Thread: Wired to wireless issues

Wired to wireless issues

Hi all, need a little advice from you tech gurus.

This is the setup at the moment.

Have a Windows 2003 Server with 2 nics

1 nic is connected to a 3com officeconnect wireless ADSL router with an IP of 192.168.1.2
    the other (IP 192.168.0.1) is connected to an old hub which serves the wired network.
    DHCP and DNS are both active on the server and RRAS shares the WAN connection.

Now the internal network works as it should and all pcs receive their IPs by DHCP.

I have a wireless laptop with an IP of 192.168.1.3 which is served by the wireless adsl routers DHCP and am able to access the internet fine.

You probably guessed the next question!

How can I allow the wireless laptop to access my internal network as if it was on the network? i.e. file and printer sharing, exchange etc..

Before the upgrade to 2003 I was able to access the server but now I can't get a thing.

Any ideas? your assistance would be gratefully received.

Matt

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Well...to pursue your goal here....might I suggest taking the approach first of running a single homed network?

I've only done multi-homed servers when running either RRAS/SecureNAT or ISA Server..., or having an multi-homed Exchange box with the external NIC on a pub IP unbound from network services, only there for SMTP and OWA.

Kill DHCP on the router, have your server run DHCP as it should, a setup like this...
    http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=1660

Just a suggestion to "keep it simple"...unless you have other reasons for running multi-homed..we can chase it down then.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I've checked out the link you provided. I'm fairly new to all this so excuse me if I'm wrong.

The network was in place before I came to take it over and worked fine. The server controlled DHCP and DNS, all was good in Gatesland. Then I added a wireless ADSL router instead of the standard adsl router that was shared by the server and again all worked fine until I added a wireless laptop into the mix.

Are you saying that I need to disable the DHCP on the wireless router and change the router IP from the default 192.168.1.1 to the same as my local network namely 192.168.0. (say 100)? Theroetically, you'd expect it to work but when I do that and change the static IP on the nic that is attached to the router, all computers on the network loose internet access apart from the server. I've got a feeling dns is to blame here but would prefer a step by step solution before I start playing with DNS.

Basically what I want to know is this -

What is the best way to add this wireless ADSL router to my DC based network?

I really appreciate any help. I know this sort of stuff costs money and find it amazing that people are willing to give their advice freely.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by anubis666
    What is the best way to add this wireless ADSL router to my DC based network?

I really appreciate any help. I know this sort of stuff costs money and find it amazing that people are willing to give their advice freely.

Matt
    That's pretty much the setup I have right here in my house....I have a Small Business Server 2003 that runs DHCP, DNS, MS Exchange, yada yada.

I often change the configuration to "learn and dork around"...sometimes running it without a router, just using 2x NICs and ISA. Other times I change it to single NIC, behind various routers I pickup and fiddle with.

Currently, I run my server single homed, behind a NAT router. Also slung off of the network I've been dorking around with a Belkin G wireless router. I have the Belkin flipped to "access point/repeater" mode, instead of "router mode".

Your issue, the fact that your wireless laptop cannot access your internal LAN, is because your laptop is picking up DHCP from the wireless laptop, which is really your ISP's 2x DNS servers. Those DNS servers know nothing about your "Gatesland.local" active directory.

As my article I linked above mentioned....DNS is very important in 2K and higher domains (active directory).

You could "edit" your routers DHCP to hand out your servers IP as the DNS server...but I don't know if your WAN NIC on the server has networking services bound to it. Usually you don't on the WAN NIC. Perhaps you did have it enabled on the WAN NIC of your 2K server...but when upgrading to 2K3...you ran the ICS wizard which probably disabled networking services from the WAN NIC, and fired up the firewall. (similar to WinXP's ICS)

Now here's where things can take different paths, with mixed results. I see this "question/problem" posted all the time in forums...

...someone will post..."I have an existing router, and I went out and bought a wireless router...I added it to my network..how to I make it work?"

Most of the time, people will take their wireless router, uplink the WAN port to a LAN port of their existing router. That may, or may not, work.

My initial response is "Why don't you replace your existing router with your new wireless router". But sometimes I can see where the main router is in an isolated area, and they want their wireless router to provide wireless at the other end of the house.

So....my next response is "Well, get an access point instead of a router". However, since you have the equipment, you can still make it work. The "bandaid fix" if you have 2x routers...is to take the LAN IP of the wireless router, make it on the same scope as the LAN side of your wired router...just on a different IP. Example, your main router is 192.168.0.1...make your wireless routers LAN IP something like 192.168.0.2, or 192.168.0.253. Make sure DHCP is disabled on the wireless router. In your case, on your wired router too...remember, you don't want to mix DHCP services, you only want one DHCP service to run on a network (except in the case of active directory with multiple servers...but that's outside this posts issue).

You then take a LAN port on your wireless router, and uplink it to a LAN port of your wired router. What you're doing now is using your router as an access point, you're physically bypassing the "router" part....which is using the WAN port.

So anyways, what I've done on my internal network....
    Router LAN IP, 192.168.9.1, DHCP disabled on the router
    SBS2K3 server IP 192.168.9.11, running DHCP as per my linked article, DNS, WINS, etc etc
    Belkin G router, changed to access point/repeater mode in the firmware, uplinked to my main router via the LAN ports of each, LAN IP is 192.168.9.153, DHCP is disabled.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

The setup at the moment is this.

Wireless ADSL router (192.168.1.1) <----->nic1 in SERVER (192.168.1.2)<----

--->nic2 in SERVER (192.168.0.1) <------> HUB <-----> PC's Served by SERVER DHCP & DNS

RRAS is sharing the internet connection for the LAN

There is no other router so everything should be simple.

The problem I'm getting is that when I change the IP of the router to the same subnet as the rest of the network the internet connection dies for anything other than the server.

Your setup sounds very similar to mine. Do you have 2 nics in your server? If not how is yours setup to share the connection.

Thanks
    Matt

I'm running 1x NIC for this setup, noted above, 192.168.9.11 is the server on my setup.

If you change the IP of your router to the same scope as your LAN, you'll have to edit DHCP also, and yank the unused NIC on your server, as your servers DHCP is giving out other (now stale) info for the gateway.

I'd probably disable the NIC1 on the server, the one that's 192.168.1.2
    Change NIC2 on the server to something like 192.168.0.2 or whatever
    Make your wireless routers LAN IP 192.168.0.1, disable DHCP on the router
    Make sure the server looks at itself in TCP properties for DNS, and has the routers LAN IP as its gateway.
    Make sure your server DHCP hands out the correct gateway, which would be the router now...192.168.0.1, and your servers LAN IP for DNS, 192.168.0.2.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

OK, this is making much more sense to me.

Following your instructions I'd have a cable from the hub with nowhere to go. I guess I'd connect this to the router and switch the hub port to uplink? I also have DNS being obtained from the ISP set on the router. Just came accross it. I guess I should put the server dns address in here?

Thanks again!!

Matt

3COM wireless router
    Into the 4x LAN ports...you'd have your server, workstations, and if you need more...use the 4th port to uplink to your hub or switch...into which you'd plug your other computers into.

You'll run DHCP from your server, just disable DHCP on your router...you don't need to edit DHCP on the router because you're using your servers DHCP.

Setup the servers DHCP as I have outlined in my article
    Setup your servers TCP/IP as I have outlined in my article
    Setup your servers DNS as I have outlined in my article
    (obviously subsitute your IP range if it differs from mine in the article)
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Thanks ever so much!

As always I was looking for the most difficult solution when it was actually quite simple. It's all working as it should be now!

Thanks Again
    Matt

Glad to hear....any other issues, post here. I'm somewhat scarce this week...so if I don't get back to you right away, I'll get to it.
    Guinness for Strength!!!