Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What can i do

Quote Originally Posted by Blingz
    if you were in my shoes exactly what would you do to fix this problem

Backup all my data and format my pc

reinstall windows and programs, and backedup data

never use P2P software like limewire or anything again.

That would be my way.

First, to clarify something said re Norton antivirus. it is NOT a resource hog on windows xp. Windows xp has absolutely NO resources issues at all, while windows 98's & windows ME does. resources don't come into pplay at all in xp provided you have at least 128 mb of ram. NT opereating systems never had resource issues.

Now, run hijackthis again and put a checkmark next to these items and press the Fix button:

O2 - BHO: myBar BHO - {0494D0D1-F8E0-41ad-92A3-14154ECE70AC} - C:\Program Files\MyWay\myBar\1.bin\MYBAR.DLL (file missing)
    O2 - BHO: URLLink - {4A2AACF3-ADF6-11D5-98A9-00E018981B9E} - C:\Program Files\NewDotNet\newdotnet6_98.dll
    O2 - BHO: C:\WINDOWS\lbbho.dll - {887AEE41-EA9B-420D-8F15-3E32788DF78A} - C:\WINDOWS\lbbho.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: My &Search Bar - {0494D0D9-F8E0-41ad-92A3-14154ECE70AC} - C:\Program Files\MyWay\myBar\1.bin\MYBAR.DLL (file missing)

UNNECESSARY CREATIVE LABS PROCESSES NOT NEEDED FOR SOUND:
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WINDVDPatch] CTHELPER.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdReg] C:\WINDOWS\UpdReg.EXE

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [New.net Startup] rundll32 C:\PROGRA~1\NEWDOT~1\NEWDOT~2.DLL,ClientStartup -s
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OSS] C:\WINDOWS\system32\rlvknlg.exe -boot
    O10 - Hijacked Internet access by New.Net

next, go to c/documents & settings/username/ local settings/temp and delete ALL folders & files in the temp directory.

go to c/program files and delete the newdotnet folder and all files.

go to c/program files and delete the folder My Way & all files.

go to go to c/documents & settings/username/ local settings/temporary internet files and delete all files in it.

rescan with hijackthis after doing the above and post another scan log here.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyT
    First, to clarify something said re Norton antivirus. it is NOT a resource hog on windows xp. Windows xp has absolutely NO resources issues at all, while windows 98's & windows ME does. resources don't come into pplay at all in xp provided you have at least 128 mb of ram. NT opereating systems never had resource issues.

I gotta disagree with that...since Symantec 2002 came out, the retail version, it's gotten progressively worse and worse, making systems feel about as fast as a South American 3 toed sloth that's been shot with a tranquilizer dart, regardless of the horsepower of the rig. Some antivirus brands bring systems to their knees, other brands don't as much.

I'd shoot myself before having to sit down at an XP system with only 128 megs of RAM. 256 megs is still painful. All my clients since XP came out, 512 megs minimum!
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
    I gotta disagree with that...since Symantec 2002 came out, the retail version, it's gotten progressively worse and worse, making systems feel about as fast as a South American 3 toed sloth that's been shot with a tranquilizer dart, regardless of the horsepower of the rig. Some antivirus brands bring systems to their knees, other brands don't as much.

I'd shoot myself before having to sit down at an XP system with only 128 megs of RAM. 256 megs is still painful. All my clients since XP came out, 512 megs minimum!
    yes, I agree that 128 is no where near enough ram for xp and 512 is the minimum it should have.

However, avg was mentioned in this thread and it has about the same footprint on memory as norton does and it too tends to make a system sluggish. But a sluggish system caused by any antivirus app is 100% caused by user configs, not the app itself. There really is no such thing as "out of the box defaults are best" with apps that implement their own drivers and scan engines.

I've said it before and I'll say it again:
    There is absolutely NO reason for halfway competent home user to have an antivirus app running real time protection. (auto protect) The reason is because any virus cannot damage a system unless the user executes it first. The user would be better off disabling auto protect services and only doing weekly or bi-weekly system scans for peace of mind.

LRH

Quote Originally Posted by TonyT
    However, avg was mentioned in this thread and it has about the same footprint on memory as norton does and it too tends to make a system sluggish. But a sluggish system caused by any antivirus app is 100% caused by user configs, not the app itself. There really is no such thing as "out of the box defaults are best" with apps that implement their own drivers and scan engines.

I've said it before and I'll say it again:
    There is absolutely NO reason for halfway competent home user to have an antivirus app running real time protection. (auto protect) The reason is because any virus cannot damage a system unless the user executes it first. The user would be better off disabling auto protect services and only doing weekly or bi-weekly system scans for peace of mind.
    Memory footprint isn't the whole story on how an antivirus app affects system performance though, there is also CPU utilization, and how the AV engine deals with real time file protection. Many AV apps are hovering in the mid teens as far as total memory footprint...yet the system performance from AV app to AV app can be massively different.

The debate on wether real time protection is needed or not is an entirely different thread. A year or two you wouldn't gotten an arguement from me there...these days, with some AV programs running POP/SMTP/Internet monitors scanner plugins...I kind of like those features for my clients. Add to that, I'm spoiled by NOD32 for both myself, and for clients. How you and I use our systems, compared to the average, or even the majority, of users out there, is quite different, as I'm sure you know. Similar to the my belief that I don't want the annoyance or system slowdown from some naggy software firewall...I'm more than totally comfortable with my computer usage, and being behind NAT.

Back to the relevance of this thread, IMO Symancrap home products are horrible, not only slowing down systems, but as you've pointed out and his Hijack can testify...stuff slips by it. If he ran a scan from a quality antivirus (Kapersky or NOD32 are my top 2x nominations)...he'll probably be blown away by how much they will find.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

how is my computer looking now

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 9:17:26 PM, on 11/11/2005
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTHELPER.EXE
    C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
    C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_03\bin\jusched.exe
    C:\Program Files\OptusNet DSL Internet\DSC.exe
    C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe
    C:\Program Files\Eset\nod32kui.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\lib\NMBgMonitor.exe
    C:\Program Files\Eset\nod32krn.exe
    C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\WRSSSDK.exe
    C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    F:\Programs\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://search.optusnet.com.au/?brand=ODSL&panel=1
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://dsl.optusnet.com.au/
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by OptusNet
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
    O2 - BHO: C:\WINDOWS\lbbho.dll - {887AEE41-EA9B-420D-8F15-3E32788DF78A} - C:\WINDOWS\lbbho.dll
    O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Jet Detection] "C:\Program Files\Creative\SBLive\PROGRAM\ADGJDet.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTStartup] C:\Program Files\Creative\Splash Screen\CTEaxSpl.EXE /run
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_05\bin\jusched.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Desktop Service Centre] C:\Program Files\OptusNet DSL Internet\DSC.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SiSPower] Rundll32.exe SiSPower.dll,ModeAgent
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpySweeper] "C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe" /startintray
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nod32kui] "C:\Program Files\Eset\nod32kui.exe" /WAITSERVICE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UserFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -u
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [BgMonitor_{79662E04-7C6C-4d9f-84C7-88D8A56B10AA}] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\lib\NMBgMonitor.exe"
    O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsearch.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: &Translate English Word - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmwordtrans.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmbacklinks.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmcache.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsimilar.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate Page into English - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmtrans.html
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_05\bin\npjpi150_05.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_05\bin\npjpi150_05.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
    O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://dsl.optusnet.com.au/
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: WRNotifier - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WRLogonNTF.dll
    O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
    O23 - Service: iPodService - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    O23 - Service: NOD32 Kernel Service (NOD32krn) - Eset - C:\Program Files\Eset\nod32krn.exe
    O23 - Service: Webroot Spy Sweeper Engine (svcWRSSSDK) - Webroot Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\WRSSSDK.exe
    O23 - Service: FireDaemon Service: winsecure (winsecure) - Sublime Solutions Pty Ltd - C:\WINDOWS\security\FireDaemon.exe

what is this FireDaemon thing because every now and then when my computer starts it comes up with error

I see NOD is on, I think it's also a good idea to do the online scan with Kapersky.
    http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner
    Using extended database option. You will have to "OK" an active X installer. The scan takes quite a bit of time.

After that, go and configure your NOD32 according to Blackspears "setup guide" here. Follow the steps exactly.
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=37509

As for that Winsecure...not all too much on the 'net about that...there is one legitimate application called Winsecure, but from a different software company, it's a lockdown tool. The other references I found were more suspicious of it being from a trojan downloader/backdoor hack tool, when referenced to Sublime. The "Daemon" is just a tool to make an application behave as a "service"..basically starting up and running each time you reboot.

What "error" comes up?

Also, after doing a few scans with spysweeper..you can turn off the real time protection so it doesn't slow you down as much over the next week or so until the trial is over.

And lastly..is your computer running better yet? Did you run CCleaner, and run a defrag after all this was done?
    Guinness for Strength!!!

the error i'm not sure about

but my computer does run a lot smoother now
    with that kaspersk site it cant find a download for it to work it just keeps changing address over and over.

is there another way

the error i'm not sure about

but my computer does run a lot smoother now
    with that kaspersk site it cant find a download for it to work it just keeps changing address over and over.

is there another way
    Active X really wants Internet Explorer to run right, in case you're trying with another browser. With IE, pay attention to the XP sp2 blocker in the top of the screen, kind of yellowish in color, need to right click and "allow".

You ran CCleaner right?
    Guinness for Strength!!!

yeah i ran ccleaner

the error signature is
    szAppName :
    szAppVer :0.0.0.0
    szModName : Unknown
    szModVer :0.0.0.0
    offset : 00000000

error report contents
    C:\DOCUME~1\DANIEL~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER851f.dir00
    \Firedaemon.exe.mdmp

C:\DOCUME~1\DANIEL~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER851f.dir00\appcompat.txt

what does this mean

i ran that kaspersky online scan no threats were found

my computer just lags on start up now

i ran that kaspersky online scan no threats were found

my computer just lags on start up now
    post another hijackthis log and if you do as I say you will have much faster boot.

LRH

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 3:55:44 PM, on 14/11/2005
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTHELPER.EXE
    C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
    C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_05\bin\jusched.exe
    C:\Program Files\OptusNet DSL Internet\DSC.exe
    C:\Program Files\Eset\nod32kui.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\lib\NMBgMonitor.exe
    C:\Program Files\Eset\nod32krn.exe
    C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
    F:\Programs\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://search.optusnet.com.au/?brand=ODSL&panel=1
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://dsl.optusnet.com.au/
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by OptusNet
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
    O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Jet Detection] "C:\Program Files\Creative\SBLive\PROGRAM\ADGJDet.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTStartup] C:\Program Files\Creative\Splash Screen\CTEaxSpl.EXE /run
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_05\bin\jusched.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Desktop Service Centre] C:\Program Files\OptusNet DSL Internet\DSC.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SiSPower] Rundll32.exe SiSPower.dll,ModeAgent
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UserFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -u
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nod32kui] "C:\Program Files\Eset\nod32kui.exe" /WAITSERVICE
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [BgMonitor_{79662E04-7C6C-4d9f-84C7-88D8A56B10AA}] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\lib\NMBgMonitor.exe"
    O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsearch.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: &Translate English Word - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmwordtrans.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmbacklinks.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmcache.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsimilar.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate Page into English - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmtrans.html
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_05\bin\npjpi150_05.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_05\bin\npjpi150_05.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
    O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://dsl.optusnet.com.au/
    O16 - DPF: {0EB0E74A-2A76-4AB3-A7FB-9BD8C29F7F75} (CKAVWebScan Object) - http://www.kaspersky.com/downloads/k...an_unicode.cab
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: WRNotifier - WRLogonNTF.dll (file missing)
    O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
    O23 - Service: iPodService - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    O23 - Service: NOD32 Kernel Service (NOD32krn) - Eset - C:\Program Files\Eset\nod32krn.exe
    O23 - Service: FireDaemon Service: winsecure (winsecure) - Sublime Solutions Pty Ltd - C:\WINDOWS\security\FireDaemon.exe

You still have spyware-adware.
    use hjt to Fix:

O20 - Winlogon Notify: WRNotifier - WRLogonNTF.dll (file missing)

These items are unnecesary:

LRH

aloha..

hey norton isnt bad.. for his machine with that configuretion perfect

if u say its bad and take a lot of resurses it maneas that your computer is lower then 1,5 Ghz and 128 Ram

ok... try first some program to search for problems like:

Norton System Works -- BEST OF THE BEST OF THE BEST

and

Fix IT Utilities -- also very good

desfragmenting worth a try.. but 90% that isn't the trouble

what could slow down your compuer is

1. Partitons - hope you have more then 3 or 4 partitons

2. missing windows files
    3. corrupted files 2 and 3 can be fixed with Norton system works

4 ??? one question!! what simptomes does you`re computer have??

long long time until an execute?
    mouse blocking??
    system not responding??
    always when trying to repair somethink whatch it how it behaves when it behaves like that

5. be aware if u have another antivirus instaled same time with Norton or 2 antivirus in the same time
    it could slow down even crush you`re computer because they will fight on a files who to scan first

6. like the first one said it could be a adware spyware or trojan

7. u could run it in safe mode and see if there is slow too, if yes it`s a windows system error, or coruppted file missing or anthing and the OS must be reinstalled

8. I suggest before trying to repair it , install norton GoBAck, it helps a lots
    so u have the chance to go back in time

question :

Before logiing in or run any program does is he slow?? i mean thakes a long time until the windows is loading??

I would advise you of this: zapacila's advice is very bad. Your operating system is not corrupt, and you are wasting your time installing GoBack or any third party recovery program when there is one built directly into Windows XP called System Restore.

Having two antivirus programs is not a bad thing at all, so long as one's realtime scan is turned off. Then there are no contention problems.

Pay attention to what TonyT and YeOldStoneCat tell you. They know what they're talking about.

hey hey

first like u said :2 antivirus no problem IF u turn off a nother, but ehat if he didnt do that eh???

doesnt matter tonyt is right

thanks for the help tonyt and others who may have helped along the way

Quote Originally Posted by zapacila
    Norton System Works -- BEST OF THE BEST OF THE BEST
    ?
    Yeah, at helping your computer move towards the dumpster. Or....letting virii, worms, and trojans into the system.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

why do you say that yeoldstonecat