Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What can i do

Nvm

NVM
    Last edited by Blingz; 11-17-05 at 06:47 AM. Reason: NVM

Jen's Best Friend RoscoPColtrane's Avatar
    what kinda firewall are you running with it? Do you use antivirus? How about adaware or spybot? Get a good defragger for those bigger proggrams. All in all you have to maintain a computer just like anything else. I usually hit up all of the following at least once a week. Sometimes when an update comes out i will notice a difference after i run it. If you aren't doing this then it is probobly your problem!

If all else fails back up your programs and music and reformat!
    ****************************************************************************************
    Abit NF7-S 2.0, Barton 2500+ @ 2.2 Ghz, 2 Gig ddr3200, 80gig Seagate HDD, ATI x850 PRO @ 550/600, WinXP Pro

J B K M

Pittsburgh Steelers Super Bowl XL Champions!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Blingz
    i have a
    intel 2.8ghz ht
    1 gig ram
    external 250 gig harddrive

I Am Running XP Home, With 30 gig of music, lots of big programs
    And my computer runs really slow.

Is there ne pointers n e one can share with me.
    Or is it time for a upgrade.
    if i need a upgrade feel free to guide me

Appreciate n e Thoughts

Well for starters I see you say your computer is running real slow.. so that tells me its not your internet connection that is a issue however if you do have that issue please include connection type and what your told you should get as in speeds. To increase comp speeds I would say get you a Internal HD such as a Western Digital Raptor 10K drive..they are super fast! Also is 1 gig the most you can put in that computer? perhaps adding more ram will help. What about video card and audio card? If you are using onboard video and audio that is pulling down resources from the CPU..so look at that also. When was last time you took it apart and sprayed it out for dust? lol I know this sounds strange but that will slow down a computer also from heat and static!

ok i have norton antivirus 05
    and ad-aware pro i run them at least once a week

i have dsl but it is only 512kbps i have one slot free for ram

should i be able to play music on my computer without it skiping and **** or is that just from my sound card (soundblaster live)

does a internal hard drive have ne difference from a ext

and i have noticed that if i have my computer on for like 5 hours then go to use it it will be really really slow and the mouse will flikker and jsut play up a lot. but then it will be all good on a restart

Norton is a resource hog....there are many here that won't use that program for that reason ...

AVG antivirus is a free antivirus program that uses far less resources than Norton

Have you run regular maintenence ?.. cleaning out temp files, defragging ?

Digital music skipping ??...hmm bad file?, card ?,improper connection settings??
    does it do this for all music files or just a few ?

as far as overall performance ..if you are running multiple apps at the same time you really need more RAM to handle all of that

Adaware is just one of many spyware/adware programs and each has there own definition list ..i'd scan with multiple programs like adaware AND MS Antispyware, Spybot ... and see what you find ..

im sure others will chime in also

with the music it is all of it

and you r saying get rid of norton and get avg
    does this avg do the same kind of things as norton
    does it have auto-protect. Does it protect you from worms and trojans and other nastys

with the music it is all of it

and you r saying get rid of norton and get avg
    does this avg do the same kind of things as norton
    does it have auto-protect. Does it protect you from worms and trojans and other nastys

I'm saying it's an option ..AVG provides all the same services with the exception of a few but uses far less system resources

Many users myself included now swear by NOD32 from Eset for AV protection.
    Respect it.

also, Spysweeper offers a full function 14-day trial version that will clean you out very well. Defragging will make a big difference as well. I dont' think you need to upgrade at this time as your pc looks to be above average. Nothing wrong with Norton AV but as others have said it's a resource hog. With a gig of ram it shouldn't slow you down that much though.
    post a hijackthis log for us to view.
    http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html

what is a hijackthis log

and how do i do it

what is a hijackthis log

and how do i do it

it's a program that will scan your system for adware/spyware...download the program, run the scan ..copy and paste here

just go to the link that i posted and find 'hijack this' and download it. When run the program it will show everything running in the background and make a log for you. Just copy and paste the log information here for us to look at and then we might can help you get rid of the bad stuff.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 6:27:26 PM, on 7/11/2005
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTHELPER.EXE
    C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
    C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_03\bin\jusched.exe
    C:\Program Files\OptusNet DSL Internet\DSC.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\rlvknlg.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\lib\NMBgMonitor.exe
    C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    F:\Programs\LimeWire\LimeWire.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\WINZIP\winzip32.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\Daniel Manson\Local Settings\Temp\HijackThis.exe
    C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://search.optusnet.com.au/?brand=ODSL&panel=1
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://dsl.optusnet.com.au/
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by OptusNet
    O2 - BHO: myBar BHO - {0494D0D1-F8E0-41ad-92A3-14154ECE70AC} - C:\Program Files\MyWay\myBar\1.bin\MYBAR.DLL (file missing)
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
    O2 - BHO: URLLink - {4A2AACF3-ADF6-11D5-98A9-00E018981B9E} - C:\Program Files\NewDotNet\newdotnet6_98.dll
    O2 - BHO: C:\WINDOWS\lbbho.dll - {887AEE41-EA9B-420D-8F15-3E32788DF78A} - C:\WINDOWS\lbbho.dll
    O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: My &Search Bar - {0494D0D9-F8E0-41ad-92A3-14154ECE70AC} - C:\Program Files\MyWay\myBar\1.bin\MYBAR.DLL (file missing)
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WINDVDPatch] CTHELPER.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdReg] C:\WINDOWS\UpdReg.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Jet Detection] "C:\Program Files\Creative\SBLive\PROGRAM\ADGJDet.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTStartup] C:\Program Files\Creative\Splash Screen\CTEaxSpl.EXE /run
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_03\bin\jusched.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Desktop Service Centre] C:\Program Files\OptusNet DSL Internet\DSC.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SiSPower] Rundll32.exe SiSPower.dll,ModeAgent
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe /Consumer
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [New.net Startup] rundll32 C:\PROGRA~1\NEWDOT~1\NEWDOT~2.DLL,ClientStartup -s
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OSS] C:\WINDOWS\system32\rlvknlg.exe -boot
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [BgMonitor_{79662E04-7C6C-4d9f-84C7-88D8A56B10AA}] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\lib\NMBgMonitor.exe"
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O10 - Hijacked Internet access by New.Net
    O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
    O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://dsl.optusnet.com.au/
    O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
    O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
    O23 - Service: iPodService - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Firewall Monitor Service (NPFMntor) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
    O23 - Service: SAVScan - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
    O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec SPBBCSvc (SPBBCSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: FireDaemon Service: winsecure (winsecure) - Sublime Solutions Pty Ltd - C:\WINDOWS\security\FireDaemon.exe

could my music be skiping becuase of my sound card.
    i was thinking about geting X-Fi™ Fatal1ty with its own 64 meg of ram

would this slow my computer down more or be the same as my
    SB live card

please help me

could my music be skiping becuase of my sound card.
    i was thinking about geting X-Fi™ Fatal1ty with its own 64 meg of ram

would this slow my computer down more or be the same as my
    SB live card

please help me

could be ...i'm thinking it's more corrupt files than that though.

I see many things wrong in the hjack this log but i'll leave it to the experts to tell you

none of my music is corrupt they r all ripped of prorper cd's
    and it works fine on my iPod

Went through your hijack this and these need to be dealt with:
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [New.net Startup] rundll32 C:\PROGRA~1\NEWDOT~1\NEWDOT~2.DLL,ClientStartup -s
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OSS] C:\WINDOWS\system32\rlvknlg.exe -boot
    O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll

I highly recommend getting the trial version of spysweeper from downloads.com to get rid of what adaware and spybot did not clean.

The following processes should not run full time:
    F:\Programs\LimeWire\LimeWire.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\WINZIP\winzip32.exe

Limewire is quite a resource hog and if you are downloading with it then you computer will be sluggish.

r there n e other programs that you can surgest
    other than limewire because most of the other ones i have tried arnt all that great

if you were in my shoes exactly what would you do to fix this problem

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Moving this to software forum, as it's not a hardware issue.

Now you see that some bad stuff makes it past Symantec. Besides being a resource pig that will slow even the mightiest of systems to a glacial pace...bad stuff gets past it.

I suggest getting a quality antivirus prorgram that does not bog down your PC. The two best out there, cost money, Kapersky..and NOD32. I prefer NOD32 myself, it's darned close to Kapersky in detection rates, but it's a heck of a lot lighter. To Kaperskys credit...recent versions have lightened up, some older versions were known to slow systems to a crawl. Either way...those two AV products are miles above the rest in detection abilities....not only in viruses/worms, but in ad/spy/malware/trojans...which many other AV products don't bother with yet.

If you don't want to pay for an antivirus, there is AVG, Avast, CA EZTrust amongst some others. Of the 3, much as I didn't like CA products in their past, their current freebie of EZTrust is pretty lightweight, and pretty good in detection rates. Can download for free at Microsoft. Avast is very good in detection rates...but it noticably slows down your computer a bit...especially bootup times. AVG...I used to like it with version 6, but current version 7...the scans got painfully slow, and I've seen too much stuff get past it lately...it's medium weight as far as if it slows your system down or not...but based on what I've seen...average in detection. (I'm spoiled by NOD32).

When uninstalling Symantec...make sure after doing the add/remove programs, getting ALL traces of Norton/Symantec off (including live update, and the 2 or 3 other things it puts in there)...download and run the latest SymNRT (Symantec/Norton Removal Tool)..to get the traces that the Windows Installer Service doesn't remove.

I see you have New.Net. That's a bad one..really bad...it infects your winsock/tcp stack. Improper removal WILL RENDER YOUR COMPUTER UNABLE TO GET ONLINE. But you can fix that...if you are prepared. But you MUST remove it. First...before you attempt to remove anything...download this WinXP tcp/winsock repair utility and save it to your local hard drive, and a USB thumb drive for backup.
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/N...nSockFix.shtml

Run it first. Keep it handy if you lose internet access, can run it again afterwards.

Download all your other tools ahead of time, to your local hard drive. Install them all, update them all...then once that's done...once all of them are installed and updated...then begin the removal process.

CrapCleaner (ccleaner)...install, clean out computer with it (gets rid of a LOT of junk)
    Spybot Search and Destroy...install, update, immunize, scan and remove
    Lavasofts Adaware..install, update, scan
    Microsofts Antispyware, install, update, scan, use advanced options system explorers to check and remove bad BHOs, LSPs, browser toolbars, and make sure you check your hosts file..should be clean, only having local host 127.0.0.1
    SpySweeper free trial, install, update, remove...let it run for a few days, then uninstall it. The "live real time" protection is annoying, disable that...just use it for several scans.
    SpywareBlaster...install, update, protect. Not a removal tool..but more of a "condom" for your browser.
    If using Internet Explorer, install the Google Toolbar.
    Also consider an alternate browser, I prefer Opera...used to use Firefox, but find Opera much faster, and has some cool features.
    Online scan at www.antivirus.com which redirects you to Trend Micro, look for the "House Call" free online scan
    Online scan at Kapersky.com....using extended database

mnosteele has some links to where to get these apps in one of his replies in this thread...
    http://forums.speedguide.net/showthread.php?t=187932

Run several scans from each package, including doing it in safe mode, and running these scans over a couple of days in a row.

I see you use some P2P programs like Limewire. Using those, you'll be inviting trouble into your computer on a daily basis. Not only are most of those P2P programs stuffed full of ad/spy/malware/trojans when you install them, but even the very few that are not...moral issue aside of pirating, you're falsely under the assumption that "stuff" that you are downloading is actually "clean". You know how many 'tards out there alter the content of these downloads, offer them on these P2P services, then when people go download this stuff, they "think" they're only installing some cracked copy of Adobe Photoshop, or whatever...but it's been repackaged with a special hidden payload that hoses your system. Or many of the songs out there, the music files have a neat little surprise tucked inside of them.

Based on this Hijack entry...
    C:\Program Files\OptusNet DSL Internet\DSC.exe
    I take it your computer is plugged directly into your broadband modem? And not plugged into a router which would provide a hardware firewall?
    Being plugged directly into the internet...ACK! I always insist on hiding behind a NAT router.

After cleaning up the system, I would run CCleaner again...then run a defrag. Your hardware specs are fine, a 2.8 with a gig of RAM, that's plenty of horsepower. First though, lets get your system cleaned out...I think you'll find she runs substantially better once all the ad/spyware and trojans are off of your computer.

The hardware on your computer is fine.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!