Thread: Strange issue with Router

Strange issue with Router

I have a strange problem, I recently got broadband connection and the ISP supplied me with a cheapo router from Huwaei, the model being MT 882. The problem is that if I use the built in PPPoE in the router and enable ping block and firewall, my connection would just freeze from time to time even with the ADSL link showing connected. I have to turn off the router and then turn it on again to get connected, sometimes, would take me forever to authenticate. I was tempted with the idea of routers as that meant I didn't have to run a software firewall, sadly this problem forced me to install RASPPoE 99B since I am on Win2K which doesn't have built in RASPPPoE protocol by default, now, not only my problems went away for good, I never get disconnected or face the connection freeze problem, best of all, authentication is within less than a second now. Also the browsing speed has picked up, I wonder if all this is due to flaky PPPoE implementation in the router or my ISP's goof up. I am now forced to run the router in bridged mode thereby a software firewall is a must. Thankfully there is CHX which not only stealths me but probably does better SPI than my cheapo router.

I have also asked some others on my ISP and they tell me the same problem and are all on RASPPPoE, only few are having no problems using router NAT mode.

Would truly appreciate ideas from all veteran broadband users in the forum.

Thank You.

Your ISP may be trying to ping you or somethign with that ping port blocked to check and see if your running a server or what. Can you just activate the NAT and not the ping block?

Thanks for the reply, it is indeed my ISP trying to ping me with SMB and Sasser, their server is heavily infected, one of the reasons, I was afraid to turn off the firewall in the router or enable allow PING, if I do so, the connection stays on, however at the impending risk. Strangely, it works with RASPPPOE and a software firewalls even though I am totally stealth-ed.

when you use raspppoe are u using the router in DMZ mode or not at all.

I would assume that raspppoe and the software firewall work because the firewall does not block your ISP communications.

As long as you are running the NAT function I see no reason to worry about the ping feature.

Either way at least u know why and have a solution keeping you protected

The router is in RFC Purebridged mode, like a layer-I modem so there is not NAT etc and your IP is out in the open unless firewalled.

fem the retarded rabbit mccoffee's Avatar
    enable ping block leave this disabled imho some isp's work better with icmp traffic allowed however you do have the security to worry about aslo manually asign and use the ip of the modem as gateway.

Use an Ip of that network range.
    Comptia a+ n+

See if I do that in the router, I loose stealth, would rather bridge it then and run it with a software firewall like CHX.

fem the retarded rabbit mccoffee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Arup
    See if I do that in the router, I loose stealth, would rather bridge it then and run it with a software firewall like CHX.
    I say try that or leave it in router mode and disable dhcp manually assign the ip to computer
    Comptia a+ n+

Quote Originally Posted by Arup

what do u lose, port 80 or 110 or something? I'd rather have the NAT router than software protection.

Are you able to have NAT enabled when pinblock is disabled?

have you thought about a new router? belkin/eagle/thompson make adsl2+ stuff, dont know the limits from your service.
    Last edited by YARDofSTUF; 10-27-05 at 06:27 AM.

I have contemplated ICSA certified true SPI router from Cisco and Multi Tech as well as Zyxel, but at that cost, I am better off getting a old PC and making use of a good Linux firewall solution like Smoothwall or Astaro, a far better solution in that.

I I disable block WAN ping, all my ports become blocked from stealthed.