Thread: DLink 704P C2 router dropping DSL connection

DLink 704P C2 router dropping DSL connection

My brand new DLINK 704P C2 router...purchased to replace an ancient Linksys that would no longer send out email (even after being online with live assist and SEVEN different techs) will keep my DSL connection for almost an hour exactly before I lost the DSL. I pull the plug at the back of the router, plug it right back in and I'm set for another hour.

I've talked to their tech support gal who was hard to understand but her help did nothing to improve the situation. I've done a reset about a gazillion times.

I've had emails from tech support to change/check a gazillion things. I really wonder if the problem is with the IP address somehow. I have DSL with Dynamic IP. However, when I clone the MAC address in the set up, it doesn't seem to really work...ie, I have to go to MAC registry with my computer to get the DSL working. Could this be the problem? OR???

I've returned one DLINK 704P for this on Saturday morning...after purchasing it onFriday because it was doing the same thing. This Saturday purchase is behaving absolutely the same.

Any ideas?

More info please:

-ISP name and link to.
    -PPPoE or DHCP?
    -Modem make and complete model number ?
    -Why are you MAC cloning ???
    -Renew IP Forever enabled ?

Verizon 3000/768 DHCP DSL:
    Download Speed: 2802 kbps (350.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 717 kbps (89.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
    :2cool:

I don't believe the ISP is the problem; I can stay connected to DSL with a direct route to from my modem to my computer...and with my old Linksys Router BEFQ1154.

My ISP, Iowatelecom.net uses Dynamic IP. I called and asked. They do NOT use PPPoE

Modem, as I indicated above, is not the problem. It's the one supplied by Iowatelecom.net a Paradyne Model No: 6381-A3-200

This morning I was on for approximately one hour before losing the DSL..I booted up at 9:50 am...was "off" DSL at 10:45 am. Reconnected by pulling power plug from back of router and back on DSL until 11:50 am. I again pulled power plug and have not been "off" DSL since...and it's now 1:32 pm here.

I click the MAC CLONE option in the Set Up Wizard for the DLink router because the set up directions tell me to. I do believe that's where the problem is, however, somehow.

I have been sent a huge long list of things to check by DLINK tech support and I've responded with screen shots. I'm now about to upgrade the firmware.

I don't recall seeing a "RENEW IP FOREVER" anywhere in the Set up for this router???

Thanks for whatever help you can suggest.

I'm about to have pulled out all my hair.

jane

Quote Originally Posted by janeiowa
    I don't believe the ISP is the problem; I can stay connected to DSL with a direct route to from my modem to my computer...and with my old Linksys Router BEFQ1154.
    When directly connected to the modem and you run, cmd, ipconfig, do you get an external, or internal IP ADD?
    If internal your double NATing and the 704 isn't happy about it.

I click the MAC CLONE option in the Set Up Wizard for the DLink router because the set up directions tell me to. I do believe that's where the problem is, however, somehow.
    Only reason I can think of to clone the MAC is if your modem is in pure bridge mode and you have to use the same MAC to pull an IP from the ISP's DHCP server.
    Verizon started doing this and it drives me nuts !
    Last edited by Mactron; 10-23-05 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Typos

CMD:Config message

I plugged modem directly to computer and ran

Run: cmd
    then ipconfig

and this is what it shows:

Windows IP configuration

Connection - specific DNS

Suffix . :iowatelecom.net
    IP address. :69.66.158.250
    Subnet mask. :255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 69.66.158.254

If I reset the modem and if I skip over doing the Clone Mac Address in the set up for the router, and let the address remain what is the same as that given on the bottom of the router, I appear to need to register with the Mac address at the site my ISP gave me for doing that, for I don't appear to be on the internet otherwise...ie, Page Cannot Display, etc. comes up unless I go t the Mac address and register to get back on the internet.

I plugged modem directly to computer and ran

Run: cmd
    then ipconfig

and this is what it shows:

Windows IP configuration

Connection - specific DNS

Suffix . :iowatelecom.net
    IP address. :69.66.158.250
    Subnet mask. :255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 69.66.158.254
    Looks like a external IP to me. Hmmmm
    Double NATing not prob. Sure your Cloning the PCs NIC MAC into the 704 ?
    If so, the ISPs DHCP server should be happy... I would think

I appear to need to register with the Mac address at the site my ISP gave me for doing that, for I don't appear to be on the internet otherwise...
    Does it "stick" when you do ? If not, maybe call them and have them do it manually.

I think you can begin to understand the frustration of this old gray-haired lady!

I went into the router again...and to the Mac address thing.

There was this Mac Address:00 11 09 FC F7 F4

The button then says "restore Mac Address" and when I push that, I get the Mac Address that's also on the label on the bottom of my router:

00 0F 3D 17 4D D4

So, I restore that...and then I exit out, etc. and I am NOT on the internet. I have to go to the MAC registration page to register...yet again...and I have no idea what that registration is...but I do that and restart my computer, and I'm back online.

I think you can begin to understand the frustration of this old gray-haired lady!
    LoL !!! Well good for you. You've understood and tried to help yourself more than most. Looks like you have a MAC address.. Binding issue going on with you ISP. Get on the phone and come to terms with them on what MAC address is going to make them happy. I'd shoot for the 704's native MAC address if I were you. Good luck.

After trying to talk to the Tech Support whose English I couldn't understand, getting email from an individual whose English in written form is hard to understand then from a "Betty Andrews" which is probably a generic used to make me think it's someone I can understand, I have given up. The DLINK router will be packed up and returned tomorrow.

I bought a Linksys router today, it installed in a breeze with easy to follow directions and a CD that worked beautifully. I was online and all is working within 20 minutes...and that included unpacking the thing.

End of Saga. Dlink sent a link to a survey about their customer support...but the link doesn't work! Why am I not surprised????

Thanks for all your help. Great forum here!

jane

guilijan
    Sorry I've yust see your post.
    I'dont speak english.
    You have a firmware problem. If you have the Dlink router yet, update the firmware.-

Thumbs up

Thanks, but that was not the problem. I tried to update firmware and site said I was current. The solution was returning it for refund and buying a Linksys router that set up ...from box to being online ...in about 20 minutes. Never a problem since.