Thread: Opinions Needed. Broadcasting WIFI signals...

Opinions Needed. Broadcasting WIFI signals...

If a person broadcasts a WIFI signal that is open to the world, should it be illegal that a person nearby use that signal??? Is this a punishable offense? How can one differentiate between a free WIFI (like airports) and just some lazy/uneducated user that doesnt secure their WIFI? Do you know the law in your area?

My opinion: If its not encrypted and secured it must be a public signal that is usable....

i agree. but then again. im sure the ones that dont know better when setting it all up wont see ti our way

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by chimdogger
    My opinion: If its not encrypted and secured it must be a public signal that is usable....
    I disagree with that....for the majority, they simply "don't know any better"...plus up until recently, most wireless hardware defaulted to unsecured setup. At least recently most of the brands now have a setup wizard that turns on security by default.

Just because people don't know any better, doesn't mean they can be taken advantage of or have their stuff used.

It's not unlike leaving the front door to your house unlocked...does that give some stranger the right to enter your home and pilfer your stuff? Raid your fridge? Watch your TV? Drink your beer?
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
    I disagree with that....for the majority, they simply "don't know any better"...plus up until recently, most wireless hardware defaulted to unsecured setup. At least recently most of the brands now have a setup wizard that turns on security by default.

Just because people don't know any better, doesn't mean they can be taken advantage of or have their stuff used.

It's not unlike leaving the front door to your house unlocked...does that give some stranger the right to enter your home and pilfer your stuff? Raid your fridge? Watch your TV? Drink your beer?

I am not condoning stealing by any means, but how does a WIFI user determine free public WIFI and joe users open router?

How does one tell between a freebie WIFI and just an unsecured user network?
    That's a good question....think about the location.
    Nearby offices? Doubt it's open.
    Nearby homes? Doubt it's open.
    At a coffee house, or public library? Probably open.
    At an internet cafe? Probably open.
    At an airport, in the lounge somewhere? Probably open.

Think about the location, think about where this wireless access is. There are some well known places where wireless access is common, such as coffee houses, libraries, many places that cater to traveling businessmen (lounges in airports, etc).

Also the SSID will often give away the name. If you're at a Starbucks, and you see a wireless SSID named Starbucks...then you're pretty good to go.

If you're around some residential or apartment area, or a cluster of professional buildings...and you see some SSIDS that are wide open, and named "Linksys" or "Netgear"..LOL...then you can pretty much figure that some ignorant person set it up, but it's not a public hot spot....so morals should tell you to stay out.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Your making an assumption. What does that make ?...

Verizon 3000/768 DHCP DSL:
    Download Speed: 2802 kbps (350.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 717 kbps (89.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
    :2cool:

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
    That's a good question....think about the location.
    Nearby offices? Doubt it's open.
    Nearby homes? Doubt it's open.
    At a coffee house, or public library? Probably open.
    At an internet cafe? Probably open.
    At an airport, in the lounge somewhere? Probably open.

Think about the location, think about where this wireless access is. There are some well known places where wireless access is common, such as coffee houses, libraries, many places that cater to traveling businessmen (lounges in airports, etc).

Also the SSID will often give away the name. If you're at a Starbucks, and you see a wireless SSID named Starbucks...then you're pretty good to go.

If you're around some residential or apartment area, or a cluster of professional buildings...and you see some SSIDS that are wide open, and named "Linksys" or "Netgear"..LOL...then you can pretty much figure that some ignorant person set it up, but it's not a public hot spot....so morals should tell you to stay out.

What I am getting at is that I just read an article of a guy that was arrested for illegal use of WIFI. 3rd degree offense. Why is it that the user of a broadcasted signal be responsible for where it is coming from? I am just thinking about a guy that is at a coffee house next to a neighborhood home that picks up a signal from a router next door that happens to be named connection SSID "I Love Coffee".

Nevermind. [Goes back to work....]

Yeah and that's where the gray area is...that I guess gets people confused.

IMO, the botton line is, you're using someone elses resources without their permission. They paid for their router, they pay for their electricity, they pay for their internet access, and they have every right to know that they have all of their bandwidth at any time.

"Wireless" is not tangible....hence leading to some confusion I guess. It "spills over" clear property lines..crosses into other property, down the street, etc. Therefore the freeloader doesn't feel that they're stealing "property" so much, because it's intangible.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

There are alot of areas where our legal system and technology are not compatible. It's very difficult to establish laws for this sort of thing with technology that is not built specifically to comply to them, this is one of those cases. Is it the router owner's fault for letting his bandwidth be taken up by someone nextdoor browsing the internet? I think so, provided the other user in no way accesses the network owner's system(s). What about when someone commits some sort of crime from someone else's connection? Who will the law blame then?

Alot of very grey areas, which are not at all helped by the average user's ignorance of how the technology that they purchase and employ works.

I think they'd have to have a strong case that this wasn't accidental usage.

I doubt they're going after someone who thinks they're on their own wireless network but are, in reality, hooked to their neighbors system instead.

Regards,
    -Bouncer-

I think people know what the deal is. You have these War-driver boards that post up open signals, people cruising around with handheld wi-fi detectors looking for open signals and the majority of them pretty much know that when they see a router with an SSID of linksys or dlink that they got themselves a newbie wifi setup and that its good to go. I have had many people come into my shop thinking that they can do the exact same thing and just get a wifi ethernet card in their system and just piggyback off of their neighbors internet since they can't afford or don't want to pay for it themselves. I think its totally wrong to boost a signal from somone who's paying for it and they don't know any better about WEP or security.
    I have in the past recommended to people that they get together with their neighbors and share in the monthly fees and chip in to get a router. At least thats fair and the person isn't being taken advantage of.

Pie
    SG Pimp Name : *Treacherous P. Shizzle*
    The fight for our way of life needs to be fought on our own soil, for our own people and because of our own interests.
    Hey, If Me & My Buddies Were Making Billions of Dollars I'd Tell Ya What Ya Wanted To Hear Too!