Thread: outlook stuck sending messages

outlook stuck sending messages

I sent too large of a file and outlook keeps trying to send these messages. I cannot delete the messages from the outbox. I have deleted the outbox dbx file, and even created an new email account and deleted the old one. outlook is still trying to send these messages.

any ideas are appreciated.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Are you talking Outlook..as in Outlook from Microsoft Office? If so, those use a PST file..it's one large files that houses all of your contacts, inbox, outbox, sent, yada yada yada.

Outlook Express on the other hand, the one that's bundled with Internet Exploader...therefore with Windows...uses the .DBX files. Make sure you're closed out of OE...browsing the C:\Docs and Settings\<username who's having the problem> directory....and delete the Outbox file.

Make sure OE is closed when deleting the file. Also double check to make sure you have the correct path....you can do that by right clicking the inbox within OE...selecting properties..you'll see the full path of the DBX files that way for the currently logged in user.

Also what might get in the way, is whatever antivirus program you're using...since most of the newer ones now have POP and SMTP e-mail port scanning....might want to temporarily disable it to let this one mail get out.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

yes, microsoft outlook. where can if find this pst file?

Generally in a similar location to the DBX files...in the C:\Docs and Settings\<username>,blah blah blah...

Do a search for *.PST

Or...while Outlook is open, right click your personal folders at the top of the list...select properties...you'll see an Advanced button...and the path of the PST.

However....remember, this PST is your entire Outlook...contacts, inbox, everything you see in Outlook..so deleting it, it's all gone. Best thing to do here...and this can get tricky if you've not done it before....save a copy of this PST someplace else...create a new blank one...and if you wish to keep anything from the old one, you can import individual folders 1 x 1..to bring back your inbox, sent, contacts, etc. Just skip bringing back the Outbox.

I'm still not clear, what happens when you try to send a mail out? Is it stuck in the outbox? You can't delete it? What errors do you get?

You're using Outlook in a POP3 Internet Mail setup, not an Exchange Server environment, right?

Do you have good antivirus, current in definitions?

What version of MS Office? Is it service packed and other updates from office.microsoft.com?
    Guinness for Strength!!!

I've seen this happen when AV plug-ins hang. With Symantec, I've seen the rtvscan.exe process sitting at 99% CPU utilization and messages in the outbox couldn't be touched.

If you can't get the AV application to shut down and the messages out of the outbox, try rebooting, then disabling AV before opening Outlook, but don't click "send/receive" until your outbox is clear and your AV is turned back on.
    "Nobody's invincible, no plan is foolproof, We all must meet our moment of truth." - Guru

its pop3 I am using avg. I think its more of a size issue unable to send.

I accidently attached too large of a file to send at one time it seems. now whenever it send/recieves it keeps trying for days. so I am trying to stop it from sending which seems next to impossible. even deleting the original pop account and creating a new account the messages are still seen in the outbox trying to send. unfortuantely i sent like three messages within a few minutes with the same attachments.

What OS?
    What type of broadband?
    Any router in place?

I have seen incorrect MTU settings affect SMTP mail...was common in the early days of broadband, but routers/firmware, and operating systems, have matured since then....so don't really see that issue anymore.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

win xp home, adelphia cable a belkin router. I have tried without any firewall, shut down avg and straight into the cable modem. my speeds up and down seem fine with or without the router.

i let go for a while here and it finally gave me an error. timed out waiting for a response from the sending (SMTP) server.

Quote Originally Posted by newtweaker
    i let go for a while here and it finally gave me an error. timed out waiting for a response from the sending (SMTP) server.
    Any updates? Are you still stuck?

Based on his reply up above, he's using full Outlook BTW, not OE.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

well, i began exporting all my contacts and emails to try and start fresh and i looked up at the toolbar and found a search button! I searched on all mail in all folders and bingo! there were the messages that keep trying to send. I deleted those three emails with the big attachments and now my outlook is working!

its weird that there is no outbox folder in outlook which outlook express does have. its also weird when you export files it show the outbox folder, but have to delete the whole .pst files as a complete group.

gladly i didnt loose any info!
    so there is the fix. Thanks for checking back on me.

Try to use the Outlook Express Repair Tool.

Quote Originally Posted by wwwBob
    He's using full Outlook though, as mentioned again above, the one that comes with Microsoft Office, not Outlook Express which is the free basic e-mail client built into Windows/Internet Exploader. They handle things different, one large PST file instead of separate DBX files.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by newtweaker
    there were the messages that keep trying to send. I deleted those three emails with the big attachments and now my outlook is working!.
    Yeah I've seen that plenty of times.....often some form of corruption on outgoing mail for some reason, and one mail can hold up all the rest you try to send.

Microsoft Office includes an Outlook repair utility, it's free, comes with Office when you install it. Called "scanpst". Do a seach for it on your C drive, you'll find it. However I don't believe a hosed PST file was your issue, more like something that corrupted that first big e-mail, which help up all the others. It happens from time to time....different things can cause it.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

...and now to resurrect this thread...

I'm having the same issue as describe with one difference - I can't delete the huge email in question.

Trying to send one email with a 16MB attachment. I've got a FIOS internet connection (1750+kbps upload) and it's been sitting in my outbox for a couple days.

I open the outbox, select the message - hit delete ... nothing.

Can't delete, cancel, nothing.

Any ideas on how to get this message to go away?

...and a bit more searching...

For those interested ... a bit more searching revealed what should have been an obvious solution to me I suppose...

Choose "file ... work offline".

Wait a minute or two ...

Close Outlook.

Reopen Outlook.

Delete the message(s) in the outbox.