ready and I hope someone is making plans.
    Don't get me wrong I'm all for the US keeping other countries in check but what does it get the US? Most countrys hate the US and what it stands for.

I dont see the relevance.
    I don't see the relevance either. So much money could go into the United States for education and poverty (the list goes on) it's not even funny.

It's about time the United States becomes selfish and start taking care of itself first.

SG Enthusiast

Treaty. At least in the case of SKorea, Japan and Taiwan.
    anything is possible - nothing is free

Quote Originally Posted by Blisster
    It *would* be brokeback bay if I in fact went and hung out with Skye and co (did I mention he is teh hotness?)