Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Win2k check this config out

dannjr

Thanks tharris
    Again for the hours of help with this...

remember that the @home patch will not work in all area's esp. where it has been deployed on most of the computers. There's a artical about that somewhere at Speedcorp.

emixnem
    Email me lets see if we can get a fix on the real problem... I have been following your problem from the start...

Originally posted by emixnem:
    hey dannjr ,
    you got some updated tweaks for Windows Me ???????
    please reply

------------------
    dannjr@microsyspro.com
    Microsystems
    THE WORLDS THINNEST BOOK: THINGS I CAN'T BUY By Bill Gates

dannjr

Updated the web site a little today to make it easier to get to the files

made a small change in some of the files nothing drastic I will be making some other changes soon so look for them

emixnem

sup danny !!!
    neways...do u hav nethang for WindowsMe ???
    u told me to email u but i dont even know ur e-addy...so please reply wit updated tweaks..so i can get my download speed up !!!
    like some peeps here ...they say ur stuff works....so make mine work too..hehehe

dannjr

If your email was working it would probably be fixed by now. hotmails only been working half the time today
    look on the bottem of this then email me the info....
    Programs
    OS thats running now
    hardware list
    connection software
    which modem(speed stream router)

dannjr@microsyspro.com

Originally posted by emixnem:
    sup danny !!!
    neways...do u hav nethang for WindowsMe ???
    u told me to email u but i dont even know ur e-addy...so please reply wit updated tweaks..so i can get my download speed up !!!
    like some peeps here ...they say ur stuff works....so make mine work too..hehehe

------------------
    dannjr@microsyspro.com
    Microsystems

Merc

Yo Dannjr you have a new patch for me yet. By the way email me some prices u should have got my email with what i am looking for.

Punisher 456

Hay can yal help me out, i installed the speed guide win 2k patch, and noticed a increase in speed and im running Road runner service, with a 384 kbit up and 2 mbit down limit, just wanted to know where in registry is Mtu entry and the entry for more connections at a time for IE 5.5, cause i would love more connections at once when visiting web sites, thx
    cause i see up in this thread entries but to where?

------------------
    Punisher 456

[This message has been edited by Punisher 456 (edited 11-01-2000).]

dannjr

Heres the location

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters]

"MTU"=dword:000005d8
    "MaxConnections"=dword:00000000

MaxConnections and setting it to "0" makes it get the maximum amount

The object of this patch was not just to get you more speed but to help lower ping and by using "TcpRecvSegmentSize" with this "TcpSendSegmentSize" also makes a difference I can't help in changing you cap but this patch by itself will acomplish what your looking for.

That sample at th beginning of the thread has most of what you see but a couple of enties go download the patch and right click on it to edit it...

If you give it a try and you don't like what you see just rip it out with the return to default file

Also you can put in the speedguides Web patch it will increase the amount for you browser

I hope this helped...
    Oh, one last thing if your worried about the speedguide patch it was built to be able to overwrite the same entries so you should not end up with a problem...Our settings are the same except fo the extra settings...

Dan

Originally posted by Punisher 456:
    Hay can yal help me out, i installed the speed guide win 2k patch, and noticed a increase in speed and im running Road runner service, with a 384 kbit up and 2 mbit down limit, just wanted to know where in registry is Mtu entry and the entry for more connections at a time for IE 5.5, cause i would love more connections at once when visiting web sites, thx

------------------
    dannjr@microsyspro.com
    Microsystems

Mystic

Originally posted by dannjr:
    Heres the location

"MTU"=dword:000005d8

MaxConnections and setting it to "0" makes it get the maximum amount

The object of this patch was not just to get you more speed but to help lower ping and by using "TcpRecvSegmentSize" with this "TcpSendSegmentSize" also makes a difference I can't help in changing you cap but this patch by itself will acomplish what your looking for.

That sample at th beginning of the thread has most of what you see but a couple of enties go download the patch and right click on it to edit it...

If you give it a try and you don't like what you see just rip it out with the return to default file

Also you can put in the speedguides Web patch it will increase the amount for you browser

I hope this helped...
    Oh, one last thing if your worried about the speedguide patch it was built to be able to overwrite the same entries so you should not end up with a problem...Our settings are the same except fo the extra settings...

Dan

Danny;
    I'm new to all this so excuse me for being dumb but how come at:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/wi...innt/S7BFF.HTM

there is no mention of a MaxConnections setting for NT/win2K. Are you thinking of the win2000 / NT equivelant of TcpNumConnections?

I tried the MaxConnections setting with win2000 and saw no result from it at all. Your supposed to set it to "0" ,,,right?

dannjr

MaxConnections REG_DWORD 0 or 1

Specifies the maximum number of simultaneous clients the server will service. This value may be set to 0 if there is to be no limit on simultaneous clients.

Default: 20

Thats it word for word but give me till tomorrow I think we are on to somthing for cable... If it works out good after the tests I will have a whole new set that may prove very interesting to say the least...

Also remember that Win2k has to update the other
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\Tcpip\Parameters]

and ControlSet001 for anything to take effect restart the computer a couple of times
    and most of all give me till the latest the day after but I'm sure I should have something sooner than that

This is a big test that we are doing tonight

yes there is a little confusion on that entry
    there is MaxConnections for the 9x and use of it is different in Win2000
    on NT4/NT3 I have to look to make sure the use is correct.

dannjr

This works in Windows 2000 but with that OS you can Double the numbers you say your on RR what if I told you that there are spesific entries for that connection and that you may be able to Double your speed look at this thread at the bottem are the entries just for your ISP

It also has the extra connections your looking for in IE
    http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/008268.html

The following patch increases Web page loading speed, by doubling the number of possible concurrent open connections. For example, imagine a web page has 20 images and some text - in order for your browser to get all these files, it opens 2 or 4 concurrent connections, depending on the Web server. Doubling the number of open connections allows for faster retrieving of the data. Please note that the patch sets some values outside of the HTML specs. If you decide to install it, backup your Registry first. Changes will take effect after you reboot.

SpeedGuide Web Patch (Windows 95/98/98SE)

Sorry I miss understood

Dan

dannjr

Well I think I got the PPPoE for Win2000
    working there are a few things left to do for cable but its been reported that ita up to about 400+ now I'm waiting to see just what the total outcome is going to be

This pic is what I got on the 1.5Mb not MB connection I get from Mindspring/Earthlink
    I did have to get permission to do this.
    I will also list the settings for it in a little bit so if you see a problem with the settings and you have a suggestion please let me know

Remember this is not a cable connection
    Pings before tweak with a bad router on the line had been 125ms after 90ms

------------------
    dannjr@microsyspro.com
    Microsystems
    [This message has been edited by dannjr (edited 11-03-2000).]

dannjr

these are the current settings used for a Windows2000 PPPoE DSL connection pic posted above..
    ISP is Earthlink/Minspring

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

"SackOpts"=dword:00000001
    "TcpWindowSize"=dword:0000faf0
    "Tcp1323Opts"=dword:00000003
    "DefaultTTL"=dword:00000075
    "EnablePMTUBHDetect"=dword:00000000
    "EnablePMTUDiscovery"=dword:00000001
    "GlobalMaxTcpWindowSize"=dword:0005ac00
    "MTU"=dword:000005d4
    "TcpRecvSegmentSize"=dword:00000590
    "KeepAliveTime"=dword:0015f900
    "BcastQueryTimeout"=dword:000002ee
    "BcastNameQueryCount"=dword:00000001
    "CacheTimeout"=dword:0000ea60
    "Size/Small/Medium/Large"=dword:00000003
    "LargeBufferSize"=dword:00001000
    "TcpSendSegmentSize"=dword:00000218
    "TcpMaxDupAcks"=dword:00000002

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RpcSs]
    "ListenOnInternet"="N"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings]
    "MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server"=dword:00000020
    "MaxConnectionsPerServer"=dword:00000020

I will be posting something about a Cable connection settings for RR also for you to try...

------------------
    dannjr@microsyspro.com
    Microsystems

Punisher 456

Thumbs up

Hay Danny JR thx for the email bro, the posts you and Merc put up worked out great, i hit my cap which is 2 mbits and close to my upload which is 300 kbit not 384, my fault i posted saying it was 384.
    Anyway i have tested it all day and my connection worked out good, but the max connections didnt work out good, you posted to use there web patch, hmm im going to give thata try, but it says its for win 98 and im on NT 5.0. But nothing worth trying, thx guys for the help, oh and one more thing, Im capped so meaning i will never see over 250 kbit bandwith staying at that speed on downloading saying like a 100 megabyte file, cause i see it fly to like 500 peak average speed sometimes, depending on server but then it drops down to like in the 200's, so is my connection correct good?
    thx check back later.

dannjr

Punisher
    Glad it worked out
    If your getting 200KB/sec on the download and your capped to that speed then your a lucky person.
    It woud be nice to get more if you could as far as the web patch if you look at the post right above theres the entry is right there.

Thats the upgrade version for a DSL/PPPoE connection it has a couple of new entrys and the patch has been upgraded on the site with the new stuff it also comes with a return to default file, if it won't work for you or anyone else....

glad its working out
    Dan

Hay Danny JR thx for the email bro, the posts you and Merc put up worked out great, i hit my cap which is 2 mbits and close to my upload which is 300 kbit not 384, my fault i posted saying it was 384.
    Anyway i have tested it all day and my connection worked out good, but the max connections didnt work out good, you posted to use there web patch, hmm im going to give thata try, but it says its for win 98 and im on NT 5.0. But nothing worth trying, thx guys for the help, oh and one more thing, Im capped so meaning i will never see over 250 kbit bandwith staying at that speed on downloading saying like a 100 megabyte file, cause i see it fly to like 500 peak average speed sometimes, depending on server but then it drops down to like in the 200's, so is my connection correct good?
    thx check back later.

------------------
    dannjr@microsyspro.com
    Microsystems

dannjr

Tonight I decided I was going to test out the reliability of the PPPoE/DSL Win2k patch..
    I have been forced into testing real early in the morning due to a router condition that still exsists, out of my control

The test involved Downloading differnt sized files from all over the place Witch meant slow and fast servers..
    The first test was a total of 30 files at 100meg ""average"" Download speed was about 1560.0kbps I really wasnt happy with that.

So I decided to take a closer look at what was going on it turns out that a MTU of 1492 is not proper 1454 should be the size for the MTU...
    I have been setting my MSS or TcpRecvWindowSize to 1412 because it gave me the best results over all but the math has never worked..
    It turns out that 1414 should be the correct number after all...
    the bottem line I made the adjustments including the GlobalTcpWindowSize & TcpWindowSize and cleared the cache/history/temp folders cold booted and ended up with a surprise..
    30 files about 100meg size 1890.0+kbps

Remember this was a test based on fast & slow servers that I Downloaded from at random
    I also went back to get the Download you see above and got it in 2330.0kbps

How I came to the conclusion of the MTU you can see for yourself open up the pppoe adapter properties. The highest the MaxFrameSize is 1454 thats the MTU of the adapter you may be able to get at the most 1482... This may or may not apply to win9x

I'll post the changes later today

dannjr

If your useing the patch for cable with a MTU of 1500 you have two adjustments to make.
    Delete the MTU Value
    set "TcpSendSegmentSize"=dword:00000590 to that size...
    remove the @home patch there is no need for it..
    tharris is using it without the @home patch and getting good results.
    We also found out some interesting stuff about his connection today so I know its working now.
    Well I got to go vote...
    I'll get the rest up here later

------------------
    Chicago Microsystems
    dannjr@microsyspro.com
    THE WORLDS THINNEST BOOK: The Wild Years. by Al Gore

tharris1

Well I have tested every version so far. I have always needed to add the @home patch to get the better download speeds. With the win2k5 I no longer need to include the patch.
    When I test these patches I always go to Microsoft and download the midtown madness demo. It is a 25.8 Meg file, and a way to keep an accurate data on testing. I also go to toast.net and run there speed test.
    Here are the latest test results with win2k5 and no @home patch.

The download from Microsoft:
    Highest was 770kb/sec
    Final 325kb/sec 1min 19sec on a 25.8 meg file

Toast.net speed result:
    573kbps

I also called my provider and they say they cap everyone at 1.5mb

I think we are going in the correct direction so far!!

dannjr

Tharris you think you like it now wait till you look at the patch next...

Anyway I had a chance to work in a orifice today with @home as the connection.. So I took my beast out with me to the site. keep in mind when I say beast the wires get to the door before the case, and my registry has so many holes in it you could sell it as swiss cheese...

I get there with the registry pre-configured with the patch.. It turns out that its a 1.5Mb capped connection that the office has.

I connect up at about 1 m infact here is the results of today..
    http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/008457-2.html

the settup was not what I wanted to see after about an hour I got feed up with the slow surfing and the fact that I could only get 2.0 to 2.5Mb out of this 1.5Mb I should have been happy but I expected more..

So I pulled my settings all the way out and dropped in Mystic's settings alone all by themselves.. (Still with me) I made sure it was set to get my network card and double checked all the settings restarted the machine and surfed it was surprisingly faster surfing and the downloads got better..
    To 2.5Mb most of the time.

But it wasn't stable even after a few re-starts maybe I didnt get the right network card out of the junk box or something..

So I went back in to the reg. and looked and said what if I set it more like what I had, and knowing that not all connections are created equill I combined Mystics setting with the ones I have and got the results you see on the other thread..

I'm doomed to go back there tomorrow to see if I ca get more it was stable at 300KB/sec or 3.0Mb but toward the end of the day the pings started to raise up and you could tell it was getting busy on the line...

There is fine tunning that goes into this don't expect the world out of it right away..
    These patch's don't take right away they have to be restarted. Sometimes it takes several restarts. They have to be tunned to your connection..
    You must backup the registry

Ok when can you look at it. You can't not yet. I still have allot to do. Like make a return to default patch..
    Explain how to get it to the right adapter and be able to remove it... Don't worry it won't be that bad...

In the mean time go do some homework on the registry.. http://www.regedit.com.

Read all of speedguide and speedcorp plus core meltdown there is a lot of good info here, & there... Get familier with mystic's patch there is a lot of things that work in that patch for att@home there incorporated now just not listed yet.

here is a peak at mystics older patch its close to this now.. 600KB/sec on RR.. keep in mind he was already getting 300KB/sec before his patch..
    The one I was on today started out on win98 at 90KB/sec before I tweaked that one..

"CacheTimeout"=dword:0000ea60
    "DefaultTTL"=dword:00000064
    "KeepAliveTime"=dword:000493e0
    "DisableDHCPMediaSense"=dword:00000001
    "GlobalMaxTcpWindowSize"=dword:0003ebc0
    "TcpNumConnections"=dword:00fffffe
    "TcpRecvSegmentSize"=dword:000005b4
    "TcpSendDownMax"=dword:00004000
    "TcpSendSegmentSize"=dword:000005b4
    "TcpWindowSize"=dword:0003ebc0

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings]
    "MaxConnectionsPerServer"=dword:00000064

Dan

------------------
    If your new here. There is good reason to read all of speedguide first!
    An Anagram. PRESIDENT CLINTON of the USA. can be rearranged to read as TO COPULATE HE FINDS INTERNS.
    Chicago Microsystems
    dannjr@microsyspro.com

dannjr

Talk about better uploads I put his together over the past few weeks thanks to a long discussion here with speedy & rmrucker and some help working on this with cablenut today we finaly got the missing key for upload stability and consitant downloads
    You can read more about this patch on this thread. http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/009189.html
    This particular set below is for PPPoE I'll try to have one for cable tomarrow
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

"ArpRetryCount"=dword:00000000
    "DeadGWDetectDefault"=dword:00000001
    "DefaultTTL"=dword:00000040
    "EnableDeadGWDetect"=dword:00000000
    "EnableICMPRedirect"=dword:00000001
    "EnablePMTUBHDetect"=dword:00000000
    "FFPControlFlags"=dword:00000001
    "GlobalMaxTcpWindowSize"=dword:0005ac00
    "NoNameReleaseOnDemand"=dword:00000001
    "SynAttackProtect"=dword:00000001
    "TcpMaxDupAcks"=dword:00000002
    "TcpMaxHalfOpen"=dword:00000100
    "TcpMaxHalfOpenRetried"=dword:00000080
    "TcpWindowSize"=dword:0005ac00
    "TcpSendSegmentSize"=dword00000586
    "TcpRecvSegmentSize"=dword000005a2
    "MTU"=dword:000005ce

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\AFD\Parameters]
    "FastCopyReceiveThreshold"=dword:00000800
    "FastSendDatagramThreshold"=dword:00000800
    "IgnorePushBitOnReceives"=dword:00000001
    "DefaultSendWindow"=dword:0000faf0

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings]
    "MaxConnectionsPerServer"=dword:00000030
    "MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server"=dword:00000030

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings]
    "MaxConnectionsPerServer"=dword:00000030
    "MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server"=dword:00000030
    http://microsyspro.com

------------------
    THE WORLDS THINNEST BOOKS: THINGS I WOULD NOT DO FOR MONEY - by Dennis Rodman
    Chicago Microsystems
    dannjr@microsyspro.com
    Speedguide has a great search engine