Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you buy copy-protected CD's, you may have installed a ROOTKIT on your computer!!!!

If you buy copy-protected CD's, you may have installed a ROOTKIT on your computer!!!!

Courtesy of Sony. This pissed me off just reading it and there's NO WAY now that I'm ever going to buy a Sony copy-protected CD.

Article from Sysinternals.com, a reliable source, and also the creators of ROOTKIT REVEALER, which everyone should have:

http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/200...al-rights.html

Unbelievable!!

wow ...Amazing..we get **** on more and more everyday
    SG Pimp Name : *Treacherous P. Shizzle*
    The fight for our way of life needs to be fought on our own soil, for our own people and because of our own interests.
    Hey, If Me & My Buddies Were Making Billions of Dollars I'd Tell Ya What Ya Wanted To Hear Too!

buy a CD ?

Quote Originally Posted by mountainman
    buy a CD ?
    Yeah you know, get in the plane, travel across the country, go to a music store and actually purchase a CD.

With iTunes and Napster and such, not fun anymore to buy a CD for a couple good songs anymore.

Honestly, I don't think there is anything new recordings at the moment that I'm even remotely interested in listening too.

I'm glad that's settled. Now on with the topic at hand.

Even more interesting is the forenzic work performed to reveal the rootkit and how it works. I'll be re-reading that article a few times and noting the apps used as well.

Thanks Ghost, nice find

Quote Originally Posted by Norm
    Even more interesting is the forenzic work performed to reveal the rootkit and how it works. I'll be re-reading that article a few times and noting the apps used as well.

Thanks Ghost, nice find
    You're welcome. That guy did a nice job with his detective work, I learned a few things.

Nuts to Sony.

I've recommended for years now, to stay away from most of their electronics.

After the hi rez format wars (brought on by Sony) have crippled that effort, and given that Blu Ray vs HD-DVD is slowing down that part of the industry, I at a place where I don't know what to think of this company.

The bad news is...that they have a ton of artists on their label.

By a downloaded file? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by ghost
    You're welcome. That guy did a nice job with his detective work, I learned a few things.
    He's very talented, wrote some of the apps himself too.

Ghost, you have all the tools <wink><wink>4nzx

I thought that I had posted some info on rootkits a while back, but I couldn't locate it...

I did find another Ghost thread in ref to the MS root kit revealer...

http://forums.speedguide.net/showthr...hlight=rootkit

Keep in mind that MS, Intel, HP and I forget the others, are in an alliance that is backing these type of things...
    I will try to locate some more info on it...

Thanks Ghost!

I'm glad that's settled. Now on with the topic at hand.
    Who's off topic?

Yes, this is BS which is why I'll never buy a CD again.

Front page news....

I hope SI gets this working for 64bit systems.

Folding with AMD POWER Loonatic's Avatar
    Lame...
    Pain is weakness leaving the body.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by downhill
    Nuts to Sony.

I've recommended for years now, to stay away from most of their electronics.

After the hi rez format wars (brought on by Sony) have crippled that effort, and given that Blu Ray vs HD-DVD is slowing down that part of the industry, I at a place where I don't know what to think of this company.

The bad news is...that they have a ton of artists on their label.

By a downloaded file? LOL
    They do make great televisions, but have been thoroughly maddening with proprietary formats.

Root Kit? <checks tool box>

Hell_Yes

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    I'm not sure on my view of Rootkits yet. I think they're getting overhyped, kinda like what happened to cookies. I can see legitimate uses, such as the intention Sony is doing here, and naturally there are misuses for them too, such as ad/spy/malware. The mistake Sony made here is nothing is mentioned in the EULA, if they had mentioned it, I'd be fine with it...as I support copyright protection. But I maintain the media is overhyping rootkits.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
    I'm not sure on my view of Rootkits yet. I think they're getting overhyped, kinda like what happened to cookies. I can see legitimate uses, such as the intention Sony is doing here, and naturally there are misuses for them too, such as ad/spy/malware. The mistake Sony made here is nothing is mentioned in the EULA, if they had mentioned it, I'd be fine with it...as I support copyright protection. But I maintain the media is overhyping rootkits.
    Try working at a university. You will find them, as we have. The fix is totally wiping the hard drive and starting over, it's the worst kind of "infection" you can imagine.

It is the next Worst Thing and you'll see more and more of them, just wait and see. This is no Chicken Little thing.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Try working at a university. You will find them, as we have. The fix is totally wiping the hard drive and starting over, it's the worst kind of "infection" you can imagine.

It is the next Worst Thing and you'll see more and more of them, just wait and see. This is no Chicken Little thing.
    The "malware ones"...yes, similar to malware today, getting increasingly hard to fix. But it's just another "means" that it gets on your system, and my point is, not 100% of Rootkits will be bad. Similar to say..Active X, or Cookies, or windows registry....it's just another means, just another way...can be good, or bad. But step up to 10,000 feet and take a look at what they really are..it's just another means of hiding files. It's the way it's used...that can be harmless (such as the intention Sony had with copyright protection), or bad (malware).

Things are getting more complicated...including the OS. Gone are the easy days of repairing DOS in a few minutes, or even Win98 with scanreg /restore. NT is more difficult to work on...now we have x64, IPv6, things are getting harder.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!