Thread: wireless unavailable- can't locate any wireless signal when my wireless router is on?

wireless unavailable- can't locate any wireless signal when my wireless router is on?

I have a Intel(R) PRO / Wireless LAN 2100 3A Mini PC Adapter.

Computer System
    Microsoft Windows XP
    Home Edition
    Version 2002
    Service Pack 1

I am using ADSL 2/2+ Ready Wireless LAN 802.11g 4 Port Ethernet & USB Combo Router.

I can only use ethernet connection but i can't use my wireless connection. There will always be a red cross X at the window start taskbar and when mouse rollover it will popup msg saying wireless connection unavailable. When i right-click it and click view available wireless network with my wireless router on, no connection is available.

Why is that so?
    How to configure my settings?

i am sure the router wireless service is active. I have tried using my dad's laptop and is working absolutely fine. i try to copy paste the info from my dad's laptop to mine, but it seems that my dad has a newer version of windows, because the wireless connection properties has different menus and options. it that because my windows has an older version so i can't use my wireless connection? i don't think so.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    First....get service pack 2 on the machine. For one reason...to secure it a lot better against threats out there, it's simply good practice to keep up with your windows updates. The second main reason...SP2 greatly enhanced the wireless configuration utility built within WinXP. As you noticed, your dads laptop wireless "stuff" looked different. It's much improved with SP2.

Assuming that on the router, SSID broadcast is enabled? What security is it using? Did you dad setup the router, do you have access to the control panel? Does he have MAC filtering enabled?
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

ya, the technician who came to my house setup the router. my dad's laptop is working fine on it. so now i want to re setup the router service, what steps should be taken to enabled my dad laptop and mine or other computers can use wireless connection in my house?

every computers have different IP address? or when any computers that comes to my house and online will get the same IP address? does the router only provide wireless connection to those IP address that the router recognise? Is that possible that my router can't recognise my laptop's IP address?

when SSID broadcast is enabled, so other computers can acess to it right? do all the computers must have the same SSID name? if i set the security measure to none instead of WEP does that mean any computers can connect to it, so i can save all the hassle. When i enabled the WEP there will be encryption key for me to set. every computers will need to have the same encryption key when the WEP is enabled right?

my computer has a
    IP address : 61.6.59.110
    subnet mask: 255.255.255.255
    default gateway: 61.6.59.110

my router has a IP address of 192.168.1.1 (default)
    start IP: 192.168.1.2
    end IP: 192.168.1.254

now i just don't care about the security first, i just want my laptop to get connected with wireless. i can only get connected with using ethernet.

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
    First....get service pack 2 on the machine.
    Have to agree. SP2 makes WIFI a snap. As long as the laptops WIFI card driver is properly installed, SP2s WIFI implementation is a piece of cake. It just works.

Verizon 3000/768 DHCP DSL:
    Download Speed: 2802 kbps (350.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 717 kbps (89.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
    :2cool:

Quote Originally Posted by venn
    y

every computers have different IP address? or when any computers that comes to my house and online will get the same IP address? does the router only provide wireless connection to those IP address that the router recognise? Is that possible that my router can't recognise my laptop's IP address?

when SSID broadcast is enabled, so other computers can acess to it right? do all the computers must have the same SSID name?

my computer has a
    IP address : 61.6.59.110
    subnet mask: 255.255.255.255
    default gateway: 61.6.59.110

my router has a IP address of 192.168.1.1 (default)
    start IP: 192.168.1.2
    end IP: 192.168.1.254
    So the wireless NIC in your computer is set to that 61 address? Yes..that's why. The router runs DHCP for your network, your wireless NIC should be set to "Obtain Auto"...and it should pickup a 192.168.1.10X address from the router.

SSID is really just a "name" to identify a wireless LAN. It's simply a name you give it..because you can have several wireless networks in a building...you want to know which one is yours, right? Enabling it lets other computers find it. Disabling SSID broadcast can help "hide" your wireless LAN a little bit...but some wireless NICs don't always play nice if you aren't broadcasting SSID.

And hopefully your router suppors WPA security...it's more secure, and much easier to setup.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

NIC means?
    so now what i should do is just to set my wireless NIC to obtain auto right? by the way any steps or tips to tell me so i can get a hand on it faster...

ya my router support WPA.

okay i have a question, is there anyway to detect whether my wireless card is malfunction ?? it is impossible right? because i can still connect adsl using my ethernet port. wireless and ethernet same card right?

sorry to trouble u guys, i am really a beginner :P

NIC = Network Interface Card...your network card.

Right Click My Network Places, select Properties...right click the connection (Local Area Connection 1, Local Area Connection 2, etc)...select properties..that's where you fiddle with TCP/IP settings.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

i got wat u mean stone cat,
    i have set it to obtain automatic already..when i am using ethernet connection, in command prompt i type IPCONFIG and i got a new ip add.

ethernet adapter wireless network connection
    media state: media disconnected

ethernet adapter local area connection
    ip:192.168.1.3
    subnet:255.255.255.0
    gateway:192.168.1.1

Is Service Pack 2 for WinXP installed?
    Guinness for Strength!!!

i have updated my driver to the latest, my window to sp 2.
    when i try to use the wireless network..
    it says, " wireless network connection is not connected "
    what is that? how to solve it? when i use another laptop, it's okay, it works fine. so it is not the router problem but my laptop.

i have solved the problem.
    and guys, actually the first thing should deal with wireless problem is to make to turn on your wireless on your laptop!!!!!! (eg: fn+f2 on DELL laptop )

Quote Originally Posted by venn
    i have solved the problem.
    and guys, actually the first thing should deal with wireless problem is to make to turn on your wireless on your laptop!!!!!! (eg: fn+f2 on DELL laptop )

///smacks head///

I gotta remember to suggest that in replies....as I have come across that once.
    Guinness for Strength!!!