Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 50 of 50

Thread: What can i do

  1. #41
    Moderator YeOldeStonecat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Posts
    50,877
    Quote Originally Posted by Blingz
    why do you say that yeoldstonecat
    Because I've been a small business network consultant for many many years...even doing quite a few larger schoolwide and enterprise networks. It's a huge case of "been there, done that". Having worked with I'd say 90% of the major antivirus brands out there, and even quite a few of the "less known" brands, ...in many diffferent situations.

    There are the "test labs" out there which compare antivirus programs, then there is the "real world"...which is the one I get to work in every single day. I get to sit down with all sorts of various hardware configurations, mixtures of operating systems, various levels of "health" of the computer, different users, all in all, just totally different scenarios...and that's where the REAL test of antivirus software is. Symantec Antivirus 2001 was the last Symantec home user product I liked. That was way before ad/spy/malware/downloader trojans hit the scene. Since then....their home consumer products have gotten increasingly bloated year by year...slowing down systems, and I have seen many many sitations where it's let bad stuff in to infect the system.

    I use NOD32 mostly exclusively for almost 2 years now. I can't count the number of times I've replaced McAfee, and Symantec products, with NOD32...and pretty darned near within hours NOD32 is picking up "bad stuff" through it's real time protection...not to mention after doing a full system scan.

    Symantec Corporate Edition/Small Business Edition was pretty decent, up until this past winter when version 10 came out. I'd done dozens and dozens and dozens of business networks with that product...had been using it for many years, going back to ..oh...can't remember...something like version 5.0. It also now has joined the ranks of "bloated and slowing down systems" with version 10.

    On the performance side....I've heard many times from clients how their systems really slowed down since the last time they went and upgraded to the latest Symantec or McAfee. And boy what a smile on their face after sitting down at their systems after I remove that stuff, and put on NOD32. They're like "Wow...it's fast again!"
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

  2. #42
    Elite Member TonyT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    10,336
    It really is a shame that as hardware efficiency increases, the software sometimes gets less efficient. I believe it is due to "lazy programming" where the coder just bangs out code to quickly get a finished product and cares not about performance hits because he says to himself, "these newer systems can handle it". Yep, they can handle it IF the only program running is one of those bloated software apps!
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

    LRH

  3. #43
    SG Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    4,717
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyT
    It really is a shame that as hardware efficiency increases, the software sometimes gets less efficient. I believe it is due to "lazy programming" where the coder just bangs out code to quickly get a finished product and cares not about performance hits because he says to himself, "these newer systems can handle it". Yep, they can handle it IF the only program running is one of those bloated software apps!
    It's moore's law in reverse - sw always gets more complicated and bloated. Adding new features that weren't part of the original design/architecture after the fatct - you either do it ineffeciently or your redesign your app - which kills your time-to-market. All this and you are also dealing with a publicly held company that needs to report positive results every three months...
    anything is possible - nothing is free


    Quote Originally Posted by Blisster
    It *would* be brokeback bay if I in fact went and hung out with Skye and co (did I mention he is teh hotness?)

  4. #44
    SG DC Team Member Paft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    5,736
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyT
    It really is a shame that as hardware efficiency increases, the software sometimes gets less efficient. I believe it is due to "lazy programming" where the coder just bangs out code to quickly get a finished product and cares not about performance hits because he says to himself, "these newer systems can handle it". Yep, they can handle it IF the only program running is one of those bloated software apps!
    Part of /that/ is that more and more developers are getting compilers that have nifty built-in resource editors that write half the code for us.. and that half is crappy.. plus a good two-thirds of what we write is crappy..

  5. #45
    SG Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    4,717
    Quote Originally Posted by Paft
    Part of /that/ is that more and more developers are getting compilers that have nifty built-in resource editors that write half the code for us.. and that half is crappy.. plus a good two-thirds of what we write is crappy..
    Good point - unless you are writing at pure C or lower (ug, machine code) you only have so much control over resource mgmt.
    anything is possible - nothing is free


    Quote Originally Posted by Blisster
    It *would* be brokeback bay if I in fact went and hung out with Skye and co (did I mention he is teh hotness?)

  6. #46
    SG DC Team Member Paft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    5,736
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberskye
    Good point - unless you are writing at pure C or lower (ug, machine code) you only have so much control over resource mgmt.
    Well, not even that. I just mean that, for example, using Microsoft Visual Studio, they write an MFC for application programmers. That is bloated as hell, but lets programmers roll stuff out quickly.

    You could use the API, sure.. but programmers are lazy. Ya know?

  7. #47
    SG Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    4,717
    Quote Originally Posted by Paft
    Well, not even that. I just mean that, for example, using Microsoft Visual Studio, they write an MFC for application programmers. That is bloated as hell, but lets programmers roll stuff out quickly.

    You could use the API, sure.. but programmers are lazy. Ya know?

    Real programmers don't code for windows - we farm that out to east europe or India

    Seriously, though, I just meant (more or less) what you said: relying too much on tools kills efficiency. In webdev, Dreamweaver is till champ - but you end up with SOOOOOOO much useless crap...good thing that plain text doesn't weigh much

    Play much with java?
    anything is possible - nothing is free


    Quote Originally Posted by Blisster
    It *would* be brokeback bay if I in fact went and hung out with Skye and co (did I mention he is teh hotness?)

  8. #48
    SG DC Team Member Paft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    5,736
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberskye
    Real programmers don't code for windows - we farm that out to east europe or India

    Seriously, though, I just meant (more or less) what you said: relying too much on tools kills efficiency. In webdev, Dreamweaver is till champ - but you end up with SOOOOOOO much useless crap...good thing that plain text doesn't weigh much

    Play much with java?
    I run away from Java as fast as I can. I hate the language, hate the VM, hate every single thing about that piece of garbage "programming language".

    It's slow, bloated, impossible to write an efficient program in..

  9. #49
    SG Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    4,717
    Quote Originally Posted by Paft
    I run away from Java as fast as I can. I hate the language, hate the VM, hate every single thing about that piece of garbage "programming language".

    It's slow, bloated, impossible to write an efficient program in..
    The MS VM blew - though that was intentional to promote their own framework. Granted the Sun VM has all the disadvantages you mention. But the portability and ease of use in building PORTABLE UI's is pretty cool (swing).

    C / C++ on the server, java on the desktop
    anything is possible - nothing is free


    Quote Originally Posted by Blisster
    It *would* be brokeback bay if I in fact went and hung out with Skye and co (did I mention he is teh hotness?)

  10. #50
    Elite Member TonyT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    10,336
    another part of the program problem is many developers do no use OO method, so when they add to the existing app it breaks earlier code, and then they have to write code on top of that to correct the breaks. That's often why you see beta1, beta2, beta3, beta4, and so on. One or two betas is all there needs to be. 9unless of course you have 20 developers contributing to one project)

    java on servers (jsp) is pretty quick and is the most secure, but I too stay away from any java.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

    LRH

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •